DON'T BUY MSI THEY MIS-SOLD TOP SPEC GT SERIES LAPTOPS with MXM Graphics

Associate
Sounds an awful experience. TBH, after 2-3 days, I'd have been chasing it up. If they've not replied after 10 days, another 2 is unlikely to make a difference.
I know, well i was chasing them up every 48 hours, i mean, that's what email is for right? To get a faster response? How long could it possibly take to walk into an office and talk to your manager about something. My missus told me to stop pestering them so often though as she thought i was being unreasonable haha. I am actually having a similar experience buying a car at the moment too. Customer service is just crap whereever you go these days it seems.

Associate
Update: I have still not heard anything else from either HID or MSI regarding the case. It is almost 2 months from when i first enquired to now, and the only real answers i have are that i can pay 40% of my current laptop worth for a new laptop that will lose some upgrades i currently have, but upgraded GPU and possibly screen, and i cannot have a full refund of my money. I have sent an email this afternoon askign if they treat all of their customers like this, and have given them until Monday to reply with either a full refund or sensible upgrade cost, otherwise i will start a chargeback and contact trading standards.

Soldato
I can't believe they haven't been in touch yet that is so shoddy, you would think that a company would want this whole mess dealt with and swept under the rug(so they can start a new con) but they seem to be absolutely incompetent. I am still in the market for a laptop but won't touch MSI from this.

Associate
I'd hammer their Twitter and Facebook page to get a response.
It falls upon deaf ears, i get no reply at all that way. I've not tried Twitter tbh, but i'm not really a big user.

This whole thing is actually stressing me out, and i promised myself i wouldn't let it, before i went down this route. I can almost see how this is going to end, and i don't think it will be favourably for me. It's now fast approaching 3 weeks since i last had a proper reply from them, i did get this from HID though...

"I advised MSI to reply to you as soon as possible. Please understand that MSI is a large company, and matters like this take time to process. We have agreed to provide you with two way shipping, so once you have come to an agreement with MSI we will do our part to help facilitate your trade in"

Loki has also contacted me in PM, and i hoping he can move this along a bit quicker as i want this finished with now, it's making me unwell.

Associate
Okay, i woke up to a reply this morning. I still have no idea how to read these charts properly. Maybe somone here can enlighten me?

"I do apologizes for the delay respond. Due to the different regions, communication took longer than expected.
As I have mention before, our trade in offer is for US Region laptops. So our Trade in program is different from UK trade in program. US MSI and UK MSI are completely different ENTITY.
I am trying to figure out the cost difference of the US and UK trade in offer. This is a respond I got from a Team member that is discussing with UK MSI.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi, Ming:
Sorry for the late.
Please check the answer from UK.
The way we calculation the trade in case is not fixed amount on the model, it’s the procedure as follows:
1. Base on customer’s on hand machine with purchased date to calculate how much discount he can get. There will be 3 different discount base on 0.5 year/ 1 year / 1.5 years since he bought.
2. The price of the new machine will be: SRP of new model minus the discount he got.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I believe it’s more complicated than what USA is doing as we are not subsidiary as USA, which will make the procedure more complicated.
Also, we have different SKU on GT73VR with different SRP, which will cause the different price that end user should pay.
As I can see the offer is complete different than our US Region. We do not calculate the enduser laptop by their condition. Our price of the trade is the cost of LAPTOP GPU.
I had mention before, I gave an offer price closest to your model without knowing the spec. After our few email exchange I totally forgot the price offer to you was not even close to meeting your laptop spec.
I have update the Laptop prices below:

Your Laptop Upgraded Equivalent Unit Estimated Cost Upgrade
GT72VR Dominator Pro w/GTX 1070 $50 In stock GT72VR DOMINATOR PRO DRAGON-638*New

GT72 w/980M GT72VR Tobii-031 w/GTX 1070 $700 Out Of stock GT72VRTobii-031

GT73VR Titan Pro w/GTX 1080 $750 Coming soon. GT73VR TITAN PRO-866*New

GT73VR Titan Pro w/GTX 1080 $850 Coming soon.. GT73VR TITAN PRO-865*New

GT73VR Titan Pro w/GTX 1080 $1650 Coming soon. GT73VR TITAN PRO 4K-858*New

GT83VR Titan Pro w/GTX 1070 SLI $1650 In stock GT83VR TITAN SLI-253*New

GT83VR Titan Pro w/GTX 1070 SLI $2350 In stock GT83VR TITAN SLI-213*New

GT83VR Titan Pro w/GTX 1080 SLI $2550 In stock GT83VR TITAN SLI-252*New

GT83VR Titan Pro w/GTX 1080 SLI $3250 In stock GT83VR TITAN SLI-212*New

I am still communicating with UK TEAM to see if we can a different options.

Thank you for choosing MSI!"

I have checked the prices above and compared them to the original chart i was sent and they are significantly different. The GT72VRTobii-031 system was highlighted on both emails, which i assume they think is the closest match to my system, however, the GT72VR has some major features missing completely compared to mine, in fact the closest match i can see would eb the GT73VR Titan Pro, which comes with a GTX1080. What do you make of this?

Edit:
I spent 15 minutes reformatting the above email as it didn't copy over well, and the forum has removed all the spacings from the chart. Hopefully you can still make sense of it.

Associate
OP
Interesting.

I had an interesting phone call with @Loki /Neil where he claimed that feature set was not taken into account, only the CPU and GPU everything else was disregarded. So that's why in the UK scheme the GT72VR was offered as the direct upgrade to the original GT72.

I would suggest asking @Loki if he will take ownership of the situation as you are a UK based MSI customer or whether he will try and fob it off as bought from a US reseller.

I would suggest joining the class action case in the USA. The objective of the class action to the best of my knowledge is to get the upgrade at zero cost to the customer and retain all of the original features, whilst forgoing the secondary upgrade that MSI advertised. I'm happy to share contact details if you require them.

Associate
Interesting.

I had an interesting phone call with @Loki /Neil where he claimed that feature set was not taken into account, only the CPU and GPU everything else was disregarded. So that's why in the UK scheme the GT72VR was offered as the direct upgrade to the original GT72.

I would suggest asking @Loki if he will take ownership of the situation as you are a UK based MSI customer or whether he will try and fob it off as bought from a US reseller.

I would suggest joining the class action case in the USA. The objective of the class action to the best of my knowledge is to get the upgrade at zero cost to the customer and retain all of the original features, whilst forgoing the secondary upgrade that MSI advertised. I'm happy to share contact details if you require them.

I see. Thanks for clarification.

Loki has reached out to me via PM last week and i have shared my order details with him in the hope he can use his contacts for a resolution. For now i am in their hands and will have to wait for further comms.

As for the US class action case, i did read something about it last year, but being a UK resident, didn't think much about it. TBH i think it's a little cheeky to ask for a zero upgrade cost while receiving a new system etc. I am happy to pay either a sensible upgrade cost, or a full refund of the original amount. I am not out to get something for nothing, just what i paid for.

For now i will see what materialises from MSI and Loki, and make my decision based on that. Honestly, i didn't think it would be as hard as it has been so far.

Associate
From MSI tonight:
"I got a respond from UK Team, it looks likes if you traded your laptop in the UK team which were cost you more than the US offer. But unfortunately, you have an US model and UK no longer offer trade in offer since last Dec.
please check the answer from UK team:
Or i can guide you regarding the calculation:
1. i assume GT72 2QE is $2399 (please amend the calculation based on actual SRP)
2. base on CPU, this user definitely purchased over 2y, which means he can get 60% discount. ($2399*60%=$1439) > discount amount is $1439
3. base on inquiry ; GT73VR 7RE: i7-7700 or above/ 1070/ 32G/ 256+1 ; the suitable model in the UK as following £2399 one.
GTX 1070, 8GB GDDR5, 120HZ/ i7-7820HK/ 32GB/ SR-512+1TB GT73 7RE(Titan)-287UK 9S7-17A121-287 £2,399.00
4. SRP on new mode: £2399=circa $3118 (we need to base on USA currency to calculation right?)
5. $3118 minus discount amount is $1439=$1679 which is the purchase price for the new model."

None of this makes any sense and seems to contradict itself, as well as previous emails. i feel like i am the first person to ask them about this, as nobody seems to have any idea what to do! i would have thought hundreds if not thousands of owners have been through this process by now, so why am i being given the run around. Hopefully Loki will have some news for me soon, i am really hoping to gt a refund now as i have lost all faith in MSI, and giving more of my money to them in order to reach a resolution doesn't seem right anymore.

Associate
@MiSJAH

Finally, i have a definitive answer from MSI US.

They have offered me the following:
GT72VR Dominator Pro DRAGON-638 = $60 upgrade cost
GT73VR Titan 4K-480 = $600 upgrade cost
GT73VR TITAN PRO-866 = $750 upgrade cost

The latter is in there as when i did some looking around, 1080 cards in MXM format are still super hard to find and seem to be really expensive when they are available. Not to mention some slight differences between models like Clevo/MSI/Alienware etc. So as the first 2 options were for the 1070, i asked how much the equivelant 1080 would be.

Now to me, these prices seem immediatly more reasonable than the first and second iterations i received. The $60 one is missing some upgrades, but i have been told i can keep the additional ram and SSD from my unit and fit them to that one. I do not know if i am allowed to do that for the other models though.

For reference the three prices in GBP are currently £46.52, £465.23, and £581.54.

Looking around, a 1070 desktop card is little over £400 so, £465 seems roughly correct, no?

My decision now will be whether or not to go for one of these options (bearing in mind these cards are over 12 months old now), or wait until Volta is released. The problem with the latter is i do not know when it will be released (most likely next year), i will most likely have to pay even more money for the new gen GPU, and we have no idea if it is even just an iteration of current gen transistors with increases dye size, or if they will introduce the anticipated 10nm tech.

What do you guys think? A refund is practically off the table unless i go through the judicial system, which could take as long as Volta anyway lol.

Permabanned
Between this and the issues with the RX480 rebates last year I can safely say I'll never be buying anything from MSI. @Loki and anyone else from MSI here it's quite incredible that MSI think it's an acceptable way to be doing business. Fingers crossed they look at their past / ongoing mistakes and improve.

Associate
The more i look at these specs and prices, the less it makes any sense.

GT73VR with 1070 has a 4K screen, and while it can game at 4K, why would you bother with a 1070 especially as performace at 4K is going to be spotty at best from what i have read.

GT73VR with 1080 has a 120hz screen, complete opposite of above, why have all that horsepower and not game at 4K?

Then there is the $50 upgrade, which is for a laptop with half the spec as the one i have albeit with a GTX1070. I cannot see anywhere an option to upgrade to a 1080 in the future, so it seems whatever i choose now i will be stuck with until i buy another new laptop.

And if you want 4K with a 1080, don't think you will find one for under £3000 let alone $. It will be a $1600+ upgrade cost, taking my total spend for this laptop to nearly £4000!

Associate
I've had quite a bad experience with both the GT72 and GT72S that my family own. The GT72S has broken multiple times and the repair service has been, frankly, dreadful apart from a rep that helped me on these forums who was very helpful.

I'm very much hoping that I can exchange one of the GT72's for something like a 15.6" GP62, which is probably about half the price of my GT72, but the GT72 is just so inconvenient to use nowadays that I want to swap it for something less cheap feeling to use in college, even with considerably worse specs.

Not expecting much, unfortunately.

Associate
OP
I've had quite a bad experience with both the GT72 and GT72S that my family own. The GT72S has broken multiple times and the repair service has been, frankly, dreadful apart from a rep that helped me on these forums who was very helpful.

I'm very much hoping that I can exchange one of the GT72's for something like a 15.6" GP62, which is probably about half the price of my GT72, but the GT72 is just so inconvenient to use nowadays that I want to swap it for something less cheap feeling to use in college, even with considerably worse specs.

Not expecting much, unfortunately.

Charge it back to your credit of debit card for a full refund as it was falsely advertised as being GPU upgradable. Or take it to the small claims court.

If you need any images of MSI making the claim I am happy to help. Remember the class action case against MSI for this is still ongoing in the USA.

Associate
Charge it back to your credit of debit card for a full refund as it was falsely advertised as being GPU upgradable. Or take it to the small claims court.

If you need any images of MSI making the claim I am happy to help. Remember the class action case against MSI for this is still ongoing in the USA.

I suppose small claims / trading standards is an option, but I really don't want to have it come to that. I've created a ticket about the trade-in program and they told me they'd pass my contact details onto someone, but I still haven't heard a response over a week later.

Associate
So, I have a MSI GT72 2QD purchased in December of 2015 (from Overclockers) which apparently is upgradable with MXM.

Reading through this thread MXM upgrades are not available but discounted trade-in's are, in summary where should I start?

@Loki could you point me in the right direction please?

Associate
OP
If I was @Loki and had said the trade-in scam was closed, I'd now say it would be looked at on a case by case basis. (Casually means MSI UK Notebook can avoid responsibility).

@natarie if you are in the office can you clarify if the trade in program is still open to customers that were missold to or would they need to make a small claims court case against MSI UK Notebook?

Back
Top Bottom