Work issues /w new job, advice needed.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Having worked in an IT call centre for four years MANY years ago (and winner of "help desk employee of the year 4 times in a row no less - I know right!), I wouldn't worry about it - it will happen a lot.

However, you did lose your cool and professionalism when you stooped to his level and called him awkward/unreasonable.

If your LM has a conversation with you about it, I'd go down the route of:-

"Thanks for drawing my attention the issue reported to you. I accept my professionalism wasn't quite at the high standards the company demands, however upon reflection and analysis of the call, I believe I have now have a better understanding of how to approach such a call in the future and will strive to improve my call handling techniques to address any shortcomings identified. If you have any additional training material or sessions you think I would benefit from I would be more than happy to review and/or undertake them".

Just remember, they don't know you, you don't know them, you aren't their friend and they aren't yours - don't lose any sleep over the *****. If in the same situation again, be SUPER, SUPER nice (think American "have a nice day" over the top nice) - it's really hard to be angry at someone who is being really nice to you, and you being nice will lift your mood, even if the person at the other end of the phone is a ****.

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
OP
The thing is, idiots like this don't consider the factors.

Did the installer make a fault in hooking the bracket and television up to a wall surface that simply couldn't support it?

Did he tighten it much too harshly to the TV in the process? Both?

Was the bracket "broken" by ground impact, or something structural? That's actually not too hard to see upon inspection of the remains.

It could have been your company, it could have been the TV manufacturer, it could have been the tradesman who fitted it. It's like they just flip a coin with no evidence and decide who to blame outright.

Unfortunately, it fell on you. Where common sense would normally dictate an installation failure.

You know that, the company knows that. Don't fret it.

Did the bracket actually fail though or was it incorrectly installed, or carrying a load over its specified capacity?
If it's the kind of bracket I imagine, it needs to be screwed into a proper part of the wall, if they've screwed it into unsupported plasterboard panels, then the weight will cause it to pull the mount and TV to come crashing down.

If this cannot be clarified then all you can do is escalate the matter to a team leader. In fact it would need escalating anyway, as if the bracket was faulty then the company would be liable to replace the TV, bracket and any other damage that was caused as a result of the failure, which is a decision I imagine you don't have the authority to make.

I wouldn't worry personally, if you've been polite and followed protocol then what's to worry about.

Yeah man, there is so many variables it's unreal. I'll deal with it, if it comes about and if it is something that my team leader needs to speak to me about, hopefully not, but if so I'll handle it accordingly.

Having worked in an IT call centre for four years MANY years ago, I wouldn't worry about it - it will happen a lot.

However, you did lose your cool and professionalism when you stooped to his level and call him awkward. Witholding your full name wasn't a good idea either.

If your LM has a conversation with you about it, I'd go down the route of:-

"Thanks for drawing my attention the issue reported to you. I accept my professionalism wasn't quite at the high standards the company demands, however upon reflection and analysis of the call, I believe I have now have a better understanding of how to approach such a call in the future and will strive to improve my call handling techniques to address any shortcomings identified. If you have any additional training material or sessions you think I would benefit from I would be more than happy to review and/or undertake them".

Just remember, they don't know you, you don't know them, you aren't their friend and they aren't yours - don't lose any sleep over the *****. If in the same situation again, be SUPER, SUPER nice (think American "have a nice day" over the top nice) - it's really hard to be angry at someone who is being really nice to you.

Yeah that's quite true man, thank you for your help and guidance it has really helped me out a lot.

And to everyone else, thank you.

Soldato
yea think up a good excuse for calling him awkward....

pretty sure you will be fine though. id bet most companies dont fully investigate every single complaint.

and if they do with this one id only really expect a ''maybe deal with it like this next time'' chat

Man of Honour
Most companies don't want to get rid of staff so unless you are completely inept or they need an excuse to get rid of you for cost cutting measures its unlikely you'd have any thing more serious than a verbal warning from a manager (assuming it even merits that).

Try and not take it too personally/seriously - I did call centre work for a bit and its easy to get way too involved when really there is no benefit (unless a customer is actually working with you to try and sort things out then I'd try and go the extra mile) just keep repeating whatever you are supposed to say (emphasise there is nothing you can do), remain dispassionate and tell them to take it up with whoever is higher than you if they keep complaining/if you can't immediately escalate it tell them they can make a written complaint or whatever.

Last edited:
Soldato
Also if it's the type of bracket that has an arm to adjust the position of the TV, what's to say the child wasn't swinging on it in a Tarzan styleee.

You may get pulled up on the 'awkward' and 'unreasonable' comments, but if you were being put under pressure at the time then I doubt anything will come of it.

Caporegime
Don't take it personally, the world is full of people like this. Grow a thicker skin is about the best arvice you'll get because the only other option is to never talk to anyone ever again.

Soldato
There were loads of closer-to-the-line gems where I used to work. Could almost write a book about them. For example:

Customer: *munch much*Yeah, the printer won't work. *crunch crunch* Mmmm think it's wrecked *smack crunch*

Call hander: Sorry... can you please stop eating while we're talking on the phone?

Customer: What? HOW RUDE!

Call handler: Yes... it really is.

Customer: So since the hard drive has failed, I've LOST EVERYTHING?!? You mean to tell me that my data is ALL GONE?!!? All of my work? I'm self employed!!!!!

Call handler: Well, it could possibly be retrievable, but retrieval isn't something we can offer under warranty, and it can be quite expensive...

Customer: THIS IS ******* ridiculous!

Call handler: In a business environment, it's always good to consider redundancy...

Customer: REDUNDANCY?!?!? HOW CAN I MAKE MYSELF REDUNDANT?! ARE YOU HAVING A ******* LAUGH!?!?!

Call handler: DATA redundancy, sir. DATA redunancy....

Customer: ***** ****** ***** ***** ****

Me: Yep. Yep.

Customer: ***** your *****. No I WON'T be available for a technician visit EVER.

Me: Yep.

Customer: So you understand what I'm saying. Offer whatever you want. I WON'T BE HERE.

Me: Yep.

Customer: "Yep?!?" Is that all they "train" you to say, there?

Me: No, sir. I'm just politely waiting for you to finish so I can actually figure out something productive to do about the situation. Can you put your wife back on, please?

That last one that I was involved in was a call back. Which were usually pretty good. Being the most technically knowledgable and experienced in the centre meant that you were handled these "unsolved" cases, and the calls were "warm".

So there was an established relationship, and you were on (and I hate to say it) a nice footing with the customer in terms of having that upper hand... because you DID know more than the other agent who'd ended up generating the call-back for what was often a simple matter. (IT call centres don't hire technical people, frankly.)

But this guy is the main one that sticks in my mind. He just wasn't happy with anything except a technician showing up at his house, WITHIN THE HOUR, to swap parts. That was it. His wife was SO pleasant... she was the one who answered the phone, and after our initial discussion he ripped it from her hand and went off on one. Basically told him to **** off in the most polite way that I could.

But I've had at least 30 others in a similar vein over the course of 5 years. Some more than justified, some not at all. But also the fair shaire of making a human connection and understanding how much of a problem it is.

Still... I'd never do it again.

Man of Honour
Mine were more likely to be drunk carpenters than irate customers - unbelievable how many tradesmen phoned up clearly drunk and finished the call without actually getting to whatever they'd phoned about and/or without ordering anything because they were so wasted they'd forgotten why they'd called before the end of the call - I'd literally got close to 1 instances of that a day.

Soldato
You didn't swear, you weren't rude.

May get into trouble for saying 'unreasonable' etc and words be had but you were just being honest.

I'd have pretended the line was breaking up and then just hung up.
I'm the worst person in the world to be rude to.... lol

Caporegime
Why are you giving a single toss about a call centre job? You seem able to string a sentence together so are way up the charts of being qualified for the job, your employers aren't going to try and do anything over this.

Soldato
Welcome to call centre work. Don't worry about it and carry on with your normal life. Complaints and arguments are a day to day thing with call centres and I promise you will become immune to it if you are new in the job.

In my experience most people are less pleasant to deal with over the phone than face to face (I've worked retail and call centre jobs). It sounds like you stuck to your guns and gave the guy straight up honesty which is not always what they want to hear (even if it is true) then escalated it for advice to be sure.

The customer has the right to complain where they feel service levels have not been satisfied. At the end of the day you done your job, explained the situation with the cold hard truth and then got it double checked when you were questioned. You done the right thing. If you were right in your advice then the person will be sent on their way by your team lead, if you were in the wrong then it will be corrected and you will be informed of any changes you need to make in your working practice.

Its a call centre job at the end of the day and is full of aggressive, pushy customers that will take advantage if you are not willing to stick to your guns. If you are right and they are wrong, don't be afraid to tell them and also if you need something double checked tell them you are going to do so. From my experience customers do not mind you admitting you are not 100% about something as long as you can get the correct advice, they do however mind being lied to just because you cannot be chewed to be at work.

I worked retail for 7 years and call centre for 4 years so I'm pretty used to having to deal with aggressive customers but at the end of the day if you are right and they are wrong, the faster you break it to them the faster you can get on with your day.

To put into perspective, I once had a guy contact and state he requires a new computer system because he got frustrated with his and decided to KICK it off his desk. Apparently that was the fault of the company I work for and he expected a 'brand new and upgraded' computer for free due to any frustration caused. But remember, the customer is always right, right?

Back
Top Bottom