IMAX Cinema Milton Keynes

Associate
Hey All,

Just wondering if anyone has been to the new Milton Keynes Odeon IMAX Cinema as of yet? I have booked tickets to go see new Star Wars on 26th Dec, and thought as I rarely go why not book the 3D IMAX version and also upgraded to the gallery option.

Just wondered if anyone has experience the IMAX there and or the gallery option and what it was like?

Also is the screen size there 10.32 metres high by 18.5 meters wide, is this a normal size screen or a huge screen just for IMAX?

Cheers in advance.

G

Last edited:
Soldato
Also is the screen size there 10.32 metres high by 18.5 meters wide, is this a normal size screen or a huge screen just for IMAX?
It's not an abnormal size screen, no. There are IMAX screens much larger.

Thing is though, a lot of the screens that are bigger aren't necessarily fully used. Like the BFI in London - biggest in the UK(26x20m), but it's 4:3 aspect ratio, meaning that huge portions of it will go unused in a 21:9 or even 16:9 film. It's really only films that are shot with 70mm(partially or fully) that make best use of it, and that's kind of gone out of fashion. Which I dont mind, because many films would only have select scenes in 70mm meaning the aspect ratio of the movie would change mid-field, which I find jarring.

Anyways, have fun! I'll be seeing it IMAX 3D in Leicester Square, which technically has a smaller screen than the BFI, but with 16:9 or 21:9 films, it's actually a slightly larger image. None of the fancy luxury treatment you'll be getting, though. :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Cheers for the reply Sean, sure either way we are both going to enjoy the film fingers crossed, looking forward to seeing this more than Xmas itself lol

Associate
Hi guys, I have booked for Star Wars at MK IMAX and never been before and was wondering what the parking situation is as I would like to hang around for something to eat ?

Associate
Hi guys, I have booked for Star Wars at MK IMAX and never been before and was wondering what the parking situation is as I would like to hang around for something to eat ?

Plenty of free parking as long as MK Dons are not playing at home, the Christmas shoppers will probably be out in force as well.
Dont park in Asda's car park though , they are pretty hot on max 2 hours stay.

Associate
Hey All,

Just wondering if anyone has been to the new Milton Keynes Odeon IMAX Cinema as of yet? I have booked tickets to go see new Star Wars on 26th Dec, and thought as I rarely go why not book the 3D IMAX version and also upgraded to the gallery option.

Just wondered if anyone has experience the IMAX there and or the gallery option and what it was like?

Cheers in advance.

G

Just come back from my first experience of the IMAX Gallery at MK Stadium. Overall i was impressed. Nachos were tasty, you have to ask for them, popcorn is already bagged up, just help yourself. Same with the soft drinks. they also had chocolates at the bar as well. probably just for Christmas.

Not been to an IMAX before, but the screen is huge in comparison to anything i've seen in recent years. Sound was very good.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply beanBandit :) Just want I was looking for.

As mentioned above I assume glasses etc are provided? best be for price lol and looking forward to the unlimited popcorn :p

Are there any places next to the cinema to have a meal after?

Associate
Glasses are provided for IMAX. Have been a few times to the gallery.

There are plenty of places to eat directly attached to the Cinema complex.

Chimi Changa, Nandos, Frankie and Bennies, Prezzo, Pizza express etc

Soldato
For IMAX glasses are usually provided then you hand them back at the end, at least that's how it works at Cineworld IMAX.

The Cinema is in a complex with quite a few chain restaurants (usual mexican/italian/american/chicken etc included) and fast food a little further away if required... but is that needed with unlimited popcorn?

£25/head is not a bad deal if you're planning to eat/drink large portions. A ticket can set you back £17 and a large meal deal £6 so you're almost getting the better seating for free.

If you're sure you want to eat out after it might be worth trying to book a table for after the film as it can get busy. If not then there's usually another cluster of chain restaurants a few minutes away.

Last edited:
Associate
How much of the film is full frame Imax and how was the 3d?

Do you have to buy the glasses or are they provided?

No idea on how much was full frame, it was my first IMAX film. I enjoyed some of the 3D effects, still quite new to watching films in 3D. But one scene truly impressed me.

For IMAX glasses are usually provided then you hand them back at the end, at least that's how it works at Cineworld IMAX.

The glasses are handed out as you enter the Gallery lounge area. There was nothing said about handing the glasses back at the end of the film. If you are new to the gallery, they will explain everything as you enter.

£25/head is not a bad deal if you're planning to eat/drink large portions. A ticket can set you back £17 and a large meal deal £6 so you're almost getting the better seating for free.

I didn't think the pricing was too bad. By the time you factor in the ticket price and food/drink its good value for money. I think i will be going to more Gallery showing after today :)

Associate
OP
Cheers for all the info :) Im more looking forward to going to see this film and the Imax/Gallery side of things than Xmas itself lol

Back
Top Bottom