Stupid metal tyre valve caps!

Soldato
They can be a bugger to remove the metal caps when seized on. Best bet is going to a Peugeot dealer and letting them do it. Working in the trade I have had some snap on me because there properly seized on. Most of the time a decent set of pliers work, but be warned if you damage them you will be liable.

Soldato
I had this on my old car. Bought a set of Richbrook antitheft dust caps and had no trouble after that.

In fact I have another set on my new car now and work a treat.

Soldato
OP
+1, copper grease is a god-send. Alternatively, butter..

Nice choice on car OP, much prefer the styling to the Fiesta ST.

Well the allows are black, so silver caps seem stupid! Anyway, fixed now, need to give it a wash over the weekend (dealer hadn't seen the matte grey paint before so decided against washing it as didn't want to ruin it!) but alls well.

As for the choice, few matters of opinion/fact

- 208 GTi is technically faster on paper (180hp vs 205hp, ok the Ford has overboost but I don't count that :p )
- It's MUCH rarer than the ST (it's currently rarer than the single colour ST200)
- Personal opinion: I too think it looks much better
- Inside is much nicer than the ST

I'm just gonna stick to plastic, since dealer put their own ones on, I now have like 5 or 6 spare in the glove box :p

Associate
I just had this issue, and I took it to a tyre fitters and they replaced all valves 4 for £15 and it didn't even damage my tyre which I am happy about as I just not long got a new set of tyres fitted.

Just worth noting I went to a independent tyre fitter not a big chain like Kwik fit ect so they probably worked out a little cheaper

Associate
Why!??!

Why do this to me?!?!

Nice shiny (ok, it's matte grey) Peugeot 208 GTi by PS, and the stupid metal caps on 3 of the tyres are stuck on. Tried boiling water and WD-40 to no avail. Next option is the fiance's hair dryer.

Failing that, how much am I likely to be charged for new valves all round? I doubt they will come off nicely.

/rantOver
Cut a slot in the side top to bottom and it’s should come off don’t worry if you hit the threads if it still stuck then you can pry it open with a screwdriver, still stuck cut a slot opposite

valves would be the Labour of fitting a customer supplied tyre around £10-15

208 will have a sensor so your looking at more than £100 per wheel. I suggest you cut a slot

Caporegime
Cut a slot in the side top to bottom and it’s should come off don’t worry if you hit the threads if it still stuck then you can pry it open with a screwdriver, still stuck cut a slot opposite

valves would be the Labour of fitting a customer supplied tyre around £10-15

208 will have a sensor so your looking at more than £100 per wheel. I suggest you cut a slot
I’m sure the next time the OP travels to 2017 he’ll be sure to heed this advice.

Soldato
OP
John Paul brought this back from the dead not me

Hahaha thank you both. I have a red 208 GTi Prestige now (more comfy, still fast)...with plastic caps.

I think I went to dealer in the end who did this for free, and has since made sure to replace them with plastic alternatives before handing over keys to owners!

Man of Honour
Heh. Happened to me ages ago. I'm a scientist, I should be better than this. Fortunately Kwik Fit replaced the valves for free. If I had just put some grease on the thread...

Back
Top Bottom