Cycle Repairs (mobile)

Associate
How many of your guys and girls that cycle would call a mobile cycle mechanic?

If someone had plenty of experience (15+ years), with cytech training.

Would you allow someone to fix you bike at your home or workplace?

Soldato
How many of your guys and girls that cycle would call a mobile cycle mechanic?

If someone had plenty of experience (15+ years), with cytech training.

Would you allow someone to fix you bike at your home or workplace?

Yes if required, but only taken my bike to a shop to be looked at once in about 3 years.

Soldato
diy here. With the right tools and a little knowledge there is a lot of money to be saved. So any paid service would need to be the right price.

Only thing I don't do is wheel build/true. And the pressing of the headset cups on the Patrol, those things were super tight. Lbs deployed the massive park press and only charged a few quid and also knocked some money off some other bits I got while I was there.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
diy here. With the right tools and a little knowledge there is a lot of money to be saved. So any paid service would need to be the right price.

Only thing I don't do is wheel build/true. And the pressing of the headset cups on the Patrol, those things were super tight. Lbs deployed the massive park press and only charged a few quid and also knocked some money off some other bits I got while I was there.

Good to hear. You'd be amazed how many inner tubes get replaced buy people that dont do tools.

Soldato
I suppose the area will dictate how busy you are also. what area do you live where the guy gave up due to lack of work?

It was around Swindon which which was a bit disappointing but there are a few cycle service centers it the area which didn't help.

We were using him for more specialized work but I guess there just wasn't the demand for that.

Soldato
I think thats a potential issue, sure there are those that will take thier bike in for a puncture, but I suspect many cyclists can do most maintenance, apart from headsets and fixing wheels.

The only time I get any general maintenance done by someone else is when its already in the shop for something I can't do, simply out of convenience/laziness.

Associate
OP
It's something I am thinking about. Although we assume many can do it and it's simple. Repairs & servicing is a very busy side of the trade. Shops are crying out for good mechanics.

It's not just punctures, its everything related to bikes that create business daily.

Cables, chain sets, headsets, just taken out of shed service, tyres, tubes, gear adjustments and so on. The classic phrase I hear is

"just purchased this online" can you fit it for me"

I think some people assume bike shops are the only way, the mobile guys I see dont really have good websites or market themselves very well.

There is a company overseas who went on a version of Dragons den with a similar idea. Got invested started out with 1 or 2 vans and now have 34 vans which they franchise to mobile mechanics.

Associate
There were a couple of mobile mechanics on a recent sportive I did, seemed to always have a bike on the stand so he looked fairly busy. Don't think he was charging (I guessed he got paid by the sportive people to be there).

Associate
OP
There were a couple of mobile mechanics on a recent sportive I did, seemed to always have a bike on the stand so he looked fairly busy. Don't think he was charging (I guessed he got paid by the sportive people to be there).

Yep, some people do "day rate" or "free days" for business and organisations, will hopefully drum up business later. Was at a council event recently and mobile mechanic was there for 8 hours on day rate.

Had about 25 staff members bring there bike for "advice" and general tweaks. In his words it was a "very productive day"

Soldato
I had misconception that bike sales were growing, that would support such a proposition, but stats like this seem to contradict that.

Principally a diy'er, except headsets/bb's, like for mobile car mechanics I am skeptical that, despite convenience, quality of service would be up there, versus a fully kitted/warm/light bike shop where work can be completed more efficiently in parallel with others (tool investment shared).
Early/late opening bike shops would be more compelling for me.

Back
Top Bottom