• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Soldato
I doubt yields are bad enough for binning to be that significant.

Can't remeber the last time Intel binned. Devil's Canyon maybe and there wasn't much of a benefit if any.

Soldato
http://hexus.net/tech/news/cpu/102826-amd-ryzen-cpu-pushed-beyond-52ghz-8-cores-video/
by Mark Tyson on 24 February 2017, 11:01
AMD Ryzen CPU pushed beyond 5.2GHz on all 8 cores (video)

AMD's new Ryzen CPUs are breaking records even before they reach general availability. Pro overclockers came to the Ryzen announcement party to see how far they could push the new Ryzen 7 CPUs and the results aren't disappointing - as long as you are happy with world record benchmark scores.

thats a pretty old video, from the launch day

Soldato
I doubt yields are bad enough for binning to be that significant.

Can't remeber the last time Intel binned. Devil's Canyon maybe and there wasn't much of a benefit if any.

I'm fairly confident Skylake also, given the overclocking range is hugely comparable <between samples>. But there's nothing to prove either way to my knowledge

Associate
From one of the biggest Hardware publications in Turkey apparently.
Saw this video earlier but I couldn't understand what was being said. However someone has translated some of what was said thankfully.

This is the video; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhKmeCdB914

To sum up the things he stated;

"Overclock is no problem at all. Though we can not say a certain frequency due to NDA, I can say that it is impressive. Overclockers will be happy."
"I have friends from AMD Engineering department due to my experience in the hardware industry. Zen 2 or Zen B will be even more competitive. So we can say that Intel shall brood on the future"
"With our overclocked 1800x sample,under Noctua cooler given by AMD, we have passed beyond the stock single thread performance of 7700k, in a specific bench, and the temps were great. We had no concern about temps during our run which passes the ST performance of 7700k."
"In some benchmarks AMD(!). It seems ironical yes but AMD is presenting a CPU performance that Intel can not keep up with even with their 10 core 6950x!"
"Breaking NDA won't be a problem since the scores are beyond fantastic. But we will stick with the tradition."
"With one click I can reach great OC's. So I won't really bother with the manual OC no more."
"Single thread score will be so great. According to this performance we can say that 7700K will be history, even for gaming, from now on" he said.
"Intel shall shake themself. Because Ryzen will be a great choice for Overclock enthusiast."

Soldato
Saw this video earlier but I couldn't understand what was being said. However someone has translated some of what was said thankfully.

"Overclock is no problem at all. Though we can not say a certain frequency due to NDA, I can say that it is impressive. Overclockers will be happy."
"I have friends from AMD Engineering department due to my experience in the hardware industry. Zen 2 or Zen B will be even more competitive. So we can say that Intel shall brood on the future"
"With our overclocked 1800x sample,under Noctua cooler given by AMD, we have passed beyond the stock single thread performance of 7700k, in a specific bench, and the temps were great. We had no concern about temps during our run which passes the ST performance of 7700k."
"In some benchmarks AMD(!). It seems ironical yes but AMD is presenting a CPU performance that Intel can not keep up with even with their 10 core 6950x!"
"Breaking NDA won't be a problem since the scores are beyond fantastic. But we will stick with the tradition."
"With one click I can reach great OC's. So I won't really bother with the manual OC no more."
"Single thread score will be so great. According to this performance we can say that 7700K will be history, even for gaming, from now on" he said.
"Intel shall shake themself. Because Ryzen will be a great choice for Overclock enthusiast."

I heard about that website - a few years ago they actually used to be quite good at leaking stuff before the likes of Wccftech.

Last edited:
Soldato

But this should not be a surprise to anyone keeping up with the news.

AMD has competitive IPC with Intel now so to beat the 7700K stock speed of 4.2/4.5 with the 1800X which is 3.6/4.0 it's not a huge overclock required to reach the same single threaded performance.

But its not a great cpu to pick a comparison with, 7700K can overclock a lot.

It's the 6, 8 and 10 core intel CPUs which take the real hits.

Associate
I take your point I actually missed "the stock reference" to busy grasping at the information I could gather.
I want to know more about the 1700 and boards matching and if having to purchase higher boards. Await the reviews on this part. Although Gibbo's interventions have been helpful.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Choo choo - hype train just went maglev!

Caporegime
I wouldn't say it will have the same IPC as Skylake at the same clocks, if you take IPC as a whole. It might well have the same or even better performance in specific benchmarks as that quote said. From the leaks in the what 4-5 leading up to the semi soft/hard launch it was starting to look like Zen is an integer monster while probably lacking a little in general FP performance although it should get destroyed in anything that can use AVX512 as Intel support it and AMD don't. Saying that almost nothing 'home' use, certainly not gaming and most benchmarks don't use AVX512 so it's not really a big issue. I would suspect the benchies showing 7700k beating single thread performance will be something heavily if not exclusively integer based.

That's not a bad thing of course, just saying, it's fairly unlikely a 1800x with identical all cores clocks beats the 7700k overall or in general, just a few corner case results, the key thing is it will be way closer than Intel wants and most importantly, close enough that it really doesn't make a difference to the end user but the 4 extra cores or vastly cheaper price(on a 6/4 core version) is worth so much more than losing out by 3-5% in some benchmarks.

Though again it's worth noting my previous post which was a link to a article showing that 6/8/10 core Broadwell-e beats a 7700k in MOST newer games now, because more cores is absolutely beating more clock speed in most modern games. I'll point out again the only one I remember them showing the 7700k winning, was by such a small amount as to be nearly insignificantly while the 7700k was sometimes significantly behind even the 6 core Broadwell-e.

Back
Top Bottom