Memory Clock / OC Help?

Associate
Not sure how relevant posting everything in my system is but thought id do it anyway.. having never OC'd or touched BIOS settings to do with memory speed or anything or even done XMP profiles, what would be the best thing to start with should I be trying to raise my CPU first before touching memory guys any help would be great?

- Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming 6144MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
- Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 7 Motherboard
- Devils Canyon Core i7 4790K CPU
- Samsung 1.0TB 850 EVO SSD
- XFX XTR 850W '80 Plus Gold' Fully Modular Power Supply
- TeamGroup Vulcan RED 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 PC3-19200C11 2400MHz Dual Channel Kit
- NZXT H440 Mid Tower Case - Black / Red
- ACX EVGA CPU cooler, Black - 120 mm
- 2 x Dell Ultrasharp U2515H 1440P (Only ever use 1 for playing games, and both when multitasking.

Man of Honour
Depends on your cooling.

A basic test of your cpus' capabilities would be :

Set VCore to 1.25v ( turn off any settings that boost this voltage automatically )
Set you multiplier to x 44 ( i.e 4.4Ghz )

and see how it goes from there.

If temps are OK, then raise the multiplier to say 46, and check temps/stability again. See how high you can get at 1.25v

Decent cooling will allow you to up the Vcore to around 1.3v if needed, or wanted.

It is not an exact formula and depends on each chip.

Associate
OP
Depends on your cooling.

A basic test of your cpus' capabilities would be :

Set VCore to 1.25v ( turn off any settings that boost this voltage automatically )
Set you multiplier to x 44 ( i.e 4.4Ghz )

and see how it goes from there.

If temps are OK, then raise the multiplier to say 46, and check temps/stability again. See how high you can get at 1.25v

Decent cooling will allow you to up the Vcore to around 1.3v if needed, or wanted.

It is not an exact formula and depends on each chip.
what kinda temps are considered to be ok brizz?

Soldato
It does depend how safe you want to be. My previous i5 when gaming was below 60c most of the time when overclocked, it would very rarely peak at about 65c if the room was very warm. You will find at a certain point you need much more voltage resulting in higher temps, I stopped just before this point to be safe.

Main thing is fit a good quality cooler and case fans to keep temps under control. The stock intel coolers are terrible.

Soldato
Yeh depends how far you want to go, I was hitting 80c under full load at 1.375v to get 4.8ghz.
Was a little warm for my liking so I delidded and replaced stock Tim and relidded, now peaking at around 70c which I'm much more comfortable with.

Associate
OP
Yeah I heard the TIM on the 4790K's sucks but I don't think im experienced enough at all to deli it and replace it.

as for decent cooling thats what im trying to achieve so far I think before I go pushing my CPU or memory, currently I have high temps which is what im trying to change I use an EVGA air cooler thats massive but considering changing over to an AIO as ive been recommended either the 100i v2 I believe or the 115i by corsair? anybody have any opinions in regards to my case the h440?

Associate
The 4790K Devil's Canyon I sold a few months ago reached 4.8 GHz easily (AI suite indicated it would be stable at 5.1). With an H100i V2 I didn't go above the 70's degrees at 4.8GHz.
The person I sold it to reported he was doing 4.8 on it as well.
As I recall I left the voltage on default settings of the boards I used it in.
I think that one may have been a lottery winner.

Last edited:
Soldato
One thing to remember is dust in the case and especially on the CPU cooler really heats it up. After blasting by cooler and case with air the temps dropped a lot. Also it can be the CPU paste is not applied properly.

Associate
OP
One thing to remember is dust in the case and especially on the CPU cooler really heats it up. After blasting by cooler and case with air the temps dropped a lot. Also it can be the CPU paste is not applied properly.

yeah man been highly recommended the Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer AIO CPU Cooler - 240mm supposed to be better than the 100i v2 and the 115i apparently in their opinions and looked around at a few reviews and it was very well liked! so think im going to give that a try, obviously then I can reseat this with the new CPU paste, and see where I go from there! (and obviously give it a dust too just to make sure its clear!) :)

The 4790K Devil's Canyon I sold a few months ago reached 4.8 GHz easily (AI suite indicated it would be stable at 5.1). With an H100i V2 I didn't go above the 70's degrees at 4.8GHz.
The person I sold it to reported he was doing 4.8 on it as well.
As I recall I left the voltage on default settings of the boards I used it in.
I think that one may have been a lottery winner.
never had the bottle for overclocking but apparently im missing out by not doing it so may aswell get myself into it if its easy enough! :)

Associate
OP
Hi guys quick question..

So I noticed my memory wasn't set to its XMP profile, so I did that today, but thinking of overclocking my CPU so should I change this memory back to the default and not use the XMP or leave it and then continue with doing the cpu as you described above?

Associate
OP
ah ok cool so leave the XMP on, and then give it ago turning up the CPU, any idea how to start doing it which settings to change? sorry for the questions im a complete rookie and just wanna know how I go with it! :)

Back
Top Bottom