Spec me a car - £4000

Soldato
OP
If you'd mentioned "driving to summer countryside weekends away" then it might not have made such a wild suggestion but the opening post made it sound like London driving was the only use for the car!

Yeah sorry, didn't really cross my mind! London will be 90% of the driving, weekends away are definitely the exception! :p

Permabanned
What would be your average years worth of running costs? ~£300 tax, how much for a service?

tbh its got full service history so check that out and see what's its had.
the service is just like any other car its a early 2004 bmw not a pagani, heck if your any good with a basic tool kit a service can be done yourself and a great way to learn.

i have the 2.5 and my computer says 26.8 mpg and that is mostly around town and a bit of motorway at the weekends.
how correct that is i dont know.
i only do around 9k miles a year.

Soldato
What would be your average years worth of running costs? ~£300 tax, how much for a service?
They're at an age where an indy is your service center. £170 was for my last service on my coupe, oil and filters. Insp 1/2 cost more

After a service you'll get 15k miles till next one.. or so obc says haha

Soldato
Plus your unlikely to loose money when you sell it now, as long as it's keep in good condition.

If your only doing a few miles a day even a v8 won't cost a lot.

Permabanned
the thing is if you do buy one at least a 2.5l and then post it on show us your motors everyone will compliment on your purchase so you know its the right thing to do :)

Caporegime

i've already stated them above. it will do 25 mpg. so double your weekly fuel bill. £300 road tax plus probably another £300 on insurance because it's a convertible with a 2.5 litre engine in it.

service is £300 for a normal one. lasts 15K miles until the next. big ones are around £600. you can halve these prices by going to a normal garage (indie).

keep £2K in savings just in case anything breaks

Soldato
What? No it's not! It's the most likely source of trouble on an older BMW.

This seems like a silly suggestion for a 4k car for someone who is after a small supermini. Old BMWs are a labour of love for enthusiasts.
Haven't heard anyone on the z4 forums complaining about the auto box.
He hasn't asked for a super mini either, simply told us that they own one now.

Soldato
He hasn't asked for a super mini either, simply told us that they own one now.
Everything about the OP screamed that's exactly what they were asking for though. Replacing a Polo with something no bigger than a Polo, for motorway and traffic driving and the only consideration so far had been a Mini...

Soldato
It's the same box that's in the rest of that era of BMW. It's not made of chocolate but they are 10-15 years old and nothing lasts for ever.
Well true, but what I'm saying is that I haven't seen any horror stories from members of z4 forums. Yes everything can fail but will it fail doing 5k a year on a 100k car? I doubt it. It's not something I'd consider an issue or a thing that would put me off buying the car.

Back
Top Bottom