Tax Payers to spend £369m on one family

Man of Honour
we are all deemed 'subjects' aka 'serfs/slaves #'less than' to the crown/monachy but men and women are missing the trick here :(

They're just not falling for your trick, which isn't surprising given how implausible it is.

"subject", "serf" and "slave" are completely different things. Only someone without any knowledge of the subject would mistake them for the same thing. There haven't been any slaves in the UK since 1772 and slavery was never common here. There haven't been any serfs in England or Wales since 1574 and serfdom hasn't been common here since the high medieval period. Unless you're a time traveller posting from the past, you're not deemed to be a serf or a slave.

As for "subject", that's an irrelevant technicality today. The government restricts our freedoms far more than the monarchy does (or ever did, in most respects).

Your trick is silly. It's not surprising few people fall for it.

Soldato
a building that like mentioned should have been made into a full time Museum by now...
Which would still then be in need of repair...
That's assuming it doesn't just get sold off, of course.

It could have gone to our NHS that desperately needs additional funding.
Why not just burn all the money?
Burn it, or give it to the rich people... because that's where it IS going in the NHS. Layers of middle-management cut costs by underfunding the NHS and cutting staff, instead paying out to outsourced consultants and contractors, who in turn pay dividends to their foreign investment shareholders.
Meanwhile, the lack of nurses, support staff and resources continues, the NHS fails and is replaced by private health care. Good one.

So are the English.
They're Germanic, but technically not German.
The Angeln and Saxons originated from an area that was more Southern Denmark than Germany.

Not the Scots, they're pureblood picts.
For the most part, the Scots have had a lot of Norse blood thanks to the settlers. There was a programme (BBC style) that showed how certain areas of Scotland were genetically almost entirely Norse (Icelandic or Norwegian, I think) and even most of the local place names were Norse rather than Celtic.

why a king of Scotland inherited the throne of England in the 17th century).
That was because the grand-neice of Henry VIII, who was in line to the Scottish throne, married her first cousin who was also in line to the Scottish throne. That made their kid next in line for both thrones.
Mostly about marriage and nothing to do with genetics, although if you want to split heirs (geddit?), the Tudors were Welsh.

The whole idea of "pureblood" is nonsense. As far as we can tell, modern humans in Europe, Britain and Ireland aren't even "pureblood" homo sapiens. The same may well be true of people everywhere.
Only a filthy little Muggle-born Mudblood would say that!!! :p

There's more to the UK than tourism money on the backs of the RF. France had the right idea. They decapitated their Monarchy and look at how much tourism they enjoy today as a Republic. People are still going to come here, RF or no RF.
That's because France still has a rich culture, a long history and amazing food.
The UK has rain, benefits fraud and The X Factor..... and we're not even allowed to take pride in that, without being called racists!

Ditch the RF and that will set the precedent for ditching any other aspects of our culture and history that can be sold off... but the thing is - you won't see a penny of that money, either. The government still need their final salary pensions and selling the remaining gold reserves won't be enough any more.

Soldato
That's because France still has a rich culture, a long history and amazing food.
The UK has rain, benefits fraud and The X Factor..... and we're not even allowed to take pride in that, without being called racists!

We have a rich culture too and a long history and our food is better than ever, just look at the large number of Michelin Star restaurants we have in the UK now. If you think all we are are benefits frauds and X-Factor wannabe's then that says more about you (living in a cave?) than it does about our great nation.

Soldato
In reference to the post on the origins of the native peoples of the British Isles.

Mostly we are the genetic progeny of hunter gathers that re-entered the British Isles 8,000-14,000 years ago after the re-expansion following the last ice age. The Celts, Romans, Angles, Saxons, Jutes, Vikings, Normans et al had profound cultural impacts on the populations but limited genetic impact. They replaced the indigenous peoples at the top of the pile not genetic extermination and replacement. This can be demonstrated through DNA and archaeology to the best of my knowledge.

And on the OP's comments. Buckingham Palace performs functions of state for 10 months of the year and is open to the public for 2 months of the year. The Monarchy are our servants not our masters in our constitutional democracy.

Caporegime
The queen has a personal net worth of $425 million.

http://fortune.com/2016/04/21/tqueen-elizabeth-birthday-net-worth/

It'd be nice if she used some of that to pay for the upkeep of her house.

So what you are saying is she should sell some her own personal assets to repair a building she doesn't want to live in but is required to by us?

Just remember that when your employer asks you to pay for some of their office repairs out of your personal savings.

Soldato
So what you are saying is she should sell some her own personal assets to repair a building she doesn't want to live in but is required to by us?

Just remember that when your employer asks you to pay for some of their office repairs out of your personal savings.

Yeah, because my employment & the Queens are directly comparable.

Soldato
The queen has a personal net worth of $425 million.

http://fortune.com/2016/04/21/tqueen-elizabeth-birthday-net-worth/

It'd be nice if she used some of that to pay for the upkeep of her house.

The Queen lives in Buckingham Palace in much the same way as I might live in a block of flats. Most of it is no more her "House" than the rest of the block of flats would be mine.

(She actually lives in a relatively modest apartment contained within. The rest of the building has various other functions unrelated to her personal residence.)

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Burn it to the ground, and build a park for everyone to use or affordable homes out of the rubble.

I would love to be knighted just to refuse to Kneel in-front of some over zealot shop keeper.

Caporegime
Yeah, because my employment & the Queens are directly comparable.

I don't see your point? The Queen has always said she doesn't want to live in Buckingham palace but WE insists that she does.

If I was the Queen and I got told I should pay for it out of my own pocket I would tell them where to go and move out.

Its mainly used for official business anyway.

But as has been said many times over but people just ignore. It is been paid for out of the profit the Crown Estate makes each year, some £300m.

Me, you and the British Tax Payer is not paying a penny.

Soldato
SPG said:
Contract needs to be torn up and the royal family down to the 10th cousin burnt or heads chopped off and put on pikes IMO, even then its not enough to say sorry for the amount of suffering and pain they caused throughout the ages.

SPG said:
I would love to be knighted just to refuse to Kneel in-front of some over zealous shop keeper

I can say with some clarity that you'll never have anyone offer to knight you in recognition of your 'achievements', whatever they may be.
You'll be spared that effrontery.

Soldato
How does it cost that much money! I drove past Buckingham Palace yesterday and it's not THAT huge. £369 million!

Probably not a good idea for you to look up the repair bill for the Palace of Westminster then.

Could pay for another aircraft carrier and have change left over.

Associate
...even then its not enough to say sorry for the amount of suffering and pain they caused throughout the ages.

This is my favourite quote of the whole thread.

I'm not sure the current Royal Family are responsible for much pain and suffering. You'd probably have to go back quite far to some people they are loosely connected with to get the source of that vague "suffering and pain".

Soldato
We have a rich culture too and a long history and our food is better than ever, just look at the large number of Michelin Star restaurants we have in the UK now.
Most Michelin-starred cuisine is FRENCH in origin, cooked and served by French (and sometimes other European) people.
As for history and culture - The English are the only nation I know of who are taught to be ashamed of themselves. Everywhere else is allowed to celebrate their nationality, but when the English do it? Oh NOOOOO, can't do that - That's racist and people will get offended!!!

Most can't even tell the difference between being English and being British!!

If you think all we are are benefits frauds and X-Factor wannabe's then that says more about you (living in a cave?) than it does about our great nation.
Nation? Or Nation State?
OK, so what's definitively English, then? What is ours that we can call our own and celebrate?
What have we, the proud warrior nation of Angeln and Saxon, with a side-serving of Jute, got to sing and dance about today?

How does it cost that much money! I drove past Buckingham Palace yesterday and it's not THAT huge. £369 million!
How much does it cost to renovate a Grade I listed 2-up-2-down house?
Multiply that by about 194 and there ya go.

Soldato
They should just demolish it and build a modern HoP - the current building isn't even that old. Sure a new building would be cheaper than refurbishing the old one.

Aye but that will never happen because amongst many things the building itself is a symbol worldwide.

My question is how come the HoP is at least 12x the cost of the palace to refurb?

Soldato
Good grief OCUK, how many times must people explain how the Royal Family pay for it themselves and actually give most of the money away.
NO, I WILL NOT LISTEN, I WILL PUT MY HEAD IN THE SAND AND KEEP SPOTING THE SAME CRAP.

This, if you look at the facts they don't really cost us anything.

Back
Top Bottom