• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Retail desktop Kaby Lake CPUs leaked

Soldato
Will these be available to use in Z170 motherboards? I assume so as they are still 1151?

Edit : Ignore, should have read the article more thoroughly, it says they will support 100 and 200 series boards, so yes should work :)

Soldato
Does Kaby Lake offer any REAL WORLD performance increase over a 6600k/6700K? And what if you have a 6800K with more cores... does Kaby still lag behind?

Associate
Does Kaby Lake offer any REAL WORLD performance increase over a 6600k/6700K?

Very likely, just a small increase at the same clockspeed. And higher base clockspeeds for those who don't overclock.

And what if you have a 6800K with more cores... does Kaby still lag behind?

Of course it will, but only in programs that use more than 4 cores. Programs that use 4 or less cores will be significantly faster on a 7700K.

Soldato
Looks like the HS redesign is so you can handle the CPU better.

Installed quite a few Skylake CPU's, no issues what so ever with their size etc. Handle them by the corners etc as usual.

Interested in seeing whether Kabylake has 5% more IPC than Skylake or not, and if it clocks higher on average. Very much doubt both points are true, though if they are it means Zen is doing well I guess.

Soldato
Installed quite a few Skylake CPU's, no issues what so ever with their size etc. Handle them by the corners etc as usual.

Interested in seeing whether Kabylake has 5% more IPC than Skylake or not, and if it clocks higher on average. Very much doubt both points are true, though if they are it means Zen is doing well I guess.

I'm hoping both are true, I want to upgrade to it myself but wonder if waiting for cannonlake is the sensible decision.

Soldato

Yeah well that involves touching the PCB and that means not a smooth install as your fingers are in the way and potential residue from fingers. Grabbing the HS is fiddly as there is not much to get hold of and the cpu could easily be dropped on the socket pins.

The new design means no PCB contact and smooth direct install.

Soldato
The "U" series processors are already out so you can always look at comparisons on geekbench etc. Kaby Lake is shining in a 15W profile, the "U" i5 is almost as fast as the Skylake i7. The future for things like the Surface 5 look good, they are getting great gains every gen.

For the desktop out of the box it's going to be a bit meh, but the process optimization looks like it's designed to create a less dense chip for better heat dispersion and a higher clock, so even if the IPC is the same it could be pretty nice for overclocking compared. From Anand:

"Taller fins means less driving current is needed and leakage becomes less of an issue, however a wider gate pitch is typically associated with a decrease in transistor density, requiring higher voltages but making the manufacturing process easier. There is also the argument that a wider pitch allows the heat generation of each transistor to spread more before affecting others, allowing a bit more wiggle room for frequency"

Soldato
Yeah well that involves touching the PCB and that means not a smooth install as your fingers are in the way and potential residue from fingers.

The corners and sides of the CPU (yes PCB) don't have any contact points - they do not make electrical contact with the pins on your motherboard socket. Totally fine to handle them that way.

Back
Top Bottom