Manager has upset wife how should she respond?

Soldato
Ignoring the shouting bit, who on earth goes round changing other people's meetings without even asking? Many people would take that very badly, especially if the meeting was important.

Also why on earth would you get involved in her workplace. It is best dealt with by her.

The best advice would be from her colleagues, who know the context and people better.

Last edited:
Soldato
People make mistakes (and she definitely made one), but the manager responded unprofessionally, probably why he realised, calmed down and wrote the polite email.

If it is a one-off he may have just been having a stressful day and she should cut him some slack, but make a note of it.

If it keeps happening, then report it to HR?

This, treat it as a one-off for now, he may have been having a bad day and your wife messing up may have been the tipping point. Not saying it's acceptable, but is it worth the aggro if it doesn't happen again? Obviously if it becomes a regular thing then it needs nipping in the bud

Man of Honour
Turn the negative into a positive.

Clearly there are flaws in the current booking system. Maybe your wife could do a quick report on the current system, and advise on changes to ensure this and other errors don't happen in the future.

Perhaps quickly design a mock-up booking form / sheet which allows for options such as "video needed" and other options which may not currently be recorded.

Excellent idea. It would make her job easier, head off any similar problem in the future and possibly get her brownie points at work. Businesses tend to like cost-free improvements to things.

Produce this with an apology to said manager, job done.

She's apologised already, so I think further apology isn't necessary unless it's him apologising to her for being too arsey about it.

I wouldn't try to use the company grievance procedure to harm him in revenge, as some other people have suggested she should do. I think that's way overkill for a single incident of a raised voice in private, a grossly disproportionate degree of harm. It would be less overkill if she punched him in the face. I'd do what I did when a similar thing happened to me - make a private detailed note of it and do nothing unless it happened again.

Soldato
I'd have hung up the moment the voice was raised, regardless of who was on the other end. Life is to short to put up with crap, especially at work.

In fact I've done it a few times. Oh and walked away from someone shouting at me in person. Gives me a warm fuzzy feeling knowing they are going to rage all the more because of it.

Don't mess up and the chances of it happening are significantly reduced however.

Last edited:
Soldato
Last week I had to tell two men in their mid thirties to grow up and behave like adults after one of them raised a grievance about the other one making fun of his hair.

True story, one of them actually cried as well while I was talking to him.

What is up with people these days?

Soldato
Last week I had to tell two men in their mid thirties to grow up and behave like adults after one of them raised a grievance about the other one making fun of his hair.

True story, one of them actually cried as well while I was talking to him.

What is up with people these days?

Heck I'd have cried if I had to deal with such a grievance :D.

Soldato
1ea5e0c0e928b7e32ac157532609cb25.jpg

Underboss
As Lego said, turn it into a positive.

Can be easily done in word/excel/info path. It's something we do where I work, after an issue/problem we have a learning group to see how we can improve the system and what lessons we learnt during the process.

Soldato
Office politics are just like tribal communities. If someone's taking the biscuit you have to square off to them, look them in the eye and neck-punch* them. Preferably when there's plenty of witnesses including the overall chief. She will go down in coffee break legend

*metaphorically speaking

Man of Honour
On Monday another woman arrives back off holiday and there are 4 of us who basically sit facing each other. She is not getting on with another woman so yesterday we were arranging monitors so they can't see each other. The problem is they need to 100% talk to each other because of the job but the woman who is on leave refuses to.
It will be fun.

Associate
Sounds like a job for HR.
This. I've had something similar happen to me at an old job but didn't do anything about it, which I regret.

This kind of thing can affect some people more than others, and most importantly it sounds like the "manager" who shouted at her over the phone is not her manager, and is not even in the same department so that could make it even worse. She made an honest mistake and certainly did not deserve being shouted at.

Mat

Mat

Soldato
Some of the responses in this thread make me wonder how the hell you manage to hold down any kind of relationship with a woman at all! The lack of support some of you would demonstrate is laughable :p

Soldato
Yes and should the manager bother to counterclaim that a large contract was lost due to the OPs wife's neglicance, then the grievance procudure will result in her being sacked, for gross neglicance.

Great advice.
I highly doubt that.
She may have been responsible for room admin and yes she made a mistake, but i doubt she was the one who installed the room booking policy.
Bolting the gate after the horse has fled rarely resolves anything. There is an obvious flaw in their procedure and it needs fixing.
We have similar our place to be honest and its a clusterf*** waiting to happen.

Surely it doesn't need to go to HR......you may find that in time, he actually offers an apology for his outburst. He'll explain why he did it to lose too many man-points, but still he may say sorry yet.

Back
Top Bottom