VR and 3D Movies?

Soldato
I have been trying to find some info on this subject but I am REALLY struggling to get any solid information on the matter.

How/Do 3D Movies work on the VR units, particularly the PSVR?

There is info about the Cinema modes and I read somewhere the vive and oculous have a mode that gives you a huge virtual screen but I have not been able to find out if 3D movies work and are they still in 3D?

Any help would be appreciated :)

Associate
Yep it works.
On the Oculus kit I was able to watch Gravity in 3D while sitting in a virtual Cinema! It also feels like you are watching it on a huge screen.
Drawback was the resolution, but that should be much improved on the devices for full release.

Can't answer for definite for the PSVR.

Soldato
Resolution is the only issue currently, watching 3D films on the gearvr while great is akin to watching them at 720p rather than 1080p.

Still great though and the giant screen in front of you more than makes up for it.

Soldato
There's two ways you can watch, either the virtual big screen mode where headtracking moves the screen around in front of you, or you can have it locked so the film fills your view... I find the latter more comfortable personally

I also find watching a 3D movie in a headset more comfortable than watching on a large 3D TV as it gets rid of the flicker... when they improve the resolution on headsets it should be pretty good.

Soldato
Can someone comment on how well the 3D effect from VR compares to the effect you get from active shutter 3D glasses? Miles better or the same?

Just as good imo. I just created a folder called '3D' inside my Oculus folder on my phone and imported this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Zooh30RXGM

Watched it in one of the Virtual cinemas and all the effects are popping out at you and poking you in the eye just as you'd expect. Except much better because the screen is about 80 foot wide :) Only downside is its resolution, but it's not bad.

Associate
Thanks for the reply. Very encouraging to hear that 3D is well catered for. Blowing a 1080p video up to 80 feet is never going to be ideal, but at least, perhaps, for 4k 3D content this won't be much of an issue ;)

Back
Top Bottom