• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

MSI Gaming X/Z 1070/1080

Soldato
So I believe the fans on these don't even start until 60 degrees?

Anyone set a minimum fan speed like 10-20% until it reaches 60 degrees? Surely it's healthy to at least have a modicum of cooling going on across the card?

Soldato
NeilFawcett;30486583 said:

Anyone set a minimum fan speed like 10-20% until it reaches 60 degrees? Surely it's healthy to at least have a modicum of cooling going on across the card?

I set the fan to run at a steady 40% until it hits 60 deg. then I ramp it up 1:1.

The zero fan thing is a pointless marketing gimmick, unless you do your gaming in a kids nursery on nightshift.

Soldato
OP
Gregster;30486587 said:
I don't bother, as you need AB or something similar running. 60c is nothing for a GPU and mine idles at 35c whilst browsing the net etc.

Guess so... I'm just wary of if the GPU is 60 degrees, what's other parts of the card at?

I must admit it's unnerving to be playing Doom on my 1070 at High detail and the fans not even bothering to start :eek:

Soldato
OP
String;30486599 said:
I set the fan to run at a steady 40% until it hits 60 deg. then I ramp it up 1:1.

The zero fan thing is a pointless marketing gimmick, unless you do your gaming in a kids nursery on nightshift.

And you define that in Afterburner for example?

Associate

It seems healthy to keep the componentry at least moderately cool, but the the point of that big stonking Gaming X cooler is that it can do so under light loads without air flow. With some GPUs there is a weakness in that the while GPU itself might be below 60 degrees, the other parts (VRMs, memory, etc) could be overheating without airflow as they're not connected to a heatsink. The Gaming X however has direct contact between the main cooler and the memory chips and the MOSFETs chokes and other VRM parts are connected via a secondary heatsink (source). As a result the temperatures are pretty uniform throughout(source/

As a result everything of importance can be kept cool passively up until 60 degrees, when the fans start spinning up. I quite like this from an engineering perspective as it should significantly increase the lifespan of the fans (which being a moving part do occasionally fail) and because hey, nothing is as quiet as silence is.

tl;dr - the Gaming X not spinning its fans up till 60 is a sign of just how well it's engineered and should maximise its reliability.

Soldato
OP
philo-sofa;30486677 said:
tl;dr - the Gaming X not spinning its fans up till 60 is a sign of just how well it's engineered and should maximise its reliability.
Agreed! Doom on High detail with no fans! Wow! :eek:

Guess given the card has been out in the field for a while now, and no one is reporting any adverse affects with the default fan behaviour... so I'll leave it as such!

Associate
NeilFawcett;30486702 said:
Agreed! Doom on High detail with no fans! Wow! :eek:

Guess given the card has been out in the field for a while now, and no one is reporting any adverse affects with the default fan behaviour... so I'll leave it as such!

Had mine since June last year so over 6 months now and no issues with leaving fans off at idle and low load :D

Associate

I thought 60 deg seemed high so as I was creating a custom fan profile anyway because the fans are so quiet even at high load, I start them up at 40 deg.

Back
Top Bottom