55" Recommendations

Associate
there is an immaturity to the HDR market and will need a dynamic meta data standard like dolby vision, HDR10+, before HDR would give me the PQ I want, so I would not
make the HDR premium certification a must have.

I have only really been satisfied with SDR rendering with the panel technology and calibration facilitioes offered over the last couple of years, finally got rid of problems like squashed blacks/lack of black detail; I am warey of investing too much into HDR, in its infancy, to be plagued again by Tone mapping issues.

We got there in the end ;)

I'd agree to a point. However currently Ultra HD Premium Certification or a TV set which meets the specification is the only easy way for a consumer to identify TVs worth buying today. Without that, a customer risks whacking on their shiney new HDR set and being underwhelmed as they'll be little observable difference.

You'll always have a variance in tone mapping, that's where reading reviews and asking peoples opinions is where you get a better representation of PQ. It's typically why I recommend the KS7000, best bang for buck and performance is top notch. Same with LG OLED.

Problem is, for as long as TV sets have been around there will always be something new around the corner. Another problem to fix, another reason to wait. We're lucky enough if they can get a set mass manufacturered without colour tints.

HDR on a good set, say a KS7000 or LG OLED, gives a fantastic experience. Literally blows people away, even my wife was impressed. Yes dynamic HDR will add to that, as will lots of other things, such as better motion handling which none of the manufactures have ever got right in my opinion.

Its all a while off though. I think it'll be a good 3-5 years until TVs and Dynamic HDR content are really working together to add that. Especially as including it with content is an additional cost, a cost few will take on until consumers identify with it and demand is there. I also think the jump is gonna be far more subtle from a viewing experience perspective.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Yeah you won't be in that position, Dolby Vision is never going to be the primary standard. That's HDR10 and eventually HDR10+, Dolby Vision will just be an extra (and even then, depends how many people are willing to pony up to support it and create content with it).

You really only have the options i put before mate in your price range. The options for Ultra HD Premium Certified TVs or ones that meet the spec are pretty small..

Cheapest i can see the KS7000 new is £999.99 at Reliant Direct. Not purchased from them before.

What's replaced the KS7000? Or is it a case that they've pushed the price up but essentially it's the same? Might go second hand if cheap enough.

Edit: It seems it is the ridiculously expensive Q series with the QLED panels *sigh*.

I'll also have a look at the B7V if I have to wait plus I'll also look at the B6V reviews

Last edited:
Soldato
so plagiarizing from Vincents tone map video
35146597063_bb48d01744_o_d.jpg

it would appear that with the C7 oled (for example) you are stuck with darker detail being compressed and cannot via calibration make it like the panasonic curve say, if that is what you prefer.

but perversely if we had dynamic meta-data, the C7 would be able to accurately portray scenes from films that had been flagged with meta data as only requiring 500nits say. (is that your interpretation ?)

As a compromise maybe you could have a calibration dedicated to darker movies (Alien covenant say)

re-reading his b6 review
magine our joy when we discovered that firmware version 04.30.50 yielded PQ EOTF tracking that’s more faithful to the current HDR10 standard on our LG B6 review unit. Ok, it remained slightly too bright, but even after making some adjustments to obtain accurate PQ tracking, peak brightness still exceeded 500 nits comfortably, resulting in less clipping of highlight detail.
lol : it does not meet hdr10 standard

(...without predjudice to oled's)

Soldato
Also just got a OLED55C6V myself. I've only just got home with it though so hopefully I'll have a chance to get it hooked up when my kids are in bed. Looking forward to it :)

Associate
So I've just moved and I'm looking to buy a 'new' TV and around 55" seems the sweet spot so I'll jump on this thread. I've narrowed it down to Panasonic 58" 902B, LG 55"C6V, LG 55" B6 or (and this is the wildcard) an LG55EG910V. The 910V is only 1080p but I'm not sure how much I care about 4k in all honesty. If i was able to rent UHD BluRays then maybe but the studios don't allow it.

Any thoughts ? The 902B, and C6V are ~£1500, the B6 is ~£1400 and the 910V is ~£1000

Caporegime
2016 panels will be like trying to find a needle in a haystack.

also the retailer won't exactly be one you could put faith in.

just buy whatever you can from john lewis and get them to price match anyone that is cheaper.

Associate
So I've just moved and I'm looking to buy a 'new' TV and around 55" seems the sweet spot so I'll jump on this thread. I've narrowed it down to Panasonic 58" 902B, LG 55"C6V, LG 55" B6 or (and this is the wildcard) an LG55EG910V. The 910V is only 1080p but I'm not sure how much I care about 4k in all honesty. If i was able to rent UHD BluRays then maybe but the studios don't allow it.

Any thoughts ? The 902B, and C6V are ~£1500, the B6 is ~£1400 and the 910V is ~£1000
i have the 65 902b and i can honestly say its the best tv i have ever had , and i have spent thousands on tv's

Back
Top Bottom