Brexit thread - what happens next

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Misleading nationalistic claptrap as it's UK income.

That's your opinion others as available. Until the Treasury open the books which it never will this is the tip of the iceberg as what Scotland actually contributes to this rotten union and what it gets back in pocket money to spend. Better together my a**e.

Associate
[TW]Fox;29857652 said:
Things change constantly in the political landscape.

Exactly, Is there is another indyref then so be it. If the Union is that strong what's to worry about. Though Project Fear will not work quite so well the next time with all the broken promises.

Last edited:
Soldato
That's your opinion others as available. Until the Treasury open the books which it never will this is the tip of the iceberg as what Scotland actually contributes to this rotten union and what it gets back in pocket money to spend. Better together my a**e.

If the books were opened, it would reveal that Scotland are massively dependant upon a very volotioe oil market that is in long term decline. The fact is that Scotland could not financially survive on its own.

Man of Honour
. The fact is that Scotland could not financially survive on its own.

And the rest of the UK is happy to fund that because it makes us all stronger being part of the UK.

The UK is better for Scotland, it's better for England, it's better for Wales and it's better for Northern Ireland.

Soldato
How do you know seen the books ?. The Westminster is doing a grand job with £1.6+ Trillion debt on the books off the books it could be over £5+ Trillion.

Are you suggesting that Scotland isn't heavily reliant on oil revenue?

That's the point I'm making. Being so reliant on a commodity that is volotile is not a great place to be.

Soldato
How do you know seen the books ?.

The Scottish executive used to publish a breakdown of public spending and income on an annual basis with North Sea oil revenues included and excluded. Back in the noughties Scotland always ran at a deficit without oil revenues but was often occasionally (not always) positive with them. North Sea oil income has plummeted it wouldn't be unreasonable assuming other forms of spending and income are largely the same that we're close to the excluding oil case and therefore deficit.

I haven't bothered to see if the Scottish Government prints the same detail I assume they do, it is probably a legal requirement.

So in the past, yes we could see the books, I assume we can still see the books, I personally haven't.

edit: so I had a look Scottish wonga and North Sea revenues have decreased by £7Bn a year at first glance, the deficit seems to be £11Bn to £13Bn with/without Scoil (I'm TM-ing that btw).

Last edited:
Soldato
[TW]Fox;29857717 said:
And the rest of the UK is happy to fund that because it makes us all stronger being part of the UK.

The UK is better for Scotland, it's better for England, it's better for Wales and it's better for Northern Ireland.

Are you quite sure the rest of the UK is happy to fund that? I wouldn't put that to a referendum in the UK if I were you.

Any evidence to back up the rest of those claims?

Man of Honour
OP
[TW]Fox;29857717 said:

We were also stronger as part of the EU...

Caporegime
We were also stronger as part of the EU...

The EU however wasn't as strong with us in it, we practically stopped/heavily slowed the integration of EU states to the shiny (totally infallible) superstate.

Now they can enslave the rest of the EU to the EURO and collapse in a totally unforeseen manner, nah but seriously, was it right that the UK hindered the EU?

Soldato
but seriously, was it right that the UK hindered the EU?

According to most member states yes. They appreciated a counterweight against the unchallenged proposed excesses that some countries would have forced everyone to adopt. We provided a healthy brake. When making big decisions it never hurts to rethink things and slow down.

Caporegime
The EU however wasn't as strong with us in it, we practically stopped/heavily slowed the integration of EU states to the shiny (totally infallible) superstate.

Removed your second paragraph, but I basically agree with this bit.

We weren't committed to the EU even whilst we were a part of it. We were on the fringes, we were opposed to long-term ambitions of the core members, which is essentially a federal Europe.

And when I say we, I mean "our governement(s) were opposed", rightly or wrongly.

I also think they are better off without us slamming on the brakes all the time. They are free now to open the throttle and drive straight off into the sunset - or off the cliff, depending on your viewpoint :p

Soldato
It was often cited that the UK created a good balance in the EU. EU now will just drive off the cliff as mentioned above. They will go protectionist and tax mad amongst all the other agendas they have for the closer union. Even less freedom is coming for those that remain.

Soldato
It was often cited that the UK created a good balance in the EU. EU now will just drive off the cliff as mentioned above. They will go protectionist and tax mad amongst all the other agendas they have for the closer union. Even less freedom is coming for those that remain.

Which is what its members want, otherwise it wouldn't happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom