Replacing fence post (and ultimately whole fence!)

Commissario
One of our fence posts snapped at the base a few months ago during one of the storms (Rita I think she was) and as it's the bank holiday weekend, it's time to do something about it - Mrs has wanted to replace the whole fence for a while anyway.

I need to work out the best way to remove the remaining post before replacing - it's a wooden post that's snapped at the bottom and has been concreted in. Is the best way to just dig around all of the concrete and then lift the whole lot out?
Also any suggestions/ideas for installing the new post would be great, I've read a few things on B&Q and Wickes but any additional tips would be fab.

Soldato
Take a look at youtube, I remember seeing a few videos suggesting there is a way to lever the concrete base out but now idea how feasible that would be in the real world.

Associate
Why?

If you are replacing entire fence, start off with a short length panel at one end, then you can leave the old concrete in and not have to dig any of the old out - unless you intend just replacing the old panels and keeping the old post.
A lot easier doing it that way than digging out the old concrete and getting rid of it.

Last edited:
Associate
Why?

If you are replacing entire fence, start off we a short length panel at one end, then you can leave the old concrete in and not have to dig any of the old out - unless you intend just replacing the old panels and keeping the old post.
A lot easier doing it that way than digging out the old concrete and getting rid of it.

This is what I done too, a few of the old timer posts were rotten whilst some were ok, but knew they would eventually go the same way.

Cut them off at the concrete and set the new concrete posts from the other end of the garden so to miss the old posts.

Back
Top Bottom