• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 56 Owners Thread

Associate
Also for those of you who received the cards, are there any cables etc included? I know these come with 3x dp and 1x hdmi - my monior currently uses 1x dualdvi, with no DP on it - am i going to have to order an adapter for this (and will that still allow 120hz).
nothing more than foam, the card, and some pieces of paper. Not sure on the 120hz, but I use an active DP->DVI adapter for my 2nd screen and it didn't complain

Associate
Male version of having the painters in?

Just had mine confirmed as being on backlog - and was told expecting more stock 'soon' - question is, is soon 1 hour, 1 day, 1 week, 1 month :(

I was told "more stock is due over the next few days based upon the information I was given previously" when I inquired as to the ETA of the next shipment of Vega 56 cards this morning.

Associate
nothing more than foam, the card, and some pieces of paper. Not sure on the 120hz, but I use an active DP->DVI adapter for my 2nd screen and it didn't complain

I have a funny feeling the DP to DVI passive connectors only support 60hz, and the active variants are v expensive

Man of Honour
I have a funny feeling the DP to DVI passive connectors only support 60hz, and the active variants are v expensive

I will be putting 3x active DP to D-DVI on MM over the next couple of days along with my rx480. I think they were only like £20 each for active ones or there about. I wont be needing them anyway :)

Soldato
Mine on order, went for good old MSI again. I am going to retire my GTX 1080 Ti (Pass on to family, or MM) and be having the first all AMD build in years !

Vega 56 performance / price looks great to me.
AMD should love that :D Post a shot of your cards with that caption to their facebook or something lol

DPD have given me a 12 to 1 time slot. That makes it 22 hours to travel 22 miles. Could I be the slowest delivery?

I used to work for a courier, its possible they had to send the parcel far more then 22 miles to a regional sorting office. Depends how they are setup

Soldato
my monior currently uses 1x dualdvi, with no DP on it - am i going to have to order an adapter for this (and will that still allow 120hz).
If you want 120Hz you will need an active (signal converting, not pass through) DP to DL DVI adaptor, they're not cheap (£80+). This was the same with the Fury too IIRC.

Last edited:
Associate
I have just bought a couple of Vega 56, being delivered today. Gonna have a play with one, then either use in a second rig or sell on we shall see.

Not sure why anyone would replace a 1080ti with a Vega56 though, that seems slightly crazy.

Soldato
Not sure why anyone would replace a 1080ti with a Vega56 though, that seems slightly crazy.

Would make sense on high resolution where actual fps difference is quite small yet freesync would make gaming experience far more fluid. Or perhaps compute perrformance...is compute performance better on vega 56 than 1080Ti?

Associate
Would make sense on high resolution where actual fps difference is quite small yet freesync would make gaming experience far more fluid. Or perhaps compute perrformance...is compute performance better on vega 56 than 1080Ti?

I had a Vega 64 for a short period, my 1080TI was notably better at all resolutions especially 4k.. I imagine this will be echoed further by the Vega 56. But Freesync is a good reason, adaptive sync is a superb technology.

Framerates are between 20-30 fps faster in many places at higher resolutions, and even more at lower resolutions.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11717/the-amd-radeon-rx-vega-64-and-56-review/8

Soldato
I had a Vega 64 for a short period, my 1080TI was notably better at all resolutions especially 4k.. I imagine this will be echoed further by the Vega 56. But Freesync is a good reason, adaptive sync is a superb technology.

Checked Witcher 3 benches at 4k, 1080Ti pulling 66fps average vs 39 Vega 56, yeah even with freesync it would be hard to pick vega over 1080Ti.

In some games though at 4k fps difference can be lower, like in bf1 there is only 17fps difference (73fps vs 56fps) in which case vega would be far better option due to freesync.

Associate
I will be putting 3x active DP to D-DVI on MM over the next couple of days along with my rx480. I think they were only like £20 each for active ones or there about. I wont be needing them anyway :)

care to share what you were using out of interest? were they capable of 120hz @ 1080p and if so where are you going to list them :D

Man of Honour
OP
I've got a delivery sometime after 11am. I plan to fit the OcUK Tech Labs AIO GPU cooler to a reference Sapphire RX Vega 56. I can monitor every reading with HWiNFo. Also goes to my G15 LCD. I'm upgrading from an Asus DCII 280X top (1140/1300Mhz, default 1070/1600Mhz).

First pic:
http://imgur.com/a/T8OuH
5kmg1

I thought that a memento of the start of CUDA might be appropriate.

See Link -> http://imgur.com/ryZGnsD

How do you post pictures to this site anyhow?

ryZGnsD
well here it is

20170829_121651_zpsezfo1axt.jpg
back home, card installed. undervolted and upped the power limit. Not a bad buy so far

s51cnDx.png.jpg

Welcome and on TROH.:)

The Roll of Honour.

EuNNNmA.jpg

Date 29/08/2017, Make Reference Air, Disjunto, Link
Date 29/08/2017, Make Reference Air, old gamer, Link
Date 29/08/2017, Make Reference Air, FelixB, Link
Date 29/08/2017, Make Reference Air, megatron, Link

To get on the Roll of Honour all you have to do is post a pic with your user name on it of your Vega 56.

Soldato
care to share what you were using out of interest? were they capable of 120hz @ 1080p and if so where are you going to list them :D
Sorry to break it to you but if he paid £20 for them then they will be single link DVI adapters unless he got a mega discount.

There are three types of DP-DVI adapters:
Passive, which work natively with cards that support them (usually bearing the DP++) and the cards adapts the signal. These are usually rated for 1080p 60Hz.
Active SL, which have chips that convert the signal. These are usually rated for 1920x1200 60Hz.
Active DL, which have chips that convert the signal. These are usually rated for 2560x1600 60Hz but can do higher refresh at lower res.

Associate
For people who didn't receive their cards today, the stock should be arriving within the next few days according to OCUK support.

Man of Honour
OP
Here she is :D

Welcome and on TROH.:)

The Roll of Honour.

EuNNNmA.jpg

Date 29/08/2017, Make Reference Air, docsonic, Link
Date 29/08/2017, Make Reference Air, Disjunto, Link
Date 29/08/2017, Make Reference Air, old gamer, Link
Date 29/08/2017, Make Reference Air, FelixB, Link
Date 29/08/2017, Make Reference Air, megatron, Link

To get on the Roll of Honour all you have to do is post a pic with your user name on it of your Vega 56.

Man of Honour

Now you are asking. I threw them into a box when I replaced my monitor a few weeks back. One is an active sapphire dongle which has 0 info on it. Literally nothing, no part numbers not a thing. I then have a pair of startech dongles that when I put them into google suggests that they are in fact passive adapters (who knew) worked with my eyefinity setup anyway. There must be some way of finding out what this saphire one actually is. I remember it being £40 or more around a year or two ago. My guess is that these aren't going to be cut out for these newer higher refresh rate monitors. I would test but not sure how seen as if this saphire one is the one I think it is then it doesn't support the 4k res of my screen. hmm perhaps I won't bother putting them on MM after all.

Associate
Sorry to break it to you but if he paid £20 for them then they will be single link DVI adapters unless he got a mega discount.

There are three types of DP-DVI adapters:
Passive, which work natively with cards that support them (usually bearing the DP++) and the cards adapts the signal. These are usually rated for 1080p 60Hz.
Active SL, which have chips that convert the signal. These are usually rated for 1920x1200 60Hz.
Active DL, which have chips that convert the signal. These are usually rated for 2560x1600 60Hz but can do higher refresh at lower res.

yep - which is what im afraid of, pretty much resigns me to running at 60hz untill i can replace my monitors with something which either had dp's on or hdpi 1.4a or higher :(
my w2363d's do not have either at the mo.

Back
Top Bottom