M6 Toll for Sale

Caporegime
All of the trucks at work used to have M6 toll tags, we've only been allowed to use it in exceptional circumstances for the past year or so and now the widening of the M6 has improved the traffic flow the tags are being removed completely.

Even in an HGV if you want access to the east of Birmingham there's plenty of alternative routes that don't fleece you nor really hold you up.

The government should buy the M6 toll and incorporate it into the road network, they won't and it will remain under utilised,I'm not surprised it's up for sale, I hope the new owners have the sense to charge a reasonable rate and get traffic onto it, I've passed through the M6 tonight, early hours, empty road and free flowing, the equally empty toll seems to think an overnight charge of £8+ represents good value, you'd think when they look out of the control room window at a practically empty road they'd realise it isn't.......

Man of Honour
I would add in a "Per Litre" charge to cover the RTA component of motor insurance too. (I believe there are jurisdictions where this sort of thing is done)

No thanks, that means that low risk drivers pay more and high risk ones pay less if there is a flag charge for everyone.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;29168914 said:
No thanks, that means that low risk drivers pay more and high risk ones pay less if there is a flag charge for everyone.

There are ways of getting round that.

But, in any case, it wouldn't matter that much in practice.

Overall as a society, we would end up with it costing us a lot less.

Insurance after all is about pooled risk. It is not a saving scheme!

(I am going off now to formulate my proposals! :D )

Associate
I usually use it if I'm going on a trip up north somewhere. If I've spent £50 on diesel, £200 on hotel, £100 on restaurants etc, then £10 for a round trip on the toll road is a no-brainer.

If I was local, harder to say. Then it just becomes a question of time vs expenditure. For me using it a couple of times per year, it's more about enjoying the experience of driving on a clear motorway.

Soldato
I use it once a month for business, and very occasionally for pleasure.

I've seen folks been pulled over a couple of times, so for me it's not worth the risk of speeding. I just stick the cruise on and relax.

Man of Honour
I use it once a month for business, and very occasionally for pleasure.

I've seen folks been pulled over a couple of times, so for me it's not worth the risk of speeding. I just stick the cruise on and relax.

I've been pulled over on the toll twice and let off. A mate of mine who is sadly no longer with us, buzzed an unmarked police car at well over a tonne that was 'having a word' with another friend on there a few years back...and got pulled. He got some time off driving and a good story over beers. Tax Evader will know who I refer too, the stories about him are long, numerous and hilarious. :D

Live a little.:cool:

Associate
I travel from London to Glasgow a few times a year, always use the M6 Toll - especially with the roadworks on the M6 for the past few years.

Always nice to have a few minutes of empty clear road on the 6 hour journey, before returning to the parking lot that is often the M6.

Lowering the price would increase wear but probably increase usage - I imagine some smart people have done the sums and worked out the current pricing levels are at the optimal point on those curves.

Soldato
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-35553865

It's a shame that the numbers of usage have been so low, given that its goal was to reduce congestion (I presume at least that was the main intention behind planning permission, rather than simply generate profit for its builders), but at the price per use I'm hardly surprised. Does anyone use the Toll and like it?

I'm in south-east Birmingham near the M42 and use the Toll when going North but only because I only do so now and then so the cost doesn't bother me.

The only way it'd reduce congestion is if regular M6 users used the Toll instead but that's not going to happen when a return trip is around a tenner.

I don't think there are any season ticket type concessions either are there?

Personally I think all of the motorways should be tolled on a mileage used basis, (and VED scrapped) but I guess thats a different thread.

So motorway use funds all roads? Why should those coasting up and down the motorways on a daily basis be funding repairs and maintenance on local roads which are smashed up by all the school run mums in their stupid SUVs?

Soldato
Used it twice in the past month when driving to Manchester/Glasgow.. but only because i could expense it. Don't think i would bother if i was paying or I knew there was a delay on the M6.

Soldato
Being a toll road, does it even have ability to sent it's own speed limits, being technically a "private" road?

If they halved the price for everything but HGV (which never uses it anyway) and advertised that fact I think they'd more than double the traffic and come out ahead of the costs.

Soldato
Being a toll road, does it even have ability to sent it's own speed limits, being technically a "private" road?

If they halved the price for everything but HGV (which never uses it anyway) and advertised that fact I think they'd more than double the traffic and come out ahead of the costs.

If it's connected to the roads network then it's governed by the road traffic act. It doesn't have to be in public ownership.

Caporegime
OP
So motorway use funds all roads? Why should those coasting up and down the motorways on a daily basis be funding repairs and maintenance on local roads which are smashed up by all the school run mums in their stupid SUVs?

Yep I'd much rather that then general and local taxation being expected to pick up the bill for local road repairs.

It won't happen though so it's largely moot.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've been getting more annoyed about tolls lately. I've been having to visit my Gran's house quite a lot recently. And you have to pay 60p to drive onto the bridge to get into the village. The alternative routes adds about 10 miles to the journey.

It's stupid, if you need to pop to shops you end up driving about 5 miles to a tiny little Co-op because going to the one that's half a mile away costs you £1.20!! What I tend to do is walk, but that isn't an option if you're elderly or disabled.

EDIT: I have just checked, there is in fact a consession for disabled users. But only if you qualify for motability. And then you they make you apply for it!

Associate
I live in the Midlands (sadly) and could never justify its cos unless I know I will be stuck for hours on the Normo M6.

Is funny when people floor it from the Toll Booths though, launch control the lot :D

Back
Top Bottom