Eleven children injured in Blyth park dog attack...

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
Terrible experience in every way, terrible that the kids will now never know what it's like to have a close relationship with a dog as they'll be to frightened to get close to one after this. Terrible that a dog has been raised so badly it ends up doing something like this and will end up being put down. Finally it's terrible that other dogs and dog owners will be tarred with the same brush just because of what breed they are or what breed they own.
Fortunetly I've had my dog for 14 years this year and have always lived in the same place and walked the same routes so me and my dog are well known by all.

Hoping for a speedy recovery for all the kids.

Associate
Never understood the appeal of these dogs, I can't be the only one who thinks they are fugly?!
Plus, without wanting to offend anyone too much, they always seem to be owned by a particular type... :p

Associate
Staffies get a lot of hate that they do not deserve.

Firstly the Staffy is actually recommended as being good with children by the kennel club and is nicknamed the nanny dog. Any dog can act out if the owner is bad. And like others have said certain breeds seem to attract bad owners.

If the woman had not let it off the lead and unmuzzled it then there would have been no bother. It was the woman that set the events in motion not the dog. An owner should have some idea of how their dog is likely to react and if responsible should act accordingly e.g. keep on lead etc.

Any breed can bite, and a responsible owner should be aware of their own dogs traits and act accordingly... so once again it comes down to responsible ownership and training of dogs. Small dogs such as Jack Russells and larger dogs such as Labradors also bite, but it gets less attention.

There was a course I did where scientists using foxes showed and concluded that after a few generations any breed of dog could be bred for aggressive traits or equally for domesticated traits. The point being that breed specific legislation and vilification of a particular breed is flawed, as dogs have their own personality within the breeds and if desired could be bred for aggression. So the problem here would be dogs within a breed that are bred for aggression, not the whole breed, which would again come back to bad owners / people being at fault.

Then there is also people's interpretation of something that happened. For example if a Jack Russell or Labrador bit someone (and I mean bit) the person might say it was a hard nip, whereas if a Staffy nipped someone the same person might say it was a bite.

Soldato
The problem is usually entirely with the owner. More or less every imbecile who owns a dog thinks they have a automatic right to let that dog off a lead when near a public space or a piece of ground where the potential for people, other dogs (on a lead) and children are likely to appear. I've seen it at Tittersworth and Wesport where the owners of these dogs let them run untethered, without a muzzle despite there being a sign stating "all dogs must be on a lead". Amazingly Ive seen this around childrens playgrounds and in parks and public Greenways. The owners just don't give a dam. There ought to be primarily consequences to the owner and to the dog for every incident. There's supposed to be a health and safety industry in the country so why doesn't it or shouldn't it apply to dogs and their owners?

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Yup the problem can often be the owner, though not always. But regardless of the 'owners fault'/'any dog can be aggressive' statements (both of which are indeed often true) the issue is that when bull terriers are aggressive the consequences can be devastating and lead to serious injuries and even death. There is a ban on pitbulls but it is unworkable really as staffies are still allowed which completely muddles things.

Soldato
Isn't it about time we had tougher legislation like dog licenses and banning bull terriers. These are used as status dogs and have been growing in popularity, when they flip out the consequences are far worse than any other breed. They also represent a disproportionate number of the dogs taken in by dogs homes.... basically because they're popular among certain low/no income groups with no sense of personal responsibility.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-36330540

Eleven children injured including kids being kept overnight in hospital and needing skin grafts.

(In b4 someone says they've got a bull terrier and she's so sweet/wouldn't hurt a fly.)

I see you hate freedom.

Soldato
Owner should be jailed.

This. Don't hurt responsible dog owners because of the actions of irresponsible ones. Don't restrict freedoms and subjugate yourself to a nanny state so willingly, it's pathetic. What ever next does OP want the government to ban to protect him?

Soldato
scientifically they are more aggressive,
They are excitable, not aggressive. How that excitement manifests is down to their upbringing. If they learn that it's OK to be aggressive, that's what they will do.

But these dogs I'm the report are naturally aggressive so need more attention and thought.....as to if people do this is another question.
That's still most dogs.

Never understood the appeal of these dogs, I can't be the only one who thinks they are fugly?!
Each one is like a furry, miniature Ray Winstone - How is that not cute??!!

Soldato
More people kill than dogs that kill. I vote we ban breeding in selected parts of the country and by certain types of people as they are a predetermined risk to society.

Makes about as much sense as banning a specific type of dog because of one or two bad cases. Remember most dogs just want to please there owner and would do anything to make their "human" happy if their human are cocks then this is what happens.

That said this is a tragedy that should have been easily prevented I feel for these kids and parents I just hope this wont cause a knee jerk reaction, its the dog I feel sorry for we have no idea what caused it to act out and start attacking / defending itself but it will undoubtedly be put to sleep for its actions

Caporegime
OP
Makes about as much sense as banning a specific type of dog because of one or two bad cases. Remember most dogs just want to please there owner and would do anything to make their "human" happy if their human are cocks then this is what happens.

and yet plenty of dog deaths happen to members of the family that own them

it is often the owners fault but it isn't always and some dogs are simply more dangerous than other - bull terriers being at the top of the list by a decent margin in terms of deaths

it is a problem that is only getting worse, party thanks to over-breeding, use of the dogs as a status dog so pressure for legislation is only going to increase

Caporegime
for those saying there should be a dog license how would it work to actually stop anything?

we've got Chavy McChavface here he's applying to get a dog license.

what is going to be on the form that will stop him getting one?

Caporegime

it is often the owners fault but it isn't always and some dogs are simply more dangerous than other - bull terriers being at the top of the list by a decent margin in terms of deaths

it is a problem that is only getting worse, party thanks to over-breeding, use of the dogs as a status dog so pressure for legislation is only going to increase

Labradors are the most dangerous dogs in the uk on the number of biting attacks iirc.

Man of Honour
I must admit if I'm walking with my 4 year old and coming towards me is some scruffy scroat with a powerful dog I cross the road

Reason is I'm not confident if it's well trained and worse still could be controlled if it decided to not like children

Land sharks scare the crap out of me

Soldato

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...ist-of-dogs-most-likely-to-attack-humans.html

Jack Russells apparently

Back
Top Bottom