• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

1060 Launch-No Wonder Nv is King

Man of Honour
It's sad to see so many people slamming AMD endlessly. Do people not realize we NEED them? Without AMD we would be royally boned. Expect to pay massive premiums on Nvidia cards if they monopolize the market.

We should support AMD, not laugh at them. Or it will be Nvidia who get the final laugh.

Associate
Too bad, vBulletin does not have sortable tables AFAIK, that would solve the problem. Overall, CPU and GPU scores in different columns and you could just sort them the way you want. Or maybe storing the data in a Google Docs Sheet and putting it here in an iframe.

Man of Honour
It's sad to see so many people slamming AMD endlessly. Do people not realize we NEED them? Without AMD we would be royally boned. Expect to pay massive premiums on Nvidia cards if they monopolize the market.

We should support AMD, not laugh at them. Or it will be Nvidia who get the final laugh.

Don't look at me, I am typing this on a Quadfired Fury X system.:)

Associate
I had hopes for AMD, before their benchmarks were revealed. I thought they had finally given the people what they wanted- price/performance to blow NVIDIA greed away.

No, they simply priced it the highest possible that they could given the performance of the card compared to NVIDIA. A missed opportunity, and greed will be their downfall.

Associate
I had hopes for AMD, before their benchmarks were revealed. I thought they had finally given the people what they wanted- price/performance to blow NVIDIA greed away.

No, they simply priced it the highest possible that they could given the performance of the card compared to NVIDIA. A missed opportunity, and greed will be their downfall.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_1060/28.html

The RX480 has the best performance-per-dollar ratio today. AMD is not in a position to give away a similarly performing card for half the price Nvidia set. And quite frankly, if they did, people would still buy Nvidia, because a) it's green, b) something that cheap must have a catch (low quality materials maybe).

Last edited:
Soldato
It's weird how attitudes on Gpus are so different and divisive to nerds than any other component.

People don't go into a Parvum thread and **** off a Phantek. People don't keep prattling on about their 6700k in the cpu forum.
No one is one monitor forum getting defensive over x34s. Yet for some reason graphics cards get people oddly passionate.

Buy what the hell you like and shut up about the stuff you have no intention of ever owning lol.

My HDD is so much better than your hdd because it scores 10mb read speed more in benchmark and runs 1c cooler! !! Silly people still buying WD drives !??!

I guess I have to wait until nvidia starts releasing other hardware, that would be funny...

Soldato
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_1060/28.html

The RX480 has the best performance-per-dollar ratio today. AMD is not in a position to give away a similarly performing card for half the price Nvidia set. And quite frankly, if they did, people would still buy Nvidia, because a) it's green, b) something that cheap must have a catch (low quality materials maybe).

Maybe I am reading the graph wrong but isn't the 'GTX 1060 @ $249' better value :confused:

Soldato
Can you get a 1060 for $249? I remember they said something like $379 for the 1070 and it hasn't come close. Best take the actual reference cost as a reference until you are testing retail sourced cards.

Funny if you took time to look, before posting you would know the answer is yes :p

edit: 1070 can be had for $409

Last edited:
Associate

AMD is a business whose primary function is to be a profit making entity. As such they aren't entitled to any special favouritism. The respect they receive is based on what they actually deliver. If they don't deliver they don't deserve praise.

Besides, people being mean and hurting your feelings by 'slamming' AMD on Internet forums is irrelevant. It's all about how the market responds. The market has decided Nvidia is king.

Soldato
The blue line is the reference pricing, which does not exist in the real world, at least not at the tested shop. You can find the real price of the 1060 higher. :)

But it can, stop spouting untruths, Bestbuy, Newegg.....:rolleyes:

Why on earth would they use that price if it didn't exist :confused:

It even says at the top:
We looked each card's current USD price up on Newegg and used it and all relative performance numbers to calculate the performance-per-dollar index

Go to Newegg, the shop quoted, guess what 1060 for $249.

Last edited:
Soldato
The blue line is the reference pricing, which does not exist in the real world, at least not at the tested shop. You can find the real price of the 1060 higher. :)

The prices does exist at the place the reviews says its from.
Yes it may be out of stock or sold out atm But the same applies to the RX 480 on there, after checking a little the cheapest ones i've seen there are more expensive than the 1060's so Blue line pricing is fine

Associate
AMD need the DX11 era to end ASAP. The current market share is a reflection of AMD getting spanked throughout this period.

The DX12 era looks to have good potential for AMD.

Soldato
AMD need the DX11 era to end ASAP. The current market share is a reflection of AMD getting spanked throughout this period.

Although I do wish AMD well, I think it won't take much for Nvidia to be on top of DX12 when it's really necessary. They seem to be pretty good at raising their game/providing the technology when it matters/when it's really needed although there does seem to be quite a few DX12 games out now already and thought they'd have their DX12 performance sorted by now. I'd be surprised if they continue to lose out to AMD on something as fundamental as DX12 performance. Could be wrong though :D

Last edited:
Soldato
I think some of the criticisms we have made of the launch are fair - AMD has a tendency to make situations worse for themselves by having niggles and issues during their launches which makes their competition look better,and makes even solid products they make look worse than they are in reality.

Caporegime

oh my look at dx12 games.there is none.:p

so good luck with that !

big games take 2/3 years min to make.by then even if starting now your gpu will be obsolete :D great marketing for DX12.

dx11 is still the man for a good few years yet.

Associate
let haters hate, I love the benchmark threads and as it has already been pointed out the benchmark score is based on the performance of your overall computer well CPU and GPU so I think the way it is set up is more than fair enough all you have to do is look at the gfx score that will give you an idea, oh and just to defend Kaap there is only 5 cards that are below him in the overall benchmark that has a better gfx score, look at the score below Kaaps 1060, the GFX score is practically the same yet his cpu score is double the performance of the other cpu score yet only has not even an extra 300 points on his overall score showing that regardless that he's using an £800 cpu it doesn't mate a whole lot of difference

Back
Top Bottom