Connecting 2016 Macbook Pro to Dell u2515h

Associate
I'm likely to be ordering a new 13" 2016 Macbook Pro, however what I can't see is how best to hook it up to the Dell u2515h.

Currently I have a 2012 Macbook Air and have it connected via DisplayPort using the mini-DisplayPort cable that came with the monitor, however things don't seem so simple this time around.

Apple sell a Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter, however that doesn't appear to support DisplayPort monitors. They also sell a USB C to HDMI adaptor, but it's not clear whether that will run 60 Hz at 2560 x 1440.

I have done some Googling but found conflicting info. Is anyone running anything similar? Any suggestions much appreciated.

Associate
I use the Apple USB-C AV adapter every day at work, but usually only with 1080p monitors/TVs.

Your monitor supports HDMI 1.4 and the USB-C AV adapter is also HDMI 1.4. Using the adapter should therefore give you native 2560x1440 @60Hz without issue. If not, it's Apple - you can just return the open box without a reason.

Associate
USB-c alternate mode should allow direct passthrough of displayport.

Try getting a USB-C - display port cable. They should exists. I recommend to get it from place where you can make a return if it doesn't work.

Associate
I have the usb c av adapter for my 12" macbook and used it on my dell s2716dg. It does work at 1440p but the damn monitors standby is so aggressive that it is hard to get it to wake back up after the macbook goes sleep. Works fine on my tv but obviously that doesn't go to sleep on signal loss.

Back
Top Bottom