Think my GPU died, loud pop but psu seems fine.

Associate
Not sure if in right section on forums so do apologise.

I'd been having some issues with my GPU (HD 7950) anyway, one of the two fans was limp so sorted a custom fan speed profile to compensate. My second monitor would every now and then flicker and not work problem.

Was playing quite a GPU intensive game last night and was greeted with a loud pop noise and burning smell (so something's bit the dust), PC died and wouldn't turn back on initially. Inspected all the components for a blown capacitor but every thing looks fine on the MOBO and through the grill of my PSU (Corsair HX 850).

Pc will turn on, All led lights turn on, psu fan spins and even the fans on my GPU spin, I get no display though and my MOBO's VGA led error light is staying on. Unfortunately MOBO doesn't have an onboard VGA to try a boot up with out the GPU.

Do you think my GPU has fried, my psu unit went or both?

Associate
Put a voltmeter on the psu and check you are getting all the voltages.
If you are then your psu may be ok.

If they are then try swapping the gpu to another slot.

Do you have any other diagnostic led or beeps on your motherboard?

Associate
I'm confident that the PSU is fine since everything powers up, but if there are no sounds that indicate that the PC is going through its POST (that is if you have a mechanical hard drive) then it's a certainty that the GPU has been cooked and needs replacing.

Associate
OP
Sorry for slow reply, RL reared it's ugly head.
I was pretty confident it was the GPU so I got a good deal on GTX 760 OC version today, popped it in and everything seems to be working absolutely fine!

Back
Top Bottom