• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Will my rig hold a 1080 back?!

Associate
Hello again folks!

I have pre-ordered a 1080 Strix and am slightly worried that my existing hardware will hold it back.

I did some digging and followed the advice from here. My results were,

The graphs are CSGO, Path Of Exile, Total War - Warhammer and XCOM2 respectively.

The results surprised me as CSGO was very demanding (circa 80%) when compared to XCOM and TW-WH, which I would expect to be tougher on the CPU.

My rig has not changed, I am still running a GTX670. Can anyone explain these results or point me to the appropriate information please?

P.S. CSGO is running @ 4K, all others are running @ 2560x1440.

Thank you in advance!

Soldato
I'd say you might see some slight bottlenecking but a mild overclock (obviously the more the better) should pretty much eliminate it.

Either way, it should be pretty easy to test once the card arrives, if you overclock and keep seeing gains all the way until you hit the CPU limit then it might be worth considering an upgrade but I highly doubt it would be worth the money.

Soldato
If you're i5 3570K is even half decent you shoud be able to just set the turbo multipliers to say 42,42,41,40 for a decent and easy OC. Otherwise search for a guide on getting more but shouldn't really be necessary.

Associate
OP
Hello folks, really sorry for the tardy reply, just been busy at work.

iBSOD - Nope not overclocked buddy, I will consider it however.

Disco P - Why the choice? You upgrading on the cheap? If so I am really glad that 3570Ks are still a valid choice for gamers :)

Ricky1981 - Great DOB! I hear what you are saying. I just wanted to ensure that I was going to notice a huge difference, if not I would consider getting a MoBo/RAM/CPU bundle on order.

Kaapstad - Thank you for the vote of confidence, especially from a don such as yourself!

RanxZy - What OC do you think I should apply? Also, I am running a 4K display, hope it's still ok!

Bimbleuk - Wish I had read this before I replied to Ranx! Thank you for the tip, I will apply that before the 1080 goes in so I can get it stable beforehand.

Thank you for all the replies, makes me feel a lot better about the upgrade. I have been holding off on the GPU upgrade for ages, can't wait now!

Come on Overclockers, release the STRIX!!!

Associate
I'll be running a 1080 on an ancient i5 [email protected] and an also ancient Asrock z68 motherboard. I currently run SLI 970's @ 1440p and have never experienced any issues with anything. Yes, maybe my FPS would be 2 or 3 higher with a newer MOBO & CPU, but TBH I don't see the point at the moment.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom