Do I need a TV license for Now TV Sky Sports Pass?

Soldato
I've just moved house and am thinking about signing up to the Now TV Sky Sports pass so I can watch the cricket over the summer but I don't know if I need a TV license or not for it.

The only things I watch are Netflix and soon to be Now TV Sky Sports pass. I don't mind getting a TV license at all I just need to know if I need one or not.

Any help is appreciated :).

You only need a license if you watch live.
You can literally wait for a program to end then watch it historically.
For example watching a program 1 second after the end credits roll is legal.

I have no idea about your Now TV Sky Sports, other than stream it live, you are in the wrong*.

*How much that means to you is your call! I have no TV licence and never watch anything live.

Soldato
Any Live TV broadcast via any means needs a TV license.

You only need a license if you watch live.
You can literally wait for a program to end then watch it historically.

What if a show starts at 8pm, and you start watching it (for example) via iplayer and start the show at 8:15pm, but from the start.

Surely that is not live? There must be some cut of time point that makes is needed/not needed.

What if a show starts at 8pm, and you start watching it (for example) via iplayer and start the show at 8:15pm, but from the start.

Surely that is not live? There must be some cut of time point that makes is needed/not needed.

I think you can only watch it once it has ended, or at least this is the situation on catch-up afaik. For example Top gear 8-8.30 PM.....provided it is available on iplayer you could watch it was 8:31.

I don't know about watching it historically while it is still being broadcast though i.e. halfway through you begin the show.

Soldato
OP
Any Live TV broadcast via any means needs a TV license.

Ah, OK. Thanks :).

Guess I'll get a TV license then. At least then I'll also be able to watch the news live on BBC iPlayer as well. I don't have room in my current room for a TV as well as my PC so all I can do is stream stuff and a full Sky subscription is too expensive anyway. I'll just stick to Now TV for the time being so I can get my Cricket fix.

Soldato
I thought Sport channels on Now TV were only available live (so automatically need tv license) and there was no catchup service.
[in a previous thread here had been asking about moving relatives from sky -> Nowtv but they needed sport catch up]

Man of Honour
To the letter of the law yes as it just provides the live feeds of the sky sports channels, is anyone going to care,notice or be able to prove it if you don't bother as you could be watching it on a tablet which as it's battery powered still doesn't require a licence IIRC. No.

Soldato
OP
I went and got a TV license anyway. I'd rather not get in loads of trouble just for the sake of a few quid a month. At least now I'll be able to watch the Cricket! :D

Caporegime
Kind of on the same theme, so figured I'd mention it.

Don't forget the law is changing .

From 1 September 2016 you will need to be covered by a TV Licence to download or watch BBC programmes on demand, including catch up TV, on BBC iPlayer. This applies to any device and provider you use.

TV sets (including smart TVs)
Laptops and desktop computers
Tablets, mobile phones and other portable devices
Digital boxes or PVRs (such as Sky, Virgin Media or BT Vision)
Games consoles
Media streaming devices (such as Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV, Chromecast, Roku and Now TV)
Freeview, Freesat or YouView

Obviously you will also still need a TV Licence to watch or record programmes on any channel as they are being shown on TV or live on an online TV service.

Soldato
From 1 September 2016 you will need to be covered by a TV Licence to download or watch BBC programmes on demand, including catch up TV, on BBC iPlayer. This applies to any device and provider you use.

How did they swing that one!

Watching programs on demand is not even live viewing.

It's no wonder so many people despise the TVL and the BBC.

Soldato
Programs have got to be paid for somehow, unless you want adverts.

Considering the majority of things are already funded by adverts i personally don't see the problem.

If that rule applies then they should be scrapping the adverts that i have to sit through at the Cinema every time i go and watch a film. Happy with trailers for future films, but why should i have to endure adverts when i've paid to see the film?

Soldato
They should do different tiers

Pay a TV licence = No adverts at all.
No TV licence - you get ads.

As it stands,We pay for TV licence,We pay for Subscription TV (Virgin/Sky etc) and still have to put up with tons of adverts..its crap imo.

And like mentioned,you go to a cinema,pay over the top to see a movie and are still bombarded with 30 mins of advertisements before the film starts,Will it ever end?

Soldato
OP
I'd rather the BBC just die a quick death. It's all drivel anyway.

I actually quite like the BBC. BBC 4 is one of the best channels on TV and BBC News is one of the best news sources out there. I don't mind paying a TV license but I didn't want to pay one when it wasn't needed but I've just paid up for one.

I actually just got the Sky Sports pass on Now TV and once I figured out that you need to use Internet Explorer and need to have Silverlight installed its great. I can now watch the Cricket at my new place and not have to worry about getting a dish installed for proper Sky and having to find a decent place to put a TV (because I really don't have the room for one).

Soldato
can you confirm whether there is any rewind/catch up on sports (I am still doing a double take that they did not add a rewind to see a wicket - goal/try again ? or bathroom pause)

I had got now tv working with a 32bit firefox and an older version of silverlight

off-topic
Personally Radio 4 (today) is sufficient for news (most does not need a picture - cricket on the radio famous tms says it all?). I do not see what the 'free' Broadcasters can do to ensure we continue to watch the adds when we have pvr's, product placement in the programs has not developed yet (even in USA?) pay as you go that would be interesting (turn off the England football match at 1/2 time pay half)
Also, this week saw some web-sites (computerworlduk.com) trying to combat the browser no adware add-ons and will not show their content if you block well known add sites, workaround was blocking java on the site itself :)

Back
Top Bottom