Is my home network being hacked?

Associate
Hi,

I have a Virgin Media router with various switches on my network. Recently I have been booting up my main PC and have noticed under 'network' a mobile phone is showing up which I don't recognise. It is a Huawei model which is currently not showing up on my network. Nobody in my house as a Huawei phone.

Can anyone advise on what I should do or how I can prevent anyone from accessing my network? My WIFI is password protected. I have neighbours next door who are within range of my WIFI. They have teenage kids so it is possible one of them is capable of computer misuse.

Soldato
If you have a decent password with WPA2 security then they likely won't be able to get in. If you think they have your password or it's a weak password then just change it.

You could also hide your network SSID to stop your average person even thinking about trying to get in.

Soldato
Its more likely a device with a Huawei Wifi chipset than a Huawei phone to be honest. Go around your house turning off any and all devices that could be connecting to the WiFi and see if it disappears. If not, set a decent WPA2 password on the Wifi and make sure you change any admin passwords on your router.

Caporegime
I assume it's a Huawei networking device being incorrectly identified with a mobile phone icon.

What does the properties panel for it show?

Soldato
Cross-reference the IP with all your devices.

If none of your devices have the IP, then boot it from the network and change the password.

Back
Top Bottom