USB chargers versus USB power supplies

Soldato
Hope it's OK for this to be posted here, wasn't sure where else to put it and thought I'd pick the OCUK collective's brains.

At the moment I have a number of devices in my AV system, all powered via USB from their own mains power supply:

Amazon Echo Dot
Chromecast Audio
Amazon Fire TV Stick

They all require a 5V 1A power supply, so nothing unusual.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't just power them all from something like this, for the sake of neatness and needing fewer mains sockets:

dBXQuJF.png

It claims to be able to deliver over 2A to each port, so power-wise it should be more than sufficient for my three devices. However, I'm wondering if there anything which distinguishes a USB "charger" from a USB "power supply" that might cause problems?

Thanks!

Soldato
i'm in the same boat - just started looking, I was just going to buy one and try it, cheap enough to add to the box of plugs/cables if it won't power everything!

Associate
Same, no problem at all, and it made me happy that I could velcro-tie the leads together to make them much neater too!

Man of Honour
What brand is it? Personally I'd go for known brands like Anker, Aukey, Tronsmart etc. No name brands could cheap out on internal components, so long term life could be poor, or short term issues if something breaks under load.

But technically yes, something like that would work just fine.

Soldato
OP
What brand is it? Personally I'd go for known brands like Anker, Aukey, Tronsmart etc. No name brands could cheap out on internal components, so long term life could be poor, or short term issues if something breaks under load.

But technically yes, something like that would work just fine.

I agree, I usually go for Anker stuff. This one is branded by Tecknet and I've bought a few of their items from Amazon over the years and they've all been decent. I like the fact that this one has 4 outputs and plugs directly into the socket, thus not needing another trailing cable.

Associate
just received an email with the powerport 4 lite from anker at £10
has all the features that you said (4ports and plugs directly into the socket) and also has interchangeable socket (eu and uk)
Link for the email

product link
code: LUTMSTTL

ps: the product doesnt seem to have any reviews but i think they are doing the dicount to get sales

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom