Is there a faster way to upload photos to Dropbox?

Soldato
Hey all,

Have a fair few gigs of photos accumulated since the dawn of digital cameras, and tried to upload them all to Dropbox a few months ago for safe keeping, but gave up before long as it was taking DAYS to upload them on my standard 36meg fibre (Obviously much slower upload).

Any ideas on how I can get what I need uploaded faster, be it public building or a faster service?

Associate
36 meg fibre should have decent upload rate... what is yours supposed to be? Might be that it's not properly connecting at the right speed. I have 72mb which connects at more like 49mb and the upload is something mega like 1.5MB/s which rips through uploads no worries.

Soldato
What is the total size of your album of photo's? If the images are all high res, there's no getting away from sluggish uploads. I just let them upload in the background and don't worry about it.

Soldato
Fibre broadband usually doesn't have very fast upload. I get 37 Meg down and 2 Meg up, which is pretty much standard for fibre. It can be frustrating for maintaining websites and photo galleries online.

Some broadband companies can adjust the way your service is tuned to provide slightly faster upload, at the expense of maximum download speed. You might be able to squeeze an extra meg or two out this way. Worth asking if you regularly need to do uploads.

if you have cable broadband in your area this might be worth considering as sometimes has faster uploads. Not by much though, perhaps 4 or 5 meg if you're lucky.

Other than that, there's not a lot of options. Public wi-fi hotspots aren't likely to have fast uploads, they'll be tuned for download speed as this is what most people want.

Soldato
OP
2Mbps up is quite slow isn't it I get 20 like Thompson_ncl on bt infinity 2.
OP any idea how far your fibre cabinet is?
Andi.

Probably around 1-2km if the cable goes the route I think it does, live in a very old village though so wouldn't surprise me if the cables shot to bits :(

As expected, will just have to do them in smaller batches I imagine and wait!

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

There is an option to unrestrict Dropbox bandwidth by clicking in to the settings of the toolbar app. Done this?

Soldato
Probably around 1-2km if the cable goes the route I think it does, live in a very old village though so wouldn't surprise me if the cables shot to bits :(

If you're living in an old village it's likely your options are rather limited. Chances are that a service with higher upload speeds such as BT Infinity (or the equivalent offered by competitors) isn't available to you. But worth finding out for sure. Also, is there a cable provider serving your village? You might get better results via cable, although some providers such as Virgin impose traffic management on uploads.

Don
Fibre broadband usually doesn't have very fast upload. I get 37 Meg down and 2 Meg up, which is pretty much standard for fibre. It can be frustrating for maintaining websites and photo galleries online.

Some broadband companies can adjust the way your service is tuned to provide slightly faster upload, at the expense of maximum download speed. You might be able to squeeze an extra meg or two out this way. Worth asking if you regularly need to do uploads.

if you have cable broadband in your area this might be worth considering as sometimes has faster uploads. Not by much though, perhaps 4 or 5 meg if you're lucky.

Other than that, there's not a lot of options. Public wi-fi hotspots aren't likely to have fast uploads, they'll be tuned for download speed as this is what most people want.

2Mbps on fibre is only usually the cheap packages.

I get 55/20 on my fibre.

Soldato
2Mbps on fibre is only usually the cheap packages.

I get 55/20 on my fibre.

Not necessarily. Depends on your area and how well cabled / up to date the infrastructure is.

I live in suburban London but the fibre AND cable infrastructure here is truly terrible. Worse than many rural areas as it happens. I'm luckier than most getting 37/2, many around here can barely get half that.

So there's little point in paying a premium if your provider can't physically deliver the speeds.

Soldato

I would just raise a query with your ISP and get them to test the line.
Also you can just leave Dropbox, running, it will sync what and when it can from your local folder.
Andi.

Soldato
Is it only me who cannot understand the fascination behind wanting to upload your entire photo collection to a bunch of strangers?

36Mbps down, but what about the upload? Some of the cheaper packages only have 2Mbps upload, which is barely any better than ADSL.

That's because it is still DSL.

Even 80Mb package they call "fibre" is actually DSL lmao. Uses the same old crap POTS system which they have no choice but to milk as much as they physically can. I mean the fact that they've randomly decided to start calling it "fibre" is just proof of how desperately they're trying to milk this ancient system.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom