Euro cylinder lock recommendations.

Soldato
Just about to replace 5 locks in our house 4 Euro and one cylinder due to someone loosing a key. Currently they are all ABS snap secure three star locks keyed alike. After a comment on here a few weeks ago where someone mentioned they weren't actually that hard to open its made me thing it might be time to change brand.

The next obvious choice seemed Ultion but I have just seen the same tool for the ABS locks can have more blades fitted with covers Ultion and the Yale three star locks.

Any recommendations? I would also like a master key system so the keys I give out to family only open one door, in the event of this happening again I then only have to change one lock.

Soldato
I think in reality any lock can be cracked with the right tools. Most thieves won't have the right tools though. I think ABS/Ultion would be sufficient.

Man of Honour
Most thieves don't care about locks generally as they tend to look for weaknesses (i.e. open windows or garages etc...) rather than worrying about picking or forcing a lock open.

I've got the ABS anti snap, "anti pick" locks and they seem fine to me.

Associate
Iv been looking into euro locks and the Brisant Ultion, Kaba pExtra and Mul T Lock are looking the best.

But as Freefaller said its not the go to so might be worth spending money in other areas if you are just looking to up security.

On the other hand its scary how quick (and quiet) you can snap an old euro lock. Get something anti-pick, anti-bump, anti-snap and make sure its the right length! (flush as you can to the handle not sticking out 1cm)

Soldato
OP
I already have ABS locks. I was just wondering if there was anything better as with a £120 tool most of the decent locks ABS, Ultion etc can be bumped within seconds.

I can get my current locks recoded with a new key set which is going to save me a few hundred pounds so I'm going to do that now. There doesn't seem any lock significantly better within reasonable cost.

Soldato
I've got the keyed throughout Mul-T-Lock in my house. One question though, why would losing a key mean changing the locks? Do you have your home address on your keyring? I'd just get a new key unless theres' some other reason?

Soldato
I have ABS euro cylinders on all of my doors and garden padlocks, one key very convenient, as good as you're really going to get from a euro cylinder. Good enough to make them move on to the next week spot anyway which is all you can do.

Soldato
OP
I've got the keyed throughout Mul-T-Lock in my house. One question though, why would losing a key mean changing the locks? Do you have your home address on your keyring? I'd just get a new key unless theres' some other reason?

The key was lost in a park where loads of gypsy's hang around. They retraced their steps and couldn't find it so I'm not comfortable it is just lost and they could have been followed back here after. It is just not worth the risk to me that someone may have a key to my house. On a side note if you get robbed and theres no forced entry apparently a lot of insurance polices will void you claim (from what I've read online).

Soldato
If you're that worried about security, change all downstairs glass to laminate, worrying about different brand of cylinders is silly (as long as they're rated at least 1 star) if you have normal glass in your exposed windows. eg: the windows round the side/back of house.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I'm not that worried I was merely asking if there was anything better for the money.

Seems EVVA are about the best you can get, cost way more than ABS or Ultion locks though.

Soldato
I moved to Avocet ABS locks when I bought my flat. Nopt so much for added protection but because it's been rented for 10 years so who knows how many spare keys are floating around the area.

The fact you can buy added key-aliked locks is a bonus though. I have one key for the front door and the garage.

Man of Honour
I think in reality any lock can be cracked with the right tools. Most thieves won't have the right tools though. I think ABS/Ultion would be sufficient.

As some of us point out, most thieves won't bother - they just heave a brick through a window, or kick the door in completely. Because a) the average burglar isn't very bright, and b) because getting caught carrying lock-picking tools is called "Going Equipped". So they break in with what they find. As anyone here who has been burgled will testify.

Back
Top Bottom