• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Does anyone crossfire 480's?

Associate
As per the title, I have an opportunity to get a second RX480 for my second PC which is attached t a 4k tv, currently it only gets used at 1080p due to power constraints but I'm curious about the potential of crossfire these days.
Ideally I'd like a better single card solution but £150 sounds better than like £400 which is what a gtx 1080 will cost (minimum)
Does anyone have this set up currently?

Cheers

Soldato
You could sell your card and put the additional money towards a 1070/1080.

I would avoid crossfire at all costs.

Soldato
Ive seen people hating hard on mGPU setups and then you see a few who actually like their crossfire setups. The funny thing is that most of the people hating on it dont even own such a setup and havent for ages. They instead resort to repeating what someone else is saying. Im not saying crossfire/sli is perfect but it would be nice to hear from people who actually own such setups. I use to run both gtx 560's and 7950s in sli/crossfire and it worked just fine, but of course thats a long time ago. I have no personal idea how something like the r9 series or the rx does nowadays in crossfire. That said i would certainly try it out if i only had to pay 150. i mean that second hand price meaning that if the results are dull and bad you can sell it again for the same price and you have lost nothing in the process. Worth thinking about. If you end up giving it a go please report back with your experience. It will certainly be helpful to many.

Soldato
Last time I had Crossfire was with HD5850s. It wasn't a particularly rewarding experience except for one short period when the stars aligned, a patch came out for BF3 and a new driver from AMD... It was buttery smooth and so, so good. Then something else happened (can't remember if a patch or driver) and it all went to **** again. Sold up and bought a HD6950 (flashed to 6970) and never thought of dual GPU again. So yeah, as Philaxsator says really :p

Associate
OP
Hmm, it's one of them; I need to give it a try to see if it works for me or not.
To be honest the 480 is a sound card on its own, I may just leave it and wait for another 1080 to be attainable.
Cheers!

Associate
Have been running 2 x 290 (watercooled) for 2 yrs +.

Not had any issues:)

But I do tend to play games that have been around for a few months & I have read that it is with 'new' games that problems can arise.

Am looking to change to a 1070 but main reasons are that the one should be as good as the two (am running 3440x1440 monitor at max 60fps) , will 'definately' not have any crossfire issues and my power consumption should drop a little! (it is also something new to play with!).

Soldato
I have had 4870, 6970, until recently had 290 in crossfire. Sold the 2nd card and gone to a single 290. Over the past 18 months it seems dual GPU's have taken a back seat with game developers. Very little or no performance gain. Most of time my second GPU stood there idle.

Last time I be going xfire/SLI when I upgrade my 290.

Soldato
Last mGPU setups I owned were 2x290's and 2x980TI's. They were "ok" but I wouldn't say great.

I've not bothered with them since then but the current mGPU landscape seems poor at best.

Back
Top Bottom