Some simple Freesync Q's

Associate
Hi guys,
I'll apologize first off, these questions have probably been asked before but Googling isn't paying off at the moment!

Getting my first Freesync capable monitor this week.
While it is a relatively cheap one compared to some, I am looking forward to seeing the tech in action.
I have a beta driver which should allow the monitor to run Freesync between 35hz and 75hz.

Setting it up for gaming, should I turn Vsync off in everything and leave the FPS uncapped or capped to 75 (Max refresh rate of the monitor)?
Should I use MSI Afterburner or the AMD Crimsons controls to limit the FPS?

Will overlay displays such as Afterburner or Steam cause any issues with Freesync?

Does VSR/Virtual Super Resolution work with Freesync on the latest 16.3 AMD Driver?

Cheers!

Soldato
Up until two days ago I was using Freesync , and while I was in fact getting around 144-150 fps @1920x1080 and 144Hz in BF4 ...I shut Freesync off and just used Vsync , there was no difference at all, both were very smooth and nice to play, even setting my monitor to 2560x1440 @60Hz...game play was smooth but didnt look as nice ...the card I was using was an MSI 290x ....and yes VSR did work for me .

Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply mate. From what I gather the benefit of Freesync comes from when you are getting less than your refresh rate, I'm always able to tell when my games drop below 60 for example, I can always see small stuttering.

Glad to hear VSR works!

Soldato
I would disagree.

In games where the frame rate jumps all over the place, Variable frame rate synchronisation make s a HUGE difference.

Well while I was playing BF4 my fps were anywhere from 80 to 190 up and down make the game jumpy...but since I have been using it with Vsync that doesn't happen and my fps are from 144-150...it was also very smooth with Freesync...but I had to send the monitor back , had an issue with it .

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Sounds like something wasn't working quite right with your FreeSync setup - both FreeSync and G-Sync have made a massive difference in my experiences.

Soldato
I agree with Rroff. Having the 2730Z for a year, I cannot touch any screen without Freesync/Gsync while playing games.

Had to wait for a replacement due to a problem with my monitor, and that 3 days had to use the old 2410T couldn't cut it. (which used for many years)

Everything looks really bad. With Freesync everything is smooth, and I do not have to do anything to keep up with the highest fps. Even at 50fps everything looks perfect. (TW Attila comes to mind).

Back
Top Bottom