4K TV + Soundbar Combo Recommendations

Associate
Hi all,

I'm currently rocking a Panasonic Plasma and Onkyo htx22hdx. Image retention is becoming a problem and with Netflix and Amazon prime subscriptions it seems I will have access to some decent 4K content.

As my current amp/receiver won't passthrough 4k video I'm looking to replace it with a soundbar. I'm aware I can use ARC, but I hear it's a bit flaky and doesn't always work with the array of audio encoders etc.

If I get a new TV/Audio setup, my requirements are

• About 50" Screen size
  • Netflix and Amazon Prime players built in.

Some questions:
  • I currently have my Onkyo set up with 3.1. I find the middle speaker makes a drastic improvement to audio balance and clarity. Would a modern soundbar be sufficient to recreate what I'm getting with the Onkyo?
  • I have a HTPC that currently passes Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital plus, DTS and DTS-Master to my receiver. Do soundbars also do this? Would I connect my HTPC directly to the Soundbar?
  • With a budget of about £1000 for a TV and Soundbar, what do you guys recommend?
  • Can I/Should I go OLED?

Thanks

Last edited:
Associate
I just today bought the Samsung 55 K7000 (4k/HDR) and a denon 520 amp which passes 4k (using my old speakers from my onkyo amp)

Whole lot cost me 1059

Associate
TV was an older LG 47 inch jobby i bought a while ago.

TV is not here yet so cant comment on it but happy to once it arrives.. should be here tomorrow / wednesday

Associate
As my current amp/receiver won't passthrough 4k video I'm looking to replace it with a soundbar. I'm aware I can use ARC, but I hear it's a bit flaky and doesn't always work with the array of audio encoders etc.
It doesn't matter if your receiver can't pass 4K video. If you're using the built in Netflix/Amazon apps on your TV; you'll be getting a 4K image and passing only the audio to the receiver. Doesn't matter if it's the latest whizz bang 4K receiver, or an old school analogue job; you'll still get a 4K image.

It's only an issue if you're passing a source through the receiver. If you want to upgrade to 4K Bly ray eventually; most of the players have dual HDMI outputs for this reason.

You're not going to get the same experience with a sound bar unless you're prepared to spend quite a bit on a premium one. My verdict would be to keep the receiver and put the cash towards an OLED.

Associate
How is the TV dude? :)

Very pleased with it. set it up with some settings from the web and am very impressed with the upsclae to 4k of hdtv signals..

Not had any problems with fast moving images and HDR look fantastic, so far have tested some videos from youtube and bought suicide squad from Ulta hd blu ray playing through my Xbox one S and makes you realise how dumbed down colors where before.

Caporegime
with a budget of £1000 I'd say don't bother.

Pansonic plasma is better in terms of IQ than any 4K LCD. The amount of 4K content available on prime is abysmal I wouldn't upgrade just for the sake of it, only if your current tv died on you.

if image retention is an issue you should have been aware of this before buying your plasma and you should have taken steps to mitigate it. vary channels, vary content, don't game on it, etc.

the best upgrade you could do with £1000 is buy a decent 4k AVR. with a decent 4K avr you can then input 4k streams from amazon prime and netflix into the AVR then the AVR can supersample them to your current plasma.

then when your plasma gives up the ghost you only need to upgrade your tv and not the tv and the amp.

the reason why i say this is 1080p streams aren't that great and 4k streams are akin to 1080p blu ray. so you won't be missing out much by doing this, just HDR which on your budget wouldn't get you both a decent HDR tv and a amp anyway so your missing out on nothing without upping the budget considerably.

spend circa £500 on a 4k avr. bank the other £500 for a while (2-3 years).

feed the AVR with an amazon fire 4k tv box

Back
Top Bottom