• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Soldato
RTG need to learn from AMD's CPU division. Raja needs to stop this ridiculous hype all the time and do the opposite - sandbag (is this what that means?). It not only means people are pleasantly surprised when performance is actually revealed, but more importantly, it means your rival doesn't know what you're bringing to the table.

AMD said 40% IPC advancement from last gen, and they just announced 53%. Now Intel has been caught with their pants around their ankles. Looks like they had no idea like the rest of us. If Raja is sensible, those demos would have been Vega 11 but we have been lead to believe they are the flagship Vega 10.

Intel will not care. Zero monkey's will be given by Intel because this end of the market means nothing to them.

Permabanned
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/5w4jhn/gigabyte_updates_gaming_5_bios_for_ddr4/

Gigabyte Updates Gaming 5 bios for DDR4 enhancements.

2f69310b835e473fb89634036321f246

Soldato
we on about a gaming machine with the better performance over games on the whole.will the ryzen do that over a 7700k ? nope. already seen some benchmarks.the i7 is quicker for gaming.its not a guess.it is quicker.so for just gaming a i7 7700k is the better option.

what would i buy ? for my pc i would go with a ryzen because i use it more than just gaming.

Like I said before you seem a year or two behind the curve. You need a new angle to come at this from.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
The way I see it is because of Intel pricing we have been stuck on 4 cores for way to long. These days CPU upgrade cycle is 3-5 years, therefore it makes sense to get 8 core going forward. My next CPU will be an AMD 8 or maybe a 10 core if they bring it with Zen+ and will last me a very long time.

Also AMD needs to be rewarded for improving price for performance. We need a strong AMD for better prices.

Permabanned
Looks like the G

Same for the B350 Gaming 3

VqNdx0P.png

diktorstreng 9 points an hour ago

They said this would be fixed in like 2 months, lmao. Good job Gigabyte.

• give gold
  • Bajsnerdig 2 points 47 minutes ago

AMD probably made other manufacturers who had full implementation share their code, it is the only explanation that seems plausible considering their previous estimate of 2 months.
Looks like AMD want an extremely smooth release

Associate
we on about a gaming machine with the better performance over games on the whole.will the ryzen do that over a 7700k ? nope. already seen some benchmarks.the i7 is quicker for gaming.its not a guess.it is quicker.so for just gaming a i7 7700k is the better option.

what would i buy ? for my pc i would go with a ryzen because i use it more than just gaming.

How on earth do you know when we haven't seen benchmarks of 'all the games on average' benched on Ryzen?

I just showed you a link where a suite of multiple games and on average the 7700K isn't the fastest, it's the HEDTs. And seeing as Ryzen seems to be faster than those, it will become the gaming CPU to get.

Soldato
Sod it, ordered a 1700X, Asrock Taichi and an 960 evo 500GB. Order went wrong the first time, OC website said my bank declined the payment, then I got an SMS from the bank asking if I had tried to purchase and reply Y if yes, second time it went through OK :D

Going to pair it with a Noctua D15 for now, if it gets too toasty I'll look at a new case and a good AiO or finally go proper watercooled.
A good AIO is going to cost a lot more than the D15, it will perform maybe a little bit better and also be a lot noisier at the same time. Either keep it or just do proper water cooling IMO.

Don
4 / 6 / 8 core auto overclock options don't look good for the 4 and 6 core chips!

I think it's safe to say the 4 and 6 core chips will (at least initially) be salvaged parts from 8 cores gone bad.

Soldato
im also very interested in this, i just hope that its idiot proof if not i am going to be in trouble.

Would certainly give change how we overclock, opens some interesting possibilities.

It's nothing new, why do you people think it's an impressive never seen before feature, individual core clocking has been around with overdrive for nigh on ten years.

Caporegime
4 / 6 / 8 core auto overclock options don't look good for the 4 and 6 core chips!

I think it's safe to say the 4 and 6 core chips will (at least initially) be salvaged parts from 8 cores gone bad.

You're probably right but its also a motherboard vendor feature, its arbitrarily set so not necessarily constrained by the chip its self.

I am surprised to see 4.4Ghz tho, though that level of overclock was apparently very difficult? it can't be that difficult if Gigabyte have it as a push button feature.

Associate
News just in... Angry crowds have attended OCuk in protest against the abduction of Gibbo.

At this stage no organisation has taken responsibility for this heinous act but it is believed AMD could be behind it. Gibbo was last seen in the Overclockers car park being bundled into the back of a red van by four masked men.

The only clues the Ocuk forum Police have at this stage is that the four men were wearing red shirts with Rzyen written on the back.

Could these four men be members of the secret AMD NDA enforcement team ?

s6mb1u.jpg
[/IMG]
s6mb1u.jp

Soldato
You're probably right but its also a motherboard vendor feature, its arbitrarily set so not necessarily constrained by the chip its self.

I am surprised to see 4.4Ghz tho, though that level of overclock was apparently very difficult?

Just turn it up to 11 and you have 4.4Ghz? Pair that with 3200Mhz RAM and Ryzen would be a monster desktop. I'm sooo tempted to pre order, but it goes against what I believe and just pumps up prices and give retails an easy ride.

Associate
Sod it, ordered a 1700X, Asrock Taichi and an 960 evo 500GB. Order went wrong the first time, OC website said my bank declined the payment, then I got an SMS from the bank asking if I had tried to purchase and reply Y if yes, second time it went through OK :D

Going to pair it with a Noctua D15 for now, if it gets too toasty I'll look at a new case and a good AiO or finally go proper watercooled.

I look after a system that controls these. Standard security check

Caporegime
Thought they had swapped back on Vega, 10 being the slower and 11 being the top.

Lisa Sue is the only one who actually said which is which, in the last investors conference.
Vega 10 is the small one and Vega 11 is the big one, Raja Koduri pretty much admitted the one running Battlefront was Vega 10, tech journalists assumed therefore that Vega 10 was the big one, why would AMD showcase the small one? aside from the fact that the last Battlefront demo before Vega was on the RX 460, not the RX 480.

Its typical journalists making assumptions, filling in the gaps with their own assertions, that then sticks. they got it wrong, the Vega Battlefront demo was apparently Vega 10, vega 10 is the little one.

Associate
GFX is limited to:
1 GFX: Gen3.0 16X

2 GFX: Gen 3.0 8x
Gen 3.0 8x

3 GFX: Gen 3.0 8x
Gen 3.0 8x
Gen 2.0 4x

Ryzen supports 2400Mhz RAM speed everything over that is OC

Back
Top Bottom