Advice on PS4 Speakers & Monitor Dilemma!

Permabanned
I've ordered X2 PS4's for my kids at Christmas.

I've always been a computer gaming fan and when it comes to consoles I've never ventured much beyond the Nintendo area for the past few years. PC is my primary platform.

So here's my problem.

Kid A has a suitable TV for the console in his bedroom but Kid B does not.

Kid B is a PC fan as such has a PC in his bedroom with a monitor as opposed to having a TV like Kid A has.

I was thinking Kid B could run his PS4 through his monitor...but it doesn't have any HDMI or speakers! :(
So my solution is to buy him a new monitor with both HDMI and speakers. Then I got to wondering if there's a way to run the PS4 via a DVI solution and eliminate the speaker problem via a new headset for him.
Is that a feasible solution ? Or is it less hassle to just buy him a new monitor with HDMI and crappy little speakers ?
Thanks for any advice,
keas.

Soldato
I run my PS4 via HDMI into a monitor and then have an Optical converter> L&R adapter >
Single 3.5mm jack to speakers.

Google " DAC Digital SPDIF Toslink to Analog Stereo Audio L/R R/L Converter Adapter"

Followed by.....

3.5mm Stereo jack FEMALE to 2 x RCA Phono MALE - High Performance Stereo Audio Cable - 0.2M

Last edited:
Associate
I moved my PS4 to my monitor from my TV. It's connected with a HDMI to DVI cable and for sound I have a turtle beach dss2 connected via optical which my headset is connected to (could also be speakers). Works great for me.

Caporegime
kid b either needs a new monitor or new tv which can be used as a pc monitor.

samsung j6300 is 32" and £350 and the best 32" you can buy for gaming, it's curved etc so has all the latest tech in it.

as for a monitor you want something like the dell u2414h as it's ips and consoles can only take advantage of 60hz. it doesn't have speakers though so a tv is probably your best bet and sell his current monitor.

Associate
I've got my consoles plugged into my monitor via HDMI. Since the monitor has built in speakers, the HDMI also carries the audio. I believe the PS4 can be plugged into the (non-HDMI) monitor via a HDMI to DVI converter (I have one myself), but then the issue is sound. The only other output is optical audio, which is pricey to get sorted. You can buy an optical headset. Here's one I randomly picked from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/HUHD-Fiber-...id=1447676455&sr=8-2&keywords=optical+headset

You want the headphones/speakers you choose to connect via the Fibre optic cable into the PS4.

Otherwise the simplest solution would be to put the PS4 in Kid A's room where the TV already is. It just depends if the kids are willing to share.

Edit: Aha! Everything is okay. Just use the HDMI to DVI on the monitor and get any 3.5mm headset. You plug it into the DS4 controller! The PS4 will also work with any USB headset too. Audio issues sorted.

Last edited:
Associate
Do they need to use external speakers? I use headphones for all my gaming saves the rest of the house having to hear all the racket. I have my PS4 connected to my PC monitor and I started off with just plugging headphones into the controller then I purchased a PS4 headset which connects via a USB stick.

Soldato
My ex gf's son has a gaming PC and recently got a PS4 and had the same issue. In the end as he asked me for a suitable solution, I said go buy a Sony /Samsung or something low input lag 32" TV - which he did and this resolved all the issues.. Built in speakers for PS4, HDMI for both PC and PS4, can run both at the same time and just flicks between HDMI 1, HDMI 2 as when required.

Cause this means having room for a 32" tv on the desk. I did at first say buy a TV mount on the wall above the PC Monitor, but he only wanted a single display.

Back
Top Bottom