Sky Multiroom Box?

Soldato
In the next few days I am having a SkyHD Box in my bedroom, but because its not the "+" box it will only have 1 feed from the dish to the box. So can I ask the engineer to put me 2 feeds as I will probably buy myself a "+" box later on. Or am I not allowed todo that?

Associate
No harm in asking some can be funny about it but most will be fine if already running a new cable they will just use shotgun cable which is two in one as such.

Soldato
Sky engineer was great when I had wires done.. didn't fancy climbing up a massive ladder to do some CAT7 runs so when the sky engineer came gave him some cash in hand to run CAT7 cables to the two rooms on the 3rd and two rooms on the 2nd floor of my house where he was running the Sky cables; tacked them in and done all the coverings as well.. ace chap.

Soldato
OP
I hope the engineer makes a good job of tacking down the cable outside because, the last sky engineer just ran the cable straight along the middle of one of our outside walls, but it had to go quite a distance. But this time it only has to travel a few meters, so fingers crossed.

I have sent you a email pugheaven and a 2tb box would be very nice..:D

Associate
In the next few days I am having a SkyHD Box in my bedroom, but because its not the "+" box it will only have 1 feed from the dish to the box. So can I ask the engineer to put me 2 feeds as I will probably buy myself a "+" box later on. Or am I not allowed todo that?

I did the same ordered multiroom and I asked the engineer to add the extra line and he did it for me no problem

Then when upgraded the box downstairs to a 2TB I just simply plugged in the box upstairs and paired the viewing card using the sky service app

Soldato
OP
Thanks guys for putting my mind at ease, I will ask him on tuesday;) I dont know why a sky dish cannot do what a normal tv aerial can do and run multi feeds down 1 cable.

Associate
I have also got the regular Sky HD box in my room, and have the 2 feed cable installed (obviously only one plugged into the box).
If I get a Sky + box, how do you pair the card and is it as simple as just plugging in the new box as normal?

Thanks!

Soldato
OP
I have also got the regular Sky HD box in my room, and have the 2 feed cable installed (obviously only one plugged into the box).
If I get a Sky + box, how do you pair the card and is it as simple as just plugging in the new box as normal?

Thanks!

Apparently you can pair the card and the box up using the sky website, but you might need to ring up sky to enable the recording feature to work on the box?

Its amazing what the sky card actually controls.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
The sky engineer came today and he was fine about connecting up 2 cables, but the tidyness of the cable would have been terrible if I left it up to him.

Firstly he wouldn't drill through my door frame because he said he hadnt any wood drill bits. Then he was going to take the cable about 5-8meters further then my door frame, trailing a nice black cable right across my out side wall and drilling a hole through the front of the house for the cable. So I said "if you cant drill through the door frame, drill next to it through the wall"

So anyway now I have a very unattractive hole in my through my wall.... But at least its next to the door frame.

Last edited:
Soldato
The sky engineer came today and he was fine about connecting up 2 cables, but the tidyness of the cable would have been terrible if I left it up to him.

Firstly he wouldn't drill through my door frame because he said he hadnt any wood drill bits. Then he was going to take the cable about 5-8meters further then my door frame, trailing a nice black cable right across my out side wall and drilling a hole through the front of the house for the cable. So I said "if you cant drill through the door frame, drill next to it through the wall"

So anyway now I have a very unattractive hole in my through my wall.... But at least its next to the door frame.
Get a white or colour plug... I did them when I put my speaker wires through the ourside wall to hide them, then plugged the hole, looked really nice then.

Hope the boxes work ok for you mate, I've written 2tb in red on the 2tb one ;)

Soldato
OP
Get a white or colour plug... I did them when I put my speaker wires through the ourside wall to hide them, then plugged the hole, looked really nice then.

Hope the boxes work ok for you mate, I've written 2tb in red on the 2tb one ;)

Thanks very much for both of the boxes, I setup the small size 250 or 500gb box in my bedroom last night and the box paired the card on its own when I got it connected to the net, plus the recording stuff worked after I had reset the box. So it was all quite painless to setup and without having to ring sky either.

Im surprised that there's no info about the size of the hard drive ect anywhere in the software as I was trying to find out the size, going by the model (DRX890-Z) it says 250 or 500gb on the net.

I dont think I need the 2tb box in my bedroom as my freeview box was only 160gb and I hardly ever filled it up, so the 2tb box is going to replace our 250gb box in the sitting room, as we are often having to delete stuff from it.

I have kind of got into this bad habit of recording everything I want to watch and I hardly watch live tv in my bedroom, so I didn't know how Id cope with a non recording box. So your a life saver pugheaven for letting me have these boxes;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom