Whats your favourite type of bike and why?

Soldato
What's your favourite type of bike and why ?

For the first 20yrs of riding for me, it was always a race rep, and nothing else !

I just loved the look of them, and was happy to take the uncomfortable ride for the looks and enjoyment of feeling in a race position.

Today, I like naked sports. I have an FZ09 and a Ducati Scrambler. You're more upright, the ride is just a lot more enjoyable for me. Couldn't take the discomfort these days.

HOWEVER all that being said, the bike i have the most fun on is my KLX351, as its my off road dual sport. Riding the road, is a nice experience and all, but nothing beats trail riding. The the vast expanse of wilderness near where im at, is what excites me the most. I appreciate that in England you can't easily find a 800 miles of abandoned roads easily, and be the only person in the space of 20sq miles, but these days i just love it.

So with all that being said, if i could only have one bike, and one bike only, i'd probably go for a decent dual sport... since that's not the case, and i can have a variety, i choose to to have a couple of naked sports and a smallish dual sport.

Reason i ask all of this, is that i was in Blighty this summer, and it seemed to me that there were more adventure touring bikes than race reps, which was always the most popular bike back in the early 00's, which is when i left for the other side of the pond.

Soldato
Adventure bikes over here are getting more and more popular, along with naked bikes, whether that's 1000cc or 600cc, sportbikes less are popular, for certain.

Reason for that? Congested roads/speed cameras mean having a 200bhp S1000RR is almost pointless, you can't use it really. Adventure sports/touring bikes are popular due to bumpy, pohole ridden roads, and the traffic.

My favourite type of bike is a naked v-twin, hence the Tuono 1000cc v-twin :D

2nd favourite is an adventure touring bike that can handle some offroad and 'off the beaten track' exploration, which is why I'll probably add a KTM 990 Adventure to my garage in a year or 2 once my CB400 commuter gets retired. :D

Soldato
Naked sports and new-retro nakeds like the R9T and the XSR900. Comfortable, fun, cool and sometimes practical.
I'm a fan of some adventure bikes too, I do want one for touring on.

I have no interest in super sports bikes, IMO they're wasted on the road a lot of the time.

We all know there's not one bike for every occasion though.

Soldato
Oh yeah, nearly forgot the retro/cafe racer style bikes! The bike that got me interested in bikes was the Ducati Sport classic, love bikes like the triumph scrambler/bonneville and would have one of them in my garage without question.

Soldato
Retro cafe got me into biking hence my Bonneville. But I also like super naked with the KTM Superduke 1290 R being my next bike.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
I like my bikes, just like my women Naked... jokes aside, I think a XR1000R or VFR800 would be a bike I would go for. Although, I'm too young for those types of bikes, atm I want something with decent power fairly light weight and nimble to put it in short a hooligan bike. :D

The Tracer 900 would also be on the list. :p

Man of Honour
I don't think a tracer is for you, you're too young and enjoy thrill riding too much for that just yet :p

The MT-10 is much more your sort of bike :p

IC3

IC3

Soldato
Yeah, Naked is probably the way to go. I don't like the MT-10, I saw it in person... its a transformer. The new Tuono though, that sound, performance and looks... its just a beast. :cool: :D Too early for that type of bike for me though, I'll take one out for a test drive when I do my DAS just to scare me off. :p

Associate
Used to be SuperSports type bikes GSXR, ZX9's, ZZR's etc

Nowadays I prefer the Adventure type's and some of the Tourers, all for the comfort/practicality, not that I own one yet but I am hoping to get some test rides soon to see if I can ride one with my spinal injury the way it is.

Caporegime
Personally I love naked bikes. They tend to have a more comfortable seating position than a supersport and with the lack of fairing you really feel the wind which makes the experience that much more intense. Also, as an engineer, the last thing I want is for all the fine craftsmanship to be hidden behind a sheet of plastic. I appreciate nice welds, exotic materials, brushed metals, etc.

Caporegime
Naked bikes look like arses. Faired bikes look much sexier. It's like a Skoda vs. a Ferrari.

When I'm too old for the SS position, I'll probably just go a fully faired touring bike like the BMW K1300S.

Last edited:
Soldato
Big sports tourers for me, although I take each bike on its own merit.
I do like a few Cruiser still, even though I'm all grown up now. I also have a soft spot for a few of the older bikes... well, older than what I'm currently on, anyway!

Soldato
OP
What's your favourite type of bike and why ?

For the first 20yrs of riding for me, it was always a race rep, and nothing else !

I just loved the look of them, and was happy to take the uncomfortable ride for the looks and enjoyment of feeling in a race position.

Today, I like naked sports. I have an FZ09 and a Ducati Scrambler. You're more upright, the ride is just a lot more enjoyable for me. Couldn't take the discomfort these days.

HOWEVER all that being said, the bike i have the most fun on is my KLX351, as its my off road dual sport. Riding the road, is a nice experience and all, but nothing beats trail riding. The the vast expanse of wilderness near where im at, is what excites me the most. I appreciate that in England you can't easily find a 800 miles of abandoned roads easily, and be the only person in the space of 20sq miles, but these days i just love it.

So with all that being said, if i could only have one bike, and one bike only, i'd probably go for a decent dual sport... since that's not the case, and i can have a variety, i choose to to have a couple of naked sports and a smallish dual sport.

Reason i ask all of this, is that i was in Blighty this summer, and it seemed to me that there were more adventure touring bikes than race reps, which was always the most popular bike back in the early 00's, which is when i left for the other side of the pond.

Here's what I'm talking about with my KLX being my most fun goto bike !! and its by far the cheapest !!! cheap bullet proof fun ! While my other bikes sit there all clean lookin' this thing rolls into the garage all beat and scuffed up, with grass, twigs and god knows what else hanging off it..

dsb

dsb

Associate
I love adventure bikes, had the DL650, BMW GSA, and currently sat on a KTM 1290 SA, but i have been looking for a naked, not sure what i want, Tallpaul has a stunning bike, but i also love the cafe racer style, i want a 2nd bike but cant make my mind up.

Soldato
I love adventure bikes, had the DL650, BMW GSA, and currently sat on a KTM 1290 SA, but i have been looking for a naked, not sure what i want, Tallpaul has a stunning bike, but i also love the cafe racer style, i want a 2nd bike but cant make my mind up.

How about a triumph scrambler? They sound awesome with the arrow pipes, cheap too.

Scrambler

Soldato
I've had a cruiser but all other bikes have been fully faired.

Ideally I'd like:
An every day bike - my cbr is just fine for this
A loud cruiser, but not a harley, a victory maybe
weekend sports bike - RSV or similar

edit:
I might as well have something for touring as well. Havnt given it a lot of thought what that would be though

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom