HDR and HDMI on PS4 update

Caporegime
No, it's not.

Not 1.4 to 2.0

Samsung designed some TVs with a physical board that you can swap out for an upgrade down the line. I'm not sure anyone ever did this but presumably it included the ports.

The link to the Sony TV you listed means that they had a 4k TV out before the HDMI 2.0 spec was fully ratified. It was the same with my 2014 Panasonic 4k TV, they knew roughly what to target when making the HDMI port but couldn't be 100% sure.

I remember them calling it a '4k capable' port at the time.

The TV may have had a firmware update to make it fully HDMI 2.0 compliant, but the bandwidth had to be there in the first place.

Last edited:
Associate
No, it's not.

Not 1.4 to 2.0

Samsung designed some TVs with a physical board that you can swap out for an upgrade down the line. I'm not sure anyone ever did this but presumably it included the ports.

The link to the Sony TV you listed means that they had a 4k TV out before the HDMI 2.0 spec was fully ratified. It was the same with my 2014 Panasonic 4k TV, they knew roughly what to target when making the HDMI port but couldn't be 100% sure.

I remember them calling it a '4k capable' port at the time.

The TV may have had a firmware update to make it fully HDMI 2.0 compliant, but the bandwidth had to be there in the first place.

And yet the article i linked says the same the thing you are on about ffs.

" The aforementioned NeoGAF forum member, Jeff Rigby, alleged that the controller was capable of that spec, in spite of its release before 2.0 had been finalized. "

Soldato
I'd guess the extra data needed for 10bit HDR can still be handled by the PS4 HDMI 1.4 port.
The jump from 1080p to 4k would be a lot more data with being 4x the resolution.
I think its very impressive Sony have done this, although maybe they've shot themselves in the foot as it narrows the divide between the PS4 & PS4 Pro.
I'd guess the Xbox One could do 10bit HDR as well. A pity M$ won't enable this?

Here's proof from 9 months ago you can have 10bit HDR at 1080p:

Amazon Prime HDR 1080p

Soldato
Is this whole HDR thing being blown out of proportion somewhat, has anyone seen a side by side comparison of HDR in games?

The only HDR I have come across is in photography where a photo is edited but the end result whilst pretty, is not exactly realistic.

Soldato
TV HDR is not the same as photography HDR, except for showing shadow detail alongside bright areas such as a sunset properly exposed plus 'as the eye' would see it shadow detail on the beach.

After watching HDR TV shows like Man in the High Castle & Batman DOJ in HDR I'm convinced HDR is the next big thing, but it has to be seen like with VR.

As HDR is 10bit rec.2020 colour it shows 77% of what the human eye can see, compared to the current 8bit rec.709 showing only 35%. There's a show on Amazon Prime called The Last Tycoon & the extra colours are deffo noticeable. Plus typical rec.709 Blue Ray etc is calibrated for only 200nitts brightness where the HDR10 standard is 1000nitts so the bright specular highlights will be much brighter.

The main reason I'm buying Horizon 3 is because its the first HDR game.

Caporegime
Is this whole HDR thing being blown out of proportion somewhat, has anyone seen a side by side comparison of HDR in games?

The only HDR I have come across is in photography where a photo is edited but the end result whilst pretty, is not exactly realistic.

Someone posted yesterday it didn't make a huge difference on their OLED panel as you already have excellent black depth. I think it's good for LEDs TVs where it gaurentees the panel is decent but whether the actual media being encoded in HDR I'm less sure.

Soldato
On Netflix Marco Polo is in HDR. Even at 1080p I recon HDR looks better than 4k.
I dont have a PS4 anymore tho. Even Samsung wont update their SUHD HDR TV's to HDR in Netflix. Hopefully Sony are better.

Soldato
On Netflix Marco Polo is in HDR. Even at 1080p I recon HDR looks better than 4k.
I dont have a PS4 anymore tho. Even Samsung wont update their SUHD HDR TV's to HDR in Netflix. Hopefully Sony are better.

I think breaking bad is as well but neither of them have the little box thats says hdr, altho the netflix app on the ps4 has not been updated yet.

Soldato
Daredevil season 2 is deffo HDR but its not showing as HDR on my Xbox slim like Marco Polo etc. does.
I don't know if you can spoof the DNS on Xbox to get the US Netflix. Has anyone seen Daredevil s2 in HDR? I'm waiting to watch it grr.

Associate
Soldato
They're wrong about streaming not supporting 1080p HDR.
Where there are bandwidth limitations 4k will be dropped in favour of 1080p HDR as it looks better than 4k no HDR.

Here's proof from 9 months ago...
Amazon 1080p HDR

I haven't tried limiting my bandwidth to check if Netflix keep HDR when dropping the res as the Xbox Slim Netflix pumps everything out in 10bit so you dont know if its doing HDR or not & the Netflix HDR shows have poor HDR... They wont even let the UK have Daredevil s2 in HDR.

Samsung may update my tv to HDR in Netflix in November so I will check then.

Back
Top Bottom