Win 10 issues - nothing big, but really annoying.

Soldato
I have Windows 10 64 bit installed on my main PC, and to be fair, this is the longest that I have ever had ANY version of Windows installed on any computer, and its been a good while to be fair... It was doen not that long after it was officially released.

But, lately I have been suffering a fairly large number of issues... So much so, that I am actually giving a reinstall a serious bit of considering... The ONLY thing thatsstopping me, is just how much stuff I have on the PC.

Anyway, the issues are, like I said small, but they are happening all the time.

For example, the default app for any given file type is constantly being lost. This mostly happens with Media files like MPG, MP4, M4V, AVI and also Audio files like FLaC and MP3. I get a message at the bottom corner telign me that the app has some issue and the default has been removed.

I have of course tried uninstalling EVERY SINGLE Media player I have, but its does NOT help.

I have a number of Network folders setup, and these have all been defaulted too... For example, Drive S: is my System folder with Drivers and Operating system ISOs of my Windows and Linux PCs on, and Drive I: is my ISOs folder with ISO images of my games DVDs and installations so my opriginals are nice and protected, and M: is my Media fodler and so on... They are named as such too, but they get forgotten and they are then given the Network location again instead.

The way I have the icons on the taskbar setup, and the way I have certian startup apps setup, they all get reset to defaults too, forexample that utterly annoying ONE DRIVE gets righ on my nerves... I have removed that time and time again, but yet here it is, invading my bloody PC once again. The Language switch too, keeps popping up even though I have only ENGlish on it.

Ok, the last few are almost definitely update related because they have only happened after an update, and admittedly, the last updates were a huge batch of a whole ton of them, that required multiple restarts that in the end took over an hour to complete ( dunno why, I was playing games while I waited )

But this is happening all the time now and I am sick of it to be honest.

Come to think of it, there is absolutely nothing that Windows 10 does, or 8.1 or 8 for that matter, that Windows 7 did not do. Nothing that is of any real value anyway, other than making my PC look like a cheap toy.

If I need to reinstall, I will be going back to Windows 7 and failing that, since I have Linux running now where I have NOTHING that wont work in that, I may even consider ditching windows altogether.

But I would prefer not to!

Has anyone had similar? Is it just my PC or is it happening to others?

Soldato
Soldato
OP
I have not doen the DISM command, so I will have a peek at that for sure.
Obviously I have tried SFC and things seem to be peachy there!

For what its worth, I have had another killer of a time for the past few hours!

I have put in a USB 3 card and swapped out the Creative Z for the Asus Strix (I have reasons ) but when I started my PC back up, I had a non stop barrage of hell.

First off the PC wont start up unless the USB Card has extra power to it. Now, I think I need to also inform you that a couple of days ago, I dug out my Thermaltake Mozart TX case and because of this, my Drive bay USB 3 ports and few other things requires me to extend the internal cables and so rather than go outside the case and into ports, I thought I would make it a bit cleaner, and add a USB 3 card, and simply extend the internal cables thus letting me keep it tidy rather than having cables all over the place.

But there we are, staring at a black screen, nothing more.

I therefore had to add a Power connection to it,and this solved that, and so I thought sod it, lets put in the Strix too - I bought this card about a year ago when my Recon3D started to play up... I hated it because of how it does the headphones to speakers swap - it keeps crashing Windows 10, and went back to creative and bought the Z.

Now, for some strange reason, my Drive E: was going funky... I thought it was the power at first, and so I have made sude there is nooverloading and then I saw the E: drive but even though it showed me the correct info, I was unable to access anything deeper than one folder???

It kept telling me that there is a device I/O error ???

I have not been able to sort that out all morning and then about 7:45-ish, I was so close to simply smashing the hell out of it, and I am quite shocked and amazed that I havent in all honesty, but I have taken the USB card out, it never helped and in fact made things worse... Now it boots up and instead of the desktop showing, I get a black screen... After some more effort, I found that I could CRTL-ALT-DEL, then log off and then log bakc int and the desktop would come up!

The Soundcard worked in that I could play music just fine but my E: wasbeing an idiot and so I took the Asus out and put the Creative back in and its now running perfectly fine again! - Well, apart from the issues that I mentioned in the OP.

I really hate this PC, I really do!

Oh, and I also reinstalled BOINC and every time I start the PC up, it keeps tellign me that I need to restart the PC in order to make boink work properly? - sod it , boinc has gone again.

Soldato
I've not had any problems of this nature so either your installation is broken or your tinkering has broken it. Just re-install.

Soldato
OP
My tinkering? LOL

No, these issues have been coming up really slowly and for the most part, they have happened so few times that they never bothered me at all, but they are happening more and more and more.

The SoundCard issue is a weird one because I have used that card in this PC before, but why it did what it did this time, Im really going mental about? - The ONLY thing that it could possibly have been is the drivers?

Boinc is now gone.
SoundCard is now the Creative Z
USB3 card now back in ( and its fine )
And today is the first day I have not had any issues.

Back
Top Bottom