Steam link to view playscreen of HTC Vive?

Asa

Asa

Associate
My PC is in another room and the Mrs would kill me running a HDMI lead round the house.

Could I use steam link to view what others are playing on HTC Vive?

I read that feature in some Steam patch notes a couple of months back. I haven't tried it myself, but I would guess it works.

Soldato
Just tried this and it works, started steam vr turned on display mirror on pc upstairs then turned on steamlink in the living room, it saw my pc was running in vr mode I selected it and voila vr mirrored fullscreen in real time.

Soldato
I've always found the practicalities of this pretty limited as while you "can" watch someone on a TV in another room, half the fun is watching them "physically" playing - not to mention the practicalities of calling through to your friend in the other room very annoying for other people in the house.

My PC is in another room and the Mrs would kill me running a HDMI lead round the house.

How are you currently getting your Vive cable to your PC if it's in another room? Surely just run the HDMI cable for the TV the same was you do the Vive cable? I mean if you're running the Vive cable through a wall and the TV is on the other side of the room from the "vive hole" then I can imagine it would still be a pain.

Don't get me wrong, the fact the Steam Link supports it is great, but literally every time I've come up with a use case myself a HDMI cable has always been a totally perfect replacement.

Associate
I've always found the practicalities of this pretty limited as while you "can" watch someone on a TV in another room, half the fun is watching them "physically" playing - not to mention the practicalities of calling through to your friend in the other room very annoying for other people in the house.

How are you currently getting your Vive cable to your PC if it's in another room? Surely just run the HDMI cable for the TV the same was you do the Vive cable? I mean if you're running the Vive cable through a wall and the TV is on the other side of the room from the "vive hole" then I can imagine it would still be a pain.

Don't get me wrong, the fact the Steam Link supports it is great, but literally every time I've come up with a use case myself a HDMI cable has always been a totally perfect replacement.

The Vive is in the room with the PC.

Soldato
Right, so you're going to have people watching a TV in a different room from the person playing the Vive.

While I think it's slightly boring to just watch the screen of someone playing I suppose your mileage may vary.

Soldato
Right, so you're going to have people watching a TV in a different room from the person playing the Vive.

While I think it's slightly boring to just watch the screen of someone playing I suppose your mileage may vary.

I agree with Roy. My pc is in the bedroom but when I have people over to play the vive I get out the hdmi and usb 10m cable and set the vive up in the livingroom where there is more room. That way we can all watch what the persons seeing in vr on the tv via the steam link but we also get to see the reaction of the person playing vr, its priceless when a zombie sneaks up on someone and they scream like a girl.:D

Associate
So I imagine the steam link is probably better for latency on the mirror TV, but if you have one already like many people do you can use a chromecast, just do full screen sharing and display the mirror window from the PC.

Back
Top Bottom