Home Automation

Soldato
But before you go into it just think of one thing....money,i have spent over £500 so far and that will go up quite a bit if i got every bulb done,my next hue purchase will be the strip light for the kitchen.

Soldato
OP
But before you go into it just think of one thing....money,i have spent over £500 so far and that will go up quite a bit if i got every bulb done,my next hue purchase will be the strip light for the kitchen.

The ultimate aim is to have all smart lights over a period of 2 years. Do all the main bulbs and leave the spotlights till later years.
Im more bothered about having a connected multimedia experience in the house in the first instance so connected speakers in all living spaces and fully automated home cinema in the lounge. The smart lights are an extension to that along with the heating and the home security.

But i need to get the eco systems right to begin with so i can build upon anytime. So the choice is either Amazon Alexa or Gogle Home....
For multi-room speakers i think the only current option is Sonos.

The only thing that is putting me off is i will end up with electronic devices left, right and centre in each room which is not what i want as i like clean minimul spaces. So having an Alexa/dot/Google Home and a Sonos next to each other is like overkill and messy. If only the Amazon Alexa/GHome was as good as a speaker as the Sono Play 1 :(

Soldato
Always interested in peoples motivations for home automation stuff, tbh I don't see the point for it in most houses - having lights that come on via movement is easily achievable with cheap, non-automated solutions, we have done it most hallways/stairs and cloakrooms for about 15 years!
If you are going for a nest alarm, that has a nightlight on it too...
Voice control for switching things on and off and dimming lights its pretty gimmicky imo, you'll end up just using the normal switches/remotes anyway.
It's really one of those things that comes into the bracket of just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should!

Have used the lutron system a few times which allows programmable lights/closes curtains/blinds/rooflights etc but that's an expensive option!

Soldato

This. If you don't care about colour this is what you want.

The disadvantage of Hue is that it means if you turn off your light switch at the wall you can't turn them back on remotely.

Lightwaverf replaces the switch itself, meaning it's that you turn on and off remotely.

However, you need to watch what bulbs you get. They turn off dimming to "very low" instead of turning the power off entirely. It does so that it's drawing power so it can still be controlled while off. Some LEDs have capacitors that mean they don't work with Lightwaverf as they draw some very small charge them flash for half a second every so often.

I had lightwaverf in my old house and loved them. In my new house I really wanted colour stuff so I've just gone to Hue.

I need bring a Hue bulb over to my friends house who still lightwave stuff to see if they work, as having both might be the best solution.

Oh, I should add that Hue do have wireless switches you can place around but one, they're costly and two, they don't replace your real light switch...

EDIT:

Oh yeah, I've got 5 Echo Dots, 5 Sonos Play:1's, Samsung Smartthings hub that allows Alexa to control the Sonos as well as a couple of switches for various things, and a couple of rooms that are all Hue lights.

Saying "switch off everything" as I leave the house is great for peace of mind :)

Soldato
OP
This. If you don't care about colour this is what you want.

Lightwaverf replaces the switch itself, meaning it's that you turn on and off remotely.

However, you need to watch what bulbs you get. They turn off dimming to "very low" instead of turning the power off entirely. It does so that it's drawing power so it can still be controlled while off. Some LEDs have capacitors that mean they don't work with Lightwaverf as they draw some very small charge them flash for half a second every so often.

I had lightwaverf in my old house and loved them.
EDIT:

Oh yeah, I've got 5 Echo Dots, 5 Sonos Play:1's, Samsung Smartthings hub that allows Alexa to control the Sonos as well as a couple of switches for various things, and a couple of rooms that are all Hue lights.

Thanks!

So correct me if im wrong:

You need the Lightwaverf (LWRF) link (£89.99) and then the power sockets (double ones at £39.99) and then plug in any floorstanding or table lamp and control via Alexa or Google Home?
Or
You need the Lightwaverf (LWRF) link (£89.99) and then the Dimmer switch (single one at £44.99) and then control the bulb via Alexa or Google Home?
Is that correct?

Then also a Samsung SmartThings Hub (SSTH) (£89.99) to package up all the LWRF hardware and pass it on to Alexa/GHome to be controlled via voice? The LWRF hardware is fully supported by the SmartThings Hub? Yes?

- The Sonos would talk directly/independently to the SSTH which Alexa/GH can control?
- Likewise with the heating (Nest or Hive) would talk directly to SSTH and be controlled via Alexa/GH?

So basically the Samsung Hub is the central unit which controls all the smart devices and is teh middle man between the device and Alexa/GH?

Can the LWRF switches/dimmers be programmed like the Hue's so they come on when it gets dark?

I do like the option of replacing the switch/sockets themselves because your targeting the source which frees you up to use any bulb (compatible ones) or plug in any electrical device in the sockets.

EDIT: For floorstanding or table lamps plugged into teh mains i would need Hue to dim them as Lightwave socket would only be able to turn them on and off and not dim

Last edited:
Soldato
The Lightwaverf Link can connect to Alexa separately. You don't need the Smrtthings hub to control any Lightwaverf device.

Samsung are trying to make the Smartthings Hub/app at the center of your home automation so that you can control all your different smart products from the one app. For example you CAN add your Hue bulbs to the Smartthings app (you still need a hue hub to do this) but you don't need to. Alexa works with hue directly, the same way the Lightwaverf kit works with hue (with its link box). Im not 100% sure but if you can "add Lightwaverf to smartthings" its not really required if you're using Alexa as the "aggregator" - but in theory it would let you configure mentions/ light sensors from Smartthings to trigger Lightwaverf devices automatically.

Currently Sonos DOES require the Smartthings hubs to work with Alexa. Alexa doesn't talk directly to Sonos yet, but is coming. Currently, limitations are limited to turning the Sonos on and off again - even with the Smartthings hub. That's all I need it for so works well for me.

My Nest works directly with Alexa.

I think Hive works directly with Alexa.

Regarding timing / programmed automation with Lightwaverf kit you'd need to have a wee google yourself. It's not something I ever bothered with as my routine was never that constant, buts it's entirely possible. If Lightwaverf CAN be linked to the Smartthings hub that would allow you to do it, but the LWRF app might have been updated as well.

Also yes, for a Lamp you'd need a hue bulb to be able to dim it. You can't dim a socket, only a switch.

Last edited:
Associate
Sorry to hijack a little but you guys seem quite knowledgeable and ive got a question haha:

I've currently got a hue bridge and hue bulbs in my living room and also an echo/alexa dot, if i got some kind of smart plugs say for the pedestal fan in my living room, is there a way to come into the room and say "alexa turn living room on" and she will turn all the lights on and the smart plugs at same time?

Soldato
Yes. For mutliple plugs sans smartthings you can use the IFTTT "maker" app to perform the individual "switch ons" then a single aggregated maker app to call them.

If you just want a single plug, then it's obv. a bit easier.

By the way, to those of you Sonos/Smarthings users have you configured the text to speech yet? I now talk to my house and it talks back to me. It's a lady!

Soldato
Yes. For mutliple plugs sans smartthings you can use the IFTTT "maker" app to perform the individual "switch ons" then a single aggregated maker app to call them.

If you just want a single plug, then it's obv. a bit easier.

That's one way, and there's many ways to skin a cat..., but I'd do this without using IFTTT.

@Salty22 As IFTTT is a web based service it can take a bit of time for triggers to work. Almost as long as going to the light switch and back!

As such Alexa accctually has some built in functionality for this. You can create a "group" under the smart homes menu and call it anything you want but assign multiple devices to it.

For example, I've got a hue bulb called "living room ceiling" and one called "living room lamp". I've also got a TP-link smart socket called "fire place lights" and a Smartthings smart socket called "bookcase lights".

Alexa is able to turn on each of these devices individually but I also created a group called "Living Room Lights" with every one of those different devices assigned to that group.

Now if I tell Alexa to "turn on the living room lights" they all go on.

I've got a second group called "night time lights" that has just a select few living room lights in it as well so I can say "turn on night time lights".

A 3rd group I've got is called "living room big lights" so I can say "turn off living room big lights" and it effectively creates "night time" mode (as groups can currently only toggle everything on or off rather than setting a specific scene and disabling some and enabling others - this might be where an IFTTT task might be better)

Additionally I've also created a group called "everything" that allows me to "turn off everything" as I leave the house.

So yeah, plenty of ways to do what you want.

Also, you can test this with your hue bulbs you have at the moment. Simply create an Alexa group with multiple bulbs and call it "test" (or whatever's) and say "turn on test". Job done.

Associate
I do nearly all of what you mentioned, with the exception of CCTV and instead of Nest I have tado. with the following;

Amazon Echo Dot
Home Assistant (https://home-assistant/) The key ingredient in allowing the echo dot to control nearly everything.
Tado
Lightwave rf switches
Orvibo plug switches for things lights lamps etc.

Home assistant can present anything it can control to the echo via a Phillips hue bridge.

Soldato
I have hue and like it - but generally I would only recommend it if you want it for accent lighting (lamps and such). Unless you want the ceiling lights to be able to change colour or white temperature (I do in my office), then I would look at an alternative method for primary/ceiling lighting. Just my opinion mind :)

Hue over Hive and some others has an advantage that it has an API you can use to cook up scripts or apps for yourself. I have some crude scripts on my desktop that allows me to change the lighting from hotkeys, but I'm going to put one together that turns the lights on/off with the computer and also sync's the white temperature to the time of day. Similarly, I have my Logitech harmony setup to turn the TV lighting on/off with the TV.

The only alternative I'd perhaps look at instead of the Hue, is the new Ikea range.

Soldato
OP
The Lightwaverf Link can connect to Alexa separately. You don't need the Smrtthings hub to control any Lightwaverf device.

Samsung are trying to make the Smartthings Hub/app at the center of your home automation so that you can control all your different smart products from the one app. For example you CAN add your Hue bulbs to the Smartthings app (you still need a hue hub to do this) but you don't need to. Alexa works with hue directly, the same way the Lightwaverf kit works with hue (with its link box). Im not 100% sure but if you can "add Lightwaverf to smartthings" its not really required if you're using Alexa as the "aggregator" - but in theory it would let you configure mentions/ light sensors from Smartthings to trigger Lightwaverf devices automatically.

Currently Sonos DOES require the Smartthings hubs to work with Alexa. Alexa doesn't talk directly to Sonos yet, but is coming. Currently, limitations are limited to turning the Sonos on and off again - even with the Smartthings hub. That's all I need it for so works well for me.

My Nest works directly with Alexa.

I think Hive works directly with Alexa.

Regarding timing / programmed automation with Lightwaverf kit you'd need to have a wee google yourself. It's not something I ever bothered with as my routine was never that constant, buts it's entirely possible. If Lightwaverf CAN be linked to the Smartthings hub that would allow you to do it, but the LWRF app might have been updated as well.

Also yes, for a Lamp you'd need a hue bulb to be able to dim it. You can't dim a socket, only a switch.

Thanks - that explains things better for a novice like me.

Sounds like the Samsung Hub isnt really needed if the device/hardware can speak to Alexa directly.

I've had a look on the Lightwave website and the Alexa section and it lists the commands that work with Alexa. Such as..

On/Off: “Alexa, turn on [or off] the [device name]”

Dimming: “Alexa, set [dimmer name] to [number]”

Dimming: “Alexa, increase [or decrease] [dimmer name] by [number]”

Can these commands be customised so you choose your own phrases to do certain actions or do you have to say exactly as listed above commands?
So for example, if i said "dim living room light to 50%" it would understand?

Likewise I can group lightwave devices into groups and turn them on and off with just a single command to Alexa?

I suppose what im asking is the LT intergration with Alxa just like the Hue hardware so smae commands, grouping, etc etc ?

How long is the delay between issuing a command to Alexa and the lightware stuff reacting?

Soldato
OP
I've got a hue bulb called "living room ceiling" and one called "living room lamp". I've also got a TP-link smart socket called "fire place lights" and a Smartthings smart socket called "bookcase lights".

Alexa is able to turn on each of these devices individually but I also created a group called "Living Room Lights" with every one of those different devices assigned to that group.

Now if I tell Alexa to "turn on the living room lights" they all go on.

I've got a second group called "night time lights" that has just a select few living room lights in it as well so I can say "turn on night time lights".

A 3rd group I've got is called "living room big lights" so I can say "turn off living room big lights" and it effectively creates "night time" mode (as groups can currently only toggle everything on or off rather than setting a specific scene and disabling some and enabling others - this might be where an IFTTT task might be better)

Additionally I've also created a group called "everything" that allows me to "turn off everything" as I leave the house.

Can you do the above using Lightwave and Alexa (or is this only possible with Hue)?

Back
Top Bottom