what are these mystery files?

Associate
Just completed a backup to a external hard drive (WD My book 6TB) from my xpenology (synology) setup, using a simple copy and paste command. Looking in the folders on the external drive, some not all but most have duplicate files with the same prefix ._ for example '._filename.jpg'

Inside all the files, opened with a text editor I seem to have something similar to the following:

Mac OS X

Mac OS X 2 È ú ATTR ú œ ^ œ ^ com.dropbox.attributes xœRMo‚0þ+†óŠrØÝ€ÌÌã†:½J‹ZK€ÎŠñ¿ .âb²ìÔ7íóôùhÉe¶–:± 9TÆ%&ÆSç`„œÑm¬ã¤(s¶Ý4Û—¸ŒéÂJCñ˜^Ð~œŒL‡CãøйðJ&¨Œ¢‚–-Ú[…v`£T4g¤ƒ
`§ûz=A ýb!
„$”·ï¦[,?ckäXœ¾Î«ë‹™Èd~²Ò¾Ý‡TÎ ’9±¡çíÎÞ#Æiã"ŽoË,}7õªYµô½ Átv+û™ƒ€¾g;}¨Ü|{âl˜jýÕn#+îØDzâ,ðëÞP»âŒã2’¹¸÷.Ýqâ(د
áŠpXªœæ-ÚÌtË°?W«K—ÂïÂ[B¢>¥¿s$HC"5øR{h_ÏÝz®~òœµÔí'°îÄ'/`/µ×ô€´7½Žó¹ãñ©ö%

How have I ended up with them, and how can I avoid generating them? Very annoying

Associate
OP
No mate, none have ever been on a Mac. The weird duplicate files don't exist at the source, only on the external drive after copying. I'm so confused bud :confused:

Soldato
Synology runs Linux (technically so does OSX) so it's possible its just a weird way that it's handling those files or you've stumbled across a re-manufactured drive and pulled some old stuff from it.

Associate
OP
Synology runs Linux (technically so does OSX) so it's possible its just a weird way that it's handling those files or you've stumbled across a re-manufactured drive and pulled some old stuff from it.

Not sure what you mean fella, the external drive is a western digital re-cert but don't see how that could effect it? Seems to be some talk on the Synology forum about the strange ._ files but nothing conclusive?

Soldato
Post a screenshot of the said thing.
as he said more information on the mystery files eg. are they the same size as the originals. (if you do an octal/hex dump of start of an example file can maybe identify
its type from web lists, using bytes at start of file)

sounds like these are metadata files associated with synology file system btrfs
and you should be using a synology mechanism to backup/copy directories/folders - do you have another option ?

Associate
OP
Soldato
if the file type acdsee shown in screenshor is correct they are metadata files, accompanying images
Do you use this ACDSee product

Ok, what is metadata? Well, it’s information about an image and how it was taken. For example, the metadata of digital camera images can contain the date and time the picture was taken, the shutter speed, the exposure settings of the camera, whether a flash was used, and much more. What is ACDSee metadata? This is additional information you can add to an image to help you find and categorize/compartmentalize/organize it, such as keywords, color labels, captions, etc.

Associate
OP
._ is hidden files on MacOSX ..... which indicates meta data as above.

"They're created to store file information that would otherwise go into an extended attribute on HFS+ (Apple native) or Unix/UFS volumes"

Hmm I see... I think lol. But I don't own any apple products so surely those files should not exist?

Soldato
the proprietary Metadata files, maybe have sections with data that would be relevant for viewing/understanding the gifs on different operating systems,
and macos just happens to be the first word visible, even though, as you say, this is not your OS.

On windows too (your OS ?), there are files that are hidden in the default file browser, so if you change the options on the file browser these metadata files will become visible.
(folder -> properties -> general -> hidden)

Associate
OP
Not worried about them but they are just annoying, puts the file count up and they just seem like a waste of space :) Is there no way to avoid them?

I did another backup over the network (ext hard drive plugged into a PC instead of the server) last night and the files don't show up on the external drive so happy days but it's not ideal to bog the network down :/

Back
Top Bottom