• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Add 3RD 980ti & 32in 4K Gsync or wait ?

Associate
adding a 3rd card Evga SC £341 + water block £80 and Acer 4K 32in 60hz gsync £719 . or just get a Ultrawide and save £200 .

cant believe how cheap the 980ti is now and so tempted to get a 3rd and put it under water and then get the Acer 32in 4k screen. will do me then until volta comes out to upgrade to 4K 144 hz and this way the screens would have come down in price in 2018 .

Soldato
I think if ya want somthing now just grab an x34a, then at least ya get an FPS upgrade aswell as 1440p

I couldnt resist one of them £340 cards, i dont think i would get a third one though in your shoes.

Kaap would be the man to ask about scaling i guess.

Associate
OP
I think if ya want somthing now just grab an x34a, then at least ya get an FPS upgrade aswell as 1440p

I couldnt resist one of them £340 cards, i dont think i would get a third one though in your shoes.

Kaap would be the man to ask about scaling i guess.

Forgot to mention I've already had a X34 , well 3 of them and all went back in December . I went for 3x 27in 144hz Gsync instead but now sold 2 of the 3 screens and left with one which being a TN don't want to use as main screen . I miss my 40in 4K Philips but sold that for the 3 screens in surround . I just didn't like the ultrawide due to some games being in 4.3 mode and then some games looked stretched and awful same goes for the surround but now I've experienced it and only really good for racing sims which only 30% of my games is .

Now I have another choice .

Just use the 27in dell 144hz Gsync and get a laptop . Found a good deal in an Alienware 17r3 with 6820hk @4.1ghz , 8gb DDR4 (will upgrade this to 32gb as dell charge to much for this upgrade) GTX 980 8GB , 1TB HDD , (will upgrade to 1TB SSD which I already have in main PC as will upgrade that to 512 pcie and 2TB ssd ) . 1920x1080 IPS screen. All for £1500 with 3 year warranty (£1370 with 1 year warranty) this is with a 10% discount code I may even phone them to get a better deal as I've seen 15% codes out there Before now .

I've had 3 X 980s before when I had a Alienware Area 51 R2 and it scaled pretty well and was getting 90-100 fps in 4K with AA turned off in games like Project cars and COD and BF ,this is with a 5960x which I've also got in main rig .

It's either upgrade the PC and get 3rd card and 4K screen or for same price get a gaming laptop and then wait for new cards and screens to come out mid next year .

Folk will say well why a laptop when I want to upgrade the PC and get 4K screen , well I got kids and can use laptop in living room and watch kids at same times while playing football manager misses then can use PC upstairs too , game together also ( both have Xbox ones ) take to my family's house when I visit for a few days while missis stays at home ( moved 300 miles from home town) .

This way I won't get the urge to upgrade a PC that don't need upgrading yet well for at least 12 months and I like my toys lol . Got 3K of my own dosh saved so in 2 minds . Come 12 months I will have about 4K saved and that's with the 1500 spent and 5500 without spending anything .

I do like the thought of having another 980ti for £340 and tempting . But if I go this way I would buy the Acer 4K screen first to see if I liked it with no problems with screen .

Last edited:
Soldato
I'd stick a 3rd in. Prices of 980Ti's now. Absolute bargain for the price they are. Scaling should be OK for the most part and would give you that little bit more for 4K.

But yeah I can imagine 4K at that size is pretty special. I'm in your boat. Just sold my 34" superwide and kept my swift.

Bit of hassle for games that don't support it, not worth the cost in my opinion. Stepping away from SLI aswell. Selling my 1080's for a single TXP in a few weeks time.

No buying or selling outside of MM

Back
Top Bottom