Best model for £25

Associate
My company has a 'angel tree' where we pick a name from the tree and they will be from a residential Children’s Homes for children unable to live with or who do not have parents.

I picked a boy who is 16 and says he likes music, golf and models. I used to love models as a kid and there are 2 tags for each child and the other person with same one has agreed to double up so we have £25 (£30 max) to buy one.

I liked airfix but I am a bit worried they wont be allowed the glue in the home so to be safe needs to be glueless. I cant ask any questions so nothing else to go on.

Suggestions please?

Soldato
Last edited:
Caporegime
I don't know much about kids these days but when I was a kid the coolest toy you could have which costs next to nada is a 1/32 Tamiya Mini 4wd. Little battery operated cars which simply have an on/off switch and go in a straight line. They go for anything from £5 to £15 depending on which ones you want and many are down scaled versions of Tamiya's bigger stuff, like Clod Buster and Lunch Box. They take 2 AAs each and in typical Tamiya form, you can get loads of spare parts and hop ups for them. Mine went like the clappers and often splintered in to a million pieces when they crashed, but they were good fun.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00...a+mini+4wd&dpPl=1&dpID=41HGsvjTiJL&ref=plSrch

They are kits too, no glue just clicks.

Associate
OP
At work so will have a look at all these later.

I am a bit worried they wont have access to spares if they break stuff so fast stuff like the 4WD may be out?

Caporegime
eBay has loads of spares. The cool things with these as opposed to full size RC cars is that parts and performance bits cost next to nothing. A fully tuned race motor for example costs £3.40.

They're basically slot cars without the slot car requirements. You can see how fast they are capable of going (these are obviously running loads of mods) in this video, skip to about half way through:

I only suggest this because they're cheap, they're fun, they're fast and you learn a LOT from them and you could also get him an Airfix kit to go with it.

LEGO is also a great idea but £25 isn't going to get you much. Never been a Meccano fan but maybe he'll enjoy that.

Something else which is also great fun is a quadcopter. A Hubsan X4 will overshoot your budget by a pound or two but it's excellent value and is actually very good for its size / price.

Associate
I don't know much about kids these days but when I was a kid the coolest toy you could have which costs next to nada is a 1/32 Tamiya Mini 4wd. Little battery operated cars which simply have an on/off switch and go in a straight line. They go for anything from £5 to £15 depending on which ones you want and many are down scaled versions of Tamiya's bigger stuff, like Clod Buster and Lunch Box. They take 2 AAs each and in typical Tamiya form, you can get loads of spare parts and hop ups for them. Mine went like the clappers and often splintered in to a million pieces when they crashed, but they were good fun.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00...a+mini+4wd&dpPl=1&dpID=41HGsvjTiJL&ref=plSrch

They are kits too, no glue just clicks.

These look brilliant - my ongoing war with the cat is about to get stepped up a notch :D

Back
Top Bottom