Can I use a BT YouView box with a new Plusnet account

Soldato
I'm looking at switching my dad from BT (for fibre, phone line and TV) over to Plusnet - the packages differ as follows:

BT Offering:

• 52MB speed fibre (25GB per month usage cap)
  • Phone line rental and evening and weekend calls
  • BT TV

Monthly cost: Circa £50 p/m

Plusnet Offering

• 38MB fibre (unlimited)
  • Phone line rental and evening and weekend calls
  • Plusnet's Youview TV (not 100% sure what this will include channel-wise but I;m imagining it will be very similar to BT!)

Monthly cost: £30 p/m

Obviously the Plusnet deal is loads cheaper than he's paying now but they are wanting to charge £57 for a new YouView box (or he can have the non-"plus" box for a fiver that I assume just doesn't have any record facility??) - obviously he's got the existing YouView box that he got from BT - does anyone know if he can just use that one and therefore avoid the £57 upfront cost??

Thanks...

Last edited:

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
That BT deal isn't particularly good. £50/pm with a cap?! What channels was he getting in that package? Infinity one (no cap) with line rental is £29.99 and BT TV from £3/month. What's his service been like? Might be worth good no back to them with what Plusnet are offering and see if they'll match.

Soldato
OP
Yeah, it was a discounted deal where the discount dropped off after 12 of the 18 months - looking at his last bill he is being charged about £23 for the fibre connection and evening and weekend calls plus another £9.25 for the BT TV package (although I don't think they watch many, if any, of the "premium" channels) - he's paid his line rental up for 12 months but is circa £17 p/m - giving the £50 total per month when that is back in the mix!

Going to give BT a call to see what they can offer but good to know there is a competitive package out there!

Back
Top Bottom