My Nana died today

Soldato
Sorry for your loss. My condolences to the family :(.

Be there for your family and just be together threw this time,it's what your nan would want and i'm sure she was very happy to see you all in her last moments, this is what everyone would want in their last moments. Maybe that was her Christmas present from above.

We all go in the end & seeing and being with your loved ones in that moment is the best gift ever. Remember that and really be there for your farther and aunts it was their mother, a loss that is never forgotten. Make future Christmas's a happy time to remember your nan & a time to remember to be with all the family. I'm really sorry for your family's loss.

RIP

Last edited:
Soldato
Well, My Nana passed away at 7:23pm today.
She has been un-well for years now and had a terminal condition with no estimate on how long she would last.
For this to happen on christmas of all days is just devastating.
We got a call from the nurse who takes care of her to get to the house ASAP (she lives 2min walk away), my dad, myself and my mam dropped everything and sprinted.
We called her children who quickly came.
She was passing in and out of conciseness for awhile, the paramedics said there's nothing they can do and she went and didn't wake up. All her children where there when it happened and she was in her own home.

My dad and his sister's are still in tears.
I didn't talk to her much as she kept to herself, but I still feel something is empty inside :(
My dad is not happy as because its the holidays, we cant even have the funeral till at least next Friday.

R.I.P nan

Worst Christmas ever :(

Thoughts are with you, man.

I'll add my own little story to this, speaking of grandparents.

My grandad passed away earlier this year, the day before my birthday. When I'd planned to fly back home (this was March) and visit him and grandma for the first time in years.

On my birthday, I flew home. What was supposed to be me visiting family and friends and getting my jollies at that celebratory time of year turned into a funeral. I was carrying my grandad's coffin and lowering him into a grave on my birthday.

While it hurts, because I loved him so much, I choose to look at it a little differently.

Because the day that my dad called me to tell me that grandad had died... I'd been working while watching a Twilight Zone boxed set for the whole day. I literally (and I mean literally) had just switched off the player when my dad rang with the news.

But I'd never have been watching, and enjoying, Twilight Zone (the original series) if it hadn't been for my grandad. All our weekends and late nights spent watching that, Tales from the Darkside and countless '50s creature features and whatnot are what made me who I am today.

That man fostered and fuelled every love that I had. Because he loved me. And I'll never forget it.

So I chose not to cry or be hysterical or whatever. I just remembered every day that we had in total connection as I lowered that casket into the ground.

I'll miss him for the rest of my life. But I'll see every single little influence that he had on it.

He died suddenly, by the way. No warning. Eating lunch, and then just paused... laid his head down... and gone.

Permabanned
Sorry for your loss, just try to take a positive in that she died with family around her at home and not in a cold hospital with machines and tubes etc.

Associate
So sorry to hear for your loss at this time of the year too. If she had her family around her in her own home I'm sure she will have been comforted. My thoughts with you and your family.

Associate
Sorry for your loss :(
Hope you and the rest of your family are coping well. Their is no easy way to cope with loss, the best action to take is to remember the highlights of their life and all the good times.

Soldato
Feel for you OP. My Nan fell ill this time Four years ago, Was admitted to Addenbrokes & was there for about 9 weeks. She just gave up at age 93 & starved herself to death (refused to eat), Less than 4 stone when she passed away. :(

Man of Honour
Feel for you OP. My Nan fell ill this time Four years ago, Was admitted to Addenbrokes & was there for about 9 weeks. She just gave up at age 93 & starved herself to death (refused to eat), Less than 4 stone when she passed away. :(

Sounds very tough. Not really sure on the truth behind this, as it's outside the knowledge of my expertise, but with the intention of giving you some sort of comfort (and hopefully not coming across as being insensitive in some way), one of my doctor friends has previously commented that when a person dies of old age, one of the first parts of the brain to go is the one that senses hunger, so I understand from her it's very common for people to stop eating before they pass away, which is obviously very distressing but it's recognised as being a normal sign of someone being 'on their way'.

Soldato
My Nan died a little over two weeks ago, and the funeral was only on this Monday just gone.

Couldn't go though due to work commitments, so it's been a bit...... Odd with the rest of the family so far this Christmas.

Soldato
OP
Thankyou all for your kind words.
Managed to get the funeral sorted for next friday.
My dad seems to have calmed down but he's still in pieces

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom