How many of you still live with your parents 30+?

Soldato
Not lived full time with my parents since I was 13.

Been back occasionally over the years when tenancy have been up before finding elsewhere to live.

Couldn't live back with the parents... I like my soace too much for that. Visiting my mum for several days over the holiday will be tough enough as it is; reminds me of why it;s only a temporary stay. Not because there's any bad feeling at home, just that all of us are used to having our own routines and freedoms, so we chafe a little.

Plus: I got to have my freedom

Negative: I know plenty of mates who lived at home and were able to save money for a house of their own. I have not been able to do this.

Soldato
26 still living with parents; but on the verge of moving out after 2 years saving.

Paid a decent amount of rent since I started working at 18. Currently stands at about ~£700pcm. People will argue it is expensive. However, includes all food (I eat for England)/ toiletries/ access to cars/ full sky package/ broadband/ clothes washed and ironed.

I don't think it's too shabby.

Those saying it's irresponsible to blow your earnings in your early twenties need to lighten up. Those have been by far my best years. Decent enough disposable to do anything I want more or less, along with buying any gadgets I want. People I know that saved up to get on the property ladder ASAP to find that all their money now goes on mortgage and bills do semi-regret not having any memories during their twenties. But they do have a house...

Associate
What happens to people >30 who live with (perhaps; off?) their parents when the parents inevitably die. It will be a massive shock to the system. Financially and emotionally they will have to support themselves, and probably practically too (cleaning, cooking, washing). Not a position I particularly envy.

I went back home for 1 year after uni to save for a stint travelling at age 22. It was difficult - couldn't have done it for much longer. I did have some spare cash for a year, but then again that was often squandered on things of no lasting value. On reflection, should have saved the money and extended the trip abroad.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
I'm 30 and moved back home after 3 years away 6 years ago :(

I do have my own house though, a thoroughly horrible terraced house about 8 miles away.

I bought it with my ex when I was 20/21 however she was very unfaithful and unforatunately I was suffering from depression. My parents asked me to move back home when we split and unfortunately we couldn't resolve the house situation. She edned up paying the bills and livign there for a few years and I buried my head in the sand of it all. Got myself better eventually and hoped she would take the house in her sole name.

Sadly, that's never happened. About a year ago I was getting hounded by the mortgage company (The now defunked Northern Rock). I ended up paying off 3k she hadn't paid between the council tax and the morgage and due to them being very lovely about my situation I incurred no penalty. Turns out she wasnt living there and had rented it out unofficially. I chased her via solicitors and she eventually submited and said sell it or take it on, so long as she pays nothing.

Mug here thinks that's a good idea seeing as I could spend a lifetime chasing her for money she cares so little about borring and not paying back. So I'm now paying for a house I cant live in, that stands empty that is 15k in negative equity and it really needs gutting back to bare walls and starting over. So either way I'm 15k in a hole.

At the moment I am trying to take it on in my sole name after being denied a short sale prcoess because the ex won't fill out her side of the affordability forms as that requires brain cells and admitting she's up her her eyeballs in it.

Id sooner be living on my own, i'm embarassed by my living situation. Sadly I am a low earner (20k a year) and struggle enough living with my parents money wise. Sigh.

Soldato
I wish I had lived longer

I can understand people living with their parents longer either for caring or financial reasons - but at the same time if they live at home like children rather than adults (i.e. not contributing to the house work, bills and so on) then that is pretty poor.

It depends on the family. Most Asian family's would never take money. In my case my parents don't need or want money from me.

I'm only in the uk for a week or two every couple of months but even if I was there full time they still would not take anything.

Last edited:
Soldato
no it aint?

If my parents kicked my out at 18 I would have been forced into a life of renting with virtually no chance of ever becoming a home owner. Probably many years of no social life as renting around London on a starting wage would have swallowed all my money.

I won't be kicking my kids out at 18 that is for sure... having seen the difference in my life compared to some peoples who were forced out.

Take from that what you will.

Soldato
I moved out when I was 23 years old. I could have moved out sooner had I been a little more responsible with money and my cash flow.

I'd struggle to move back in now but my parents have offered if I ever need to, hopefully it won't come to that though. I consider myself fortunate to have the opportunity.

To be honest, I can see my parents living with me in the future, maybe 10 years or so from now. My parents had me a little later in their life than the norm and as such, I'll probably be returning the favour one day :)

We had a house rule growing up. Stay in education or get a job and be out by 18 at very latest.

Well that's depressing... :(

If you're not in education, and don't know what you want to do (like I was at 18), the chances are you'll be in a poorly paid job which means you won't be able to afford to live anywhere. What a idiotic rule... :o

Soldato
34 I'm living with my parents :D, I left home when I was 18, moved back home in Jan of this year.

But I do own a house just don't live there anymore, I don't see any point in paying £1 to £2k PCM for a flat in london when my family have 3 empty bedrooms and are happy to have me at home.

I will buy another place in London soon but until them I will stay at home with my parents.
Seeing as you're looking at a new car, maybe just get a VW Transporter? ;):p

Man of Honour
What about the inverse?

I live with my mother (until she can get the house sold) as it's too much for her on her own. Since my father passed she'd not have coped with the financial and physical aspects of maintaining the house.

I used to live in rented accommodation with an ex-partner (until we split), and to be honest I'd rather be where I am now (albeit not for much longer) It's given me the opportunity to clear my debts, save a deposit, and save for my wedding (next year). I'm now in a position where I can afford to buy rather than rent, and it will coincide nicely with our wedding.
You're getting married next year to someone you don't yet live with? That's very traditional :p

Man of Honour
My kids, once earning, won't be living like kids. They'll either be contributing or will be living elsewhere :)

I won't charge them a lot so will help them financially, but they'll need to put in as well as just taking out.

I didn't rush out of my parent's house but did pay my own way.

Soldato
28, I live with my parents.... for now. I lived in Brussels for the last 3 years (on my own), I moved back to the UK into my parents which I've been doing for the last 6 months or so. I will be moving out to Romania to live on my own again in Jan 16.

I don't really like living in the UK :p But my parents were ok with me pit stopping for a few months. It helps me save some money rather than spending it on private renting just for about 8months. That said I still pay my parents "rent" but it's not a huge amount.

Soldato
moved out at 23! :) I just prefer being on my own, yes less money, way less.. ! and it's hard to save up anything but the fact that I live on my own, care for my self etc is good! I think parents need a rest too :)

Man of Honour
I'm 31 and haven't lived with my parent for about 15 years now. I realised at about 17 that me and my mum really didn't do that well living together so moved in with my sister. At 21 I bought my old flat for cheap and had a riot, yea i was skint all the time but I loved my own space, a year or so into ownership my mrs came along, then 2 years ago we sold the flat and bought a nice detached 4 bed place together.

During the time I owned the flat I would have given anything to have the spare cash and lifestyle I felt most of my mates had. Now though the hard times are behind us and after almost 10 years together we are getting married next year, yes we have a giant mortgage but we also have a nice lifestyle and my relationship with my family is better than it has ever been.

I don't blame anybody for not jumping into property ownership, many families are very different to mine, take nick above, that sounds like a nice little setup to me.

Soldato
My kids, once earning, won't be living like kids. They'll either be contributing or will be living elsewhere :)

I won't charge them a lot so will help them financially, but they'll need to put in as well as just taking out.

I didn't rush out of my parent's house but did pay my own way.

Exactly this.
When I was in FT education, working PT and still living with my parents (1996-2003) I was paying them £280pm and covered my own food, elec, internet bills etc...

I'll do the same with my son - charge him a monthly contribution. I'll put into a savings account and give it to him as a moving in present when (if :p) he moves out.

Back
Top Bottom