Overwatch

Associate
Oh, so basically they uplifted the ban for using widescreen fixxer, but now it streches? wonder how that is. As if that's considered a cheat, then people with 3 monitors or 4k tvs or headshot mice or pg348q who has a target(crosshair) in the middle, and people who use ultra settings 4k as opossed to medium fhd, isn't a cheat. cmon.

Soldato
Oh, so basically they uplifted the ban for using widescreen fixxer, but now it streches? wonder how that is. As if that's considered a cheat, then people with 3 monitors or 4k tvs or headshot mice or pg348q who has a target(crosshair) in the middle, and people who use ultra settings 4k as opossed to medium fhd, isn't a cheat. cmon.

None of those things give you any advantage whatsoever. 3 monitors have the same FOV as 1 monitor (that's the whole point of stretching it) so no advantage. 4k TVs are probably worse since they generally have more input lag, so no advantage there. Headshot mice offer no advantage because changing your DPI is a bad thing - you'll improve your aim more by keeping your sensitivity consistent and building muscle memory. Monitors with target crosshair in the middle isn't an advantage because Overwatch has that already. Ultra settings don't give you an advantage because the game just doesn't work that way - the vast majority of pro players use low settings with render scale 75%.

Having a bigger FOV is cheating because you can see more than someone who doesn't have that FOV. It's an unfair advantage.

Associate
God tonight was my first frustration with leavers and disconnects. Both times 2-0 up and one or two guys leave then never return, ending with a score of 3-2 the last gave ever with only 2 on the team.

Why can't blizzard simply allow these disconnects to be replaced and if you join and have a loss, your contribution adds or takes away from your rank instead of the actual loss. This is a serious problem, it ruins the whole game making it a complete waste of time.

I can feel myself improving quite dramatically but rank is going nowhere due to 2 pretty outright wins followed by 2 losses with disconnects and/or leavers, even when we were winning!!!

Frustrating blizzard, this is not serious gaming, I'd rather 6v6 with another person joining filling the spot than the 5or4 vs 6 dump we have now

Last edited:
Soldato
Lol leavers are not a serious problem. It's a minor problem in every online game that has ever existed. You're massively exaggerating if you think it's ruining the game. Yes it's frustrating to get 2 leavers in a short space of time, but I guarantee if you keep track of all your games the amount of leavers will be extremely small overall. Off the top of my head I've probably had about 4 leavers in 300+ competitive games.

If you can't deal with leavers then no online game is for you

Soldato
None of those things give you any advantage whatsoever. 3 monitors have the same FOV as 1 monitor (that's the whole point of stretching it) so no advantage. 4k TVs are probably worse since they generally have more input lag, so no advantage there. Headshot mice offer no advantage because changing your DPI is a bad thing - you'll improve your aim more by keeping your sensitivity consistent and building muscle memory. Monitors with target crosshair in the middle isn't an advantage because Overwatch has that already. Ultra settings don't give you an advantage because the game just doesn't work that way - the vast majority of pro players use low settings with render scale 75%.

Having a bigger FOV is cheating because you can see more than someone who doesn't have that FOV. It's an unfair advantage.

+1

Caporegime
Ok then so I guess 144HZ, which not only reduces input lag but also vastly increases motion clarity over 60HZ monitors, isn't considered cheating or unfair? (considering most players are still probably on 60HZ screens...)

What about people with £50+ headphones and dedicated AMPs or/and a good sound card that have tweaked the sound so they can hear foot steps a lot easier? (lots of people under estimate just how much of a difference this can make in FPS MP games)

Also, if blizzard wanted this to be a fair game then why did they even add a FOV slider in the first place...

EDIT:

At the end of the day, 21.9 does not provide that much of an advantage in FPS MP shooters especially compared to 144HZ monitors... Personally I found that I did better on a smaller 16.9 screen since the entire scene was in my focus/direct line of sight.

Regardless of whatever equipment people have, **** players will still be **** and good players will still dominate.

EDIT:

Also, people who use a low FOV could be considered to be "cheating" too, since it makes the "targets" bigger... This is why I and others never go above 85 in the likes of BF 3/4 etc. as for medium/long distance encounters, you are just making it much harder for yourself to land shots on the enemy as well as making it harder to spot said enemies.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have to admit, I'm finding this a lot more fun than I thought I would. Of course, I'm only level 8 or something, so I can't comment on the competitive side, but the basic matchmaking seems effective and the game itself feels very polished. So far I've spent most of my time playing as Mercy and Pharah with a few minutes of some of the others. The former if I want to appear on that list and have people vote for me :D and the latter when I want to splat stuff.

Any advice for a total noob (to this game, not shooters)?

Also, it would be cool to play with some folk who are interested in playing in a coordinated fashion :D

Finally, what is the currency for? I couldn't see a use for it, and I got a couple hundred from loot boxes.

Soldato
Any advice for a total noob (to this game, not shooters)?

I think timing of your ult is one thing to choose carefully. I think when I started I was in a hurry to use it as quick as I could, so I could start building to your next one.

Mercy is a great example. Try not to res unless you're getting at least 2 team mates. Having said that, I have res'd one tank if I think it could be the difference between a successful push or failure.

Check who on the opposition can counter your ult and keep track of them and their own ult. If Reinhardt is about, try and break his shield before ulting.

See if you can co-ordinate with other people's ult. Zarya and pretty much anyone's can wipe a team in a matter of seconds for example.

Associate
I think timing of your ult is one thing to choose carefully. I think when I started I was in a hurry to use it as quick as I could, so I could start building to your next one.

Mercy is a great example. Try not to res unless you're getting at least 2 team mates. Having said that, I have res'd one tank if I think it could be the difference between a successful push or failure.

Check who on the opposition can counter your ult and keep track of them and their own ult. If Reinhardt is about, try and break his shield before ulting.

See if you can co-ordinate with other people's ult. Zarya and pretty much anyone's can wipe a team in a matter of seconds for example.

Great advice, also learn to play at least one of each role so you can fill gaps in the team...And be prepared to switch if you think your current character is not working or being countered.

Soldato

Thanks - appreciate you taking the time to reply :)

Great advice, also learn to play at least one of each role so you can fill gaps in the team...And be prepared to switch if you think your current character is not working or being countered.
Yeah, I've witnessed people just picking what they want, and sod the team. I've had to change more than once - there's even warnings on the screen, but some people just don't care!

Soldato
Thanks - appreciate you taking the time to reply :)

Yeah, I've witnessed people just picking what they want, and sod the team. I've had to change more than once - there's even warnings on the screen, but some people just don't care!

You're welcome. To be honest, in Quick Play, I go in there really not caring what the team make up is, I'm probably in there as I want to practise a certain character. I think many others do this too.

When you get to Competitive, it's essential though.

Associate
God tonight was my first frustration with leavers and disconnects. Both times 2-0 up and one or two guys leave then never return, ending with a score of 3-2 the last gave ever with only 2 on the team.

Why can't blizzard simply allow these disconnects to be replaced and if you join and have a loss, your contribution adds or takes away from your rank instead of the actual loss. This is a serious problem, it ruins the whole game making it a complete waste of time.

I can feel myself improving quite dramatically but rank is going nowhere due to 2 pretty outright wins followed by 2 losses with disconnects and/or leavers, even when we were winning!!!

Frustrating blizzard, this is not serious gaming, I'd rather 6v6 with another person joining filling the spot than the 5or4 vs 6 dump we have now
The situation is frustrating for the team, a player(s) down and the person who left. I used to get really annoyed with people leaving until I crashed (known issue with last patch) and saw how idiotic the system was for myself.

My team were just waiting for the countdown to finish to start the round and Overwatch crashed. I instantly restarted and loaded the game to find I was banned for 10 minutes... :confused:
I was given a loss and had 50 rating wiped from my character. Upon logging in ~15 minutes later I received a hate filled message from a random on my team explaining that everyone reported me for wasting their time. Thanks Blizzard.

Disconnecting has been worse since the last patch. I'm seeing typically 1 in 10 games end with one team a player down.

Back
Top Bottom