• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Gigabyte Nvidia GTX1070 G1 problem: pixel flicker/artifacts after driver update (video)

Associate
So I 'updated' by Nvidia graphics driver on my Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 to the latest version 375.70 due to GeForce Experience promoted me to. Everything was working fine prior to the update but now I get a strange pixel-like flicker/artefacts across the screen, particularly noticeable withing EA Origin due to the dark background and get it within web pages too sometimes. Oh, and Battlefield throws up a DirectX error too now, just add the cherry on top, but as the pixel flickering happens outside of the game, DirectX isn't the primary cause.Nothing has been done by myself such as overclocking, still set to factory default overclock. Here's a video to demonstrate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zq4HrBO2FaA

Battlefield 1 refuses to even start now despite no issues before, Mafia 3 runs but displays the flickering pixels in-game then crashes, while Need for Speed 2015 will get to the options screen at least, but flickering still present.

I've tried uninstalling the drivers.
Installing the 2 previous older driver revisions.
Turned off Origin In-Game chat.
Turned DSR off (ran flawlessly previously)
Changed Nvidia power mode to Adaptive and back.
Connected monitor via HDMI and display port but issue present with both.

Aside from this and hours of trawling the internet, I've no idea what else to try. So I assume that somehow the driver update has changed something at a hardware level that would seem to be irreversible. I've also since researching found out there there is a potential issue with the memory on the 1070 if you have Micron GDDR5 (mine does as shwon in GPU-Z), would this be the cause? I don't really know enough about this fault to make the link and all seemed to be good prior to the driver update.

Anyone have any ideas's or experienced this themselves and fixed/resolved the issue?

Associate
OP
I'll give it another go and see what happens although that was the driver that caused the issue in the first place. Someone suggested via the YouTube video that I should try the DDU uninstall and roll back to driver 373.06 as that seemed to be the last successful stable driver so will try that too.

Interestingly, when the NVIDIA drivers are completely uninstalled and it's running on CPU HD graphics, I don't get the artifacts in Origin at all so definitely linked to Nvidia drivers or the card directly.

Associate
OP
Ok, so tried DDU, uninstalled via safe mode, restarted, logged in and installed driver 373.06, still get the flickering and Battlefield 1 totally crashes.

Man of Honour
You've done everything reasonably possible to fix the issue, the only option left is to return the card.

It could well be the Micron memory issue - which does cause the flickering you mention.

Gigabyte have a UK RMA base and are one of the best for warranty.

Might want to mention this aswell ;)

Apparently, Gigabyte did not opt to switch to Micron memory during manufacturing, so Gigabyte GTX 1070s should be fine, though the company is said to be double checking with its R&D department to make sure.

http://www.kitguru.net/components/g...in-rolling-out-to-fix-gtx-1070-memory-issues/

Associate
OP
Yeah RMA was my fear.

So with the BIOS update to rectify the problem with the memory, is this something the home user can freely try without voiding any warranty? If I was to flash the BIOS and still have the issue, will they still take the card back? I did purchase only a month or so ago so I wonder if the retailer will just do a straight exchange? As the card was only purchased recently, I wonder if the BIOS has been updated by Gigabyte already.

My one fear though is returning the card for a replacement, only to get a replacement with Micron memory and potentially have this issue again. Nervous times.

I did have to laugh at the statement about Gigabyte not using Micron memory though, clearly someone is pulling the wool over our eyes.

I'm going to swap out for my 970 and see what happens, though think I'll avoid the latest driver lol.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Yeah RMA was my fear.

So with the BIOS update to rectify the problem with the memory, is this something the home user can freely try without voiding any warranty? If I was to flash the BIOS and still have the issue, will they still take the card back? I did purchase only a month or so ago so I wonder if the retailer will just do a straight exchange? As the card was only purchased recently, I wonder if the BIOS has been updated by Gigabyte already.

My one fear though is returning the card for a replacement, only to get a replacement with Micron memory and potentially have this issue again. Nervous times.

I did have to laugh at the statement about Gigabyte not using Micron memory though, clearly someone is pulling the wool over our eyes.

I'm going to swap out for my 970 and see what happens, though think I'll avoid the latest driver lol.

A vbios update is something you can do at home, it is very simple - if Gigabyte have provided a revised bios for the card.

There's no reason why you should have to update the bios if you are uncomfortable about it, it is an acknowledged issue and Gigabyte should rectify it.

I would contact Gigabyte direct, they have a guy on the forum who seems quite helpful *, as the vendor will tell you to do it anyway.

* EDIT ;

Gigabyte rep : https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/member.php?u=176890

Last edited:
Associate
OP
A vbios update is something you can do at home, it is very simple - if Gigabyte have provided a revised bios for the card.

There's no reason why you should have to update the bios if you are uncomfortable about it, it is an acknowledged issue and Gigabyte should rectify it.

I would contact Gigabyte direct, they have a guy on the forum who seems quite helpful *, as the vendor will tell you to do it anyway.

* EDIT ;

Gigabyte rep : https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/member.php?u=176890

Brizzles, really grateful for the help with this and the link.

Having looked on the Gigabyte website they do have vBIOS files available. Using GPU-Z I see I have vBIOS F11_Beta revision 86.04.26.00.56 released 04-08-2016 but they have since added vBIOS F2 revision 86.04.50.00.7A as of 31-10-16 initerstingly. Not sure if there is some coincidence here that latest Nvidia drivers seem to cause an issue with the cards for there then to be a vBIOS update released by Gigabyte today. I'm also assuming that even if I RMA the card and get a new one, it'll be a few months yet before they are manufactured with the latest F2 BIOS installed and with Samsung chips so would be in a similar position even with a new GPU.

Guess the question for the rep is where I stand on warranty and would there still be terms for RMA'ing the card with the original distributor.

Associate
OP
Ah, hang on. As I'm just running off the stock on-board graphics of my i7-6700K I'm currently on using one screen with Windows Snap feature so didn't see the slider, there is more info regarding the BIOS versions and it appears the F2 revision is actually for the Samsung chips, whereas the F11_Beta version I have already is the vBIOS for Micron chips which mine has.

Bugger! Guess that rules out flashing the BIOS as a potential fix.

Man of Honour
Brizzles, really grateful for the help with this and the link.

Having looked on the Gigabyte website they do have vBIOS files available. Using GPU-Z I see I have vBIOS F11_Beta revision 86.04.26.00.56 released 04-08-2016 but they have since added vBIOS F2 revision 86.04.50.00.7A as of 31-10-16 initerstingly. Not sure if there is some coincidence here that latest Nvidia drivers seem to cause an issue with the cards for there then to be a vBIOS update released by Gigabyte today. I'm also assuming that even if I RMA the card and get a new one, it'll be a few months yet before they are manufactured with the latest F2 BIOS installed and with Samsung chips so would be in a similar position even with a new GPU.

Guess the question for the rep is where I stand on warranty and would there still be terms for RMA'ing the card with the original distributor.

If it was me, then i would use the new bios before going to RMA, going without your 1070 would be a pain.

Check out a guide , or read up, before you update the bios - Just to get it clear in your head what you are doing - it really is simple ( though it can appear daunting the first time ).

Man of Honour
Ah, hang on. As I'm just running off the stock on-board graphics of my i7-6700K I'm currently on using one screen with Windows Snap feature so didn't see the slider, there is more info regarding the BIOS versions and it appears the F2 revision is actually for the Samsung chips, whereas the F11_Beta version I have already is the vBIOS for Micron chips which mine has.

Bugger! Guess that rules out flashing the BIOS as a potential fix.

Yeh, I just looked at the Gigabyte bios, and it does seem specific to Samsung memory, so i wouldn't risk it.

RMA is the only option now i'm afraid :(

Associate
OP
Yeah I know what you mean, though I still have my 970 to fall back on as a temp. Although the BIOS flash seemed a potential fix, see my previous post as I now realise I have the latest Micron BIOS version on the card already. I'm pretty gutted as looking like the BIOS wouldn't help now :(

Associate
OP
Right, installed my Gigabyte GTX 970, installed Nvidia driver 373.06 and all good. No flickering/artifacts and Battlefield 1 launches and runs perfectly.

Looks like I need to get on to that RMA process then. *Sigh* At least I have the 970 to keep me going for now.

Associate
I just got confirmation from R&D that we have an updated BIOS coming for the Micron memory cards that will be ready soon.
Please keep an eye out on our web, if that doesn't do it for you we'll figure something else out.

Back
Top Bottom