Bark for play area for kids

Associate
Morning,

I had a paved area in my garden that that I have boxed in for want of a better work and plan to fill it with bark and use it for a play area for my son. I have 2 questions:

Do I need to cover that patio are with a layer of thick bin liners or that breathable fabric before covering with bark?

What is best bark to use, I was going to use that cheap normal bark as the bottem layer then thick bits on the top couple of layers? Also seen stuff labled as "play bark" but this is smaller bits of bark.

cheers Tony

Don
What are you actually intending to "put" on top of the play bark? If you have patio slabs underneath, it's still not going to be a particular child-friendly area to play on.

Associate
Good quality weed fabric couple of layers, (don't be tempted into cheap pound store stuff, false economy!) then a good thick layer of bark, like 4-6 inches. Be aware though, the bark will degrade/rot down especially if it's being tramped on lots. This then forms the perfect medium for weed seeds, think forest floor without the shade!! Slugs and other things like worms and woodlice love bark too, it's nice and damp underneath for when the sun comes out. Cats enjoy bark areas too, for me a lid for the sandpit was a must, didn't want the kids finding 'that' sort of buried 'treasure'! Good Luck

Associate
We're doing a similar sort of thing. I'd read somewhere about rubber 'bark' pellets that don't degrade to the same degree. Also a lot easier to clean. Ensure there's some drainage and it's happy days.

I think!!

Associate
OP
Good quality weed fabric couple of layers, (don't be tempted into cheap pound store stuff, false economy!) then a good thick layer of bark, like 4-6 inches. Be aware though, the bark will degrade/rot down especially if it's being tramped on lots. This then forms the perfect medium for weed seeds, think forest floor without the shade!! Slugs and other things like worms and woodlice love bark too, it's nice and damp underneath for when the sun comes out. Cats enjoy bark areas too, for me a lid for the sandpit was a must, didn't want the kids finding 'that' sort of buried 'treasure'! Good Luck

Thanks for the tips, I've made quite a big area so I might grab a plastic sheet to cover it when not in use.

@itsallaboutyou looked a rubber bark/pellets but its super expensive.

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
Go for wood chip instead of bark, did this 2 years ago and it's still good just needs the odd raking through summer to mix it about

Associate
We had this exact scenario. We had some spare earth and put that on top of the patio before two layers of weed fabric and then Wickes play bark as it was on offer at the time. We have a sandpit and play house on it - works well

Back
Top Bottom