LG 34UC79G 34" or Samsung C27FG70 27" - can't decide...

Associate
My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £838.98
(includes shipping: £0.00)

So into my 9th month of trying to decide which monitor to buy to go with a recent new build (1080 GPU). Was just about set on the Samsung but the the LG gets £100 off and i'm really struggling to decide for £40 difference between the screens.

On one hand I think I like the higher PPI and VA screen for better blacks (still not sure if quantum dots are a gimmick or make a real difference?) But then, as my wife is always telling me, size matters and the larger real estate is very attractive. I can't see any other differences? (both 144Hz, 2 yr warranty etc).

Seeing some positive feedback in LG thread, not so much for the Samsung - any feedback from owners?

Which screen would you go for and why? (really want to purchase in next day or two).
tyia

Soldato
1080p 34" is a bit too low PPI. I had the newer version of the Samsung, but I sent it back.
The LG is good value for money, but I think 1080p 34" would just be too ugly for desktop.

Both have pros and cons

Associate
On the benefits of Quantum Dot, I can confirm that it makes a difference and those Samsung screens look hugely better than TN monitors. They also have much deeper blacks.

For the LG, I would be concerned about its low PPI which may not be an issue in games, but will be noticeable everywhere else.

If your budget is that high, why not get the Dell S2417DG? It's a 24in, 1440p, 165hz monitor with G-Sync (so works with your GTX 1080). Or are you set on a 27inch+ monitor? I find that for fast-paced FPS games 24in is the best size. 27in is too big.

What sort of games do you play?

Last edited:
Soldato
I'd be aiming for closer to 100ppi, just for clarity.
IPS backlight bleed

How is IPS "better colour" when the samung is pretty darn good. Samsung isn't perfect as I had one, but no way is IPS backlight bleed passable.

Associate
OP
On the benefits of Quantum Dot, I can confirm that it makes a difference and those Samsung screens look hugely better than TN monitors. They also have much deeper blacks.

For the LG, I would be concerned about its low PPI which may not be an issue in games, but will be noticeable everywhere else.

If your budget is that high, why not get the Dell S2417DG? It's a 24in, 1440p, 165hz monitor with G-Sync (so works with your GTX 1080). Or are you set on a 27inch+ monitor? I find that for fast-paced FPS games 24in is the best size. 27in is too big.

What sort of games do you play?

I did look at that option but iirc it's tn? I've never had an IPS screen and kinda have my heart set on IPS/VA rather than screen size. I'm slightly concerned the 34" maybe too big as I sit about 1 meter max from my current monitor.

I should have said, this is purely for gaming. I guess I will do some internet browsing, but 90% of time will be gaming. Games tend to be World of Warships, Warframe, Ark, Andromeda (was on the list, but maybe not now) and mainly Star Citizen if it's ever released :(

I have spent hours looking at 272 IPS 1440p G-Sync screens but I just can't justify in my mind spending £600+ on a monitor after the money I spent on a new PC recently. £350-£400 really is my preferred budget hence the LG vs Samsung question.

Soldato
I did look at that option but iirc it's tn? I've never had an IPS screen and kinda have my heart set on IPS/VA rather than screen size. I'm slightly concerned the 34" maybe too big as I sit about 1 meter max from my current monitor.

I should have said, this is purely for gaming. I guess I will do some internet browsing, but 90% of time will be gaming. Games tend to be World of Warships, Warframe, Ark, Andromeda (was on the list, but maybe not now) and mainly Star Citizen if it's ever released :(

I have spent hours looking at 272 IPS 1440p G-Sync screens but I just can't justify in my mind spending £600+ on a monitor after the money I spent on a new PC recently. £350-£400 really is my preferred budget hence the LG vs Samsung question.

Higher PPI for games mean you less likely need to have AA. Where a low PPI you may find jaggies unacceptable, the extra detail on higher PPI means you may not need it. Also useful for "sniping" games where you need high detail.

Associate
OP
IPS backlight bleed

How is IPS "better colour" when the samung is pretty darn good. Samsung isn't perfect as I had one, but no way is IPS backlight bleed passable.

Didn't you try the 25" Samsung hornetstinger? (I maybe getting mixed up) I nearly went with that but then realised it was 21:9 ratio and you lose a fair bit of screen estate (iirc?) Iv'e seen positive reviews (Linus and others) for the LG in terms of colours and Lims Cave stated he liked the original Samsung over the new one soon to be released (although I didn't really understand the technical reasons behind this).

I was worried that 1080p ppi would be too low, but this pc + monitor is going to have to last me a good 4/5 years and 1440p might start to strain my gpu in a couple of years with new, higher demanding games? Wouldn't 1080p be easier to drive future games?

Soldato
Didn't you try the 25" Samsung hornetstinger? (I maybe getting mixed up) I nearly went with that but then realised it was 21:9 ratio and you lose a fair bit of screen estate (iirc?) Iv'e seen positive reviews (Linus and others) for the LG in terms of colours and Lims Cave stated he liked the original Samsung over the new one soon to be released (although I didn't really understand the technical reasons behind this).

I was worried that 1080p ppi would be too low, but this pc + monitor is going to have to last me a good 4/5 years and 1440p might start to strain my gpu in a couple of years with new, higher demanding games? Wouldn't 1080p be easier to drive future games?

I tried the 24" 16:9 144hz VA panel. 1080p is fine, but it must be a certain size to get decent. For a monitor, for me I'd want it around 95-100ppi. Yes 1080p will be easier on the GPU, but I would not use a large screen PPI (monitor) My plasma TV is 1080p 50" but that is totally different kettle of fish.

My existing monitor is 10 years old, and back then 1920x1200 was a very high resolution, but I'm glad I bought this instead of whatever was available back then, because it's still a decent PPI.

2560x1080 is probably better at 29" UW. But I find 29" UW not tall enough, as that is lower in physical height than my 24" 16:10, and I found the drop in height by going from 24" 16:10 to 24" 16:9 - 1" vertically quite a big one.

Associate
OP
Save a bit more for a 1440p ultrawide :)

Lol a bit more? think we are talking £800+ for 34" 1440? I can't bring myself to spend that much money - I also need a new tv and can get 55-60" for similar price!!

I was looking at the AOC Agon 27" IPS 1440 G-Sync joby at £600 and even thats a bit rich for me. I do have the money, it's more a mental block of spending that much...

I tried the 24" 16:9 144hz VA panel. 1080p is fine, but it must be a certain size to get decent. For a monitor, for me I'd want it around 95-100ppi. Yes 1080p will be easier on the GPU, but I would not use a large screen PPI (monitor) My plasma TV is 1080p 50" but that is totally different kettle of fish.

My existing monitor is 10 years old, and back then 1920x1200 was a very high resolution, but I'm glad I bought this instead of whatever was available back then, because it's still a decent PPI.

2560x1080 is probably better at 29" UW. But I find 29" UW not tall enough, as that is lower in physical height than my 24" 16:10, and I found the drop in height by going from 24" 16:10 to 24" 16:9 - 1" vertically quite a big one.

Ah ok, I was close, I have been all over these forums for last 9 months going round in circles lol Yeah my current monitor is 22" Samsung syncmaster that must be nearly 10 years old! I like to get my value for money, which is why i'm struggling so much on new monitor. I selected CPU/Mobo/GPU/RAM/PSU etc within a week after reading reviews - no probs at all, but totally indecisive over monitor.

I remember you saying about vertical height which was what stopped me getting that same screen. So went back to 27" screens until I saw the LG sale.

With both of the above screens having near identical PPI, would you go for the LG or Samsung? or neither lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
IPS backlight bleed

I meant that the Samsung and LG had better colours against the Dell.

Ah ok, I was close, I have been all over these forums for last 9 months going round in circles lol Yeah my current monitor is 22" Samsung syncmaster that must be nearly 10 years old! I like to get my value for money, which is why i'm struggling so much on new monitor. I selected CPU/Mobo/GPU/RAM/PSU etc within a week after reading reviews - no probs at all, but totally indecisive over monitor.

I remember you saying about vertical height which was what stopped me getting that same screen. So went back to 27" screens until I saw the LG sale.

With both of the above screens having near identical PPI, would you go for the LG or Samsung? or neither lol
For gaming I would get neither. They offer better colours than TN, but as a whole they fall down in too many areas when gaming is the main purpose. I think if you've got a GTX 1080, and are spending around £400 anyway, you should be considering G-Sync monitors.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato

Both have pros and cons

LG-
pros- At £388, it's about the right price, huge screen, vertically and of course horizontally, ultra wide, 144hz, good colours, good menu system/
cons But IPS backlight bleed, also it's a bit too big, until I get a bigger desk (literally have to take out the standmount speakers). For the size, it's too low resolution, so windows may look a bit pap, and games too for sniping/jaggies. Also at 1080 vertically it's less pixels than my 24" samsung. Apparently not high contrast.

Samsung
pros-affordable at £265, good size horizontally but bit lacking in physical height. 144hz, good colours, and viewing angles, good blacks and even backlight. Very high contrast. Decent menu.
cons- vertically not high enough, losing pixels and 1" in height again to to 24" samsung. Blocky text in BIOS and windows setup, so unusable. Not very good stand.

Associate
Both have pros and cons

LG-
pros- At £388, it's about the right price, huge screen, vertically and of course horizontally, ultra wide, 144hz, good colours, good menu system/
cons But IPS backlight bleed, also it's a bit too big, until I get a bigger desk (literally have to take out the standmount speakers). For the size, it's too low resolution, so windows may look a bit pap, and games too for sniping/jaggies. Also at 1080 vertically it's less pixels than my 24" samsung. Apparently not high contrast.

Samsung
pros-affordable at £265, good size horizontally but bit lacking in physical height. 144hz, good colours, and viewing angles, good blacks and even backlight. Very high contrast. Decent menu.
cons- vertically not high enough, losing pixels and 1" in height again to to 24" samsung. Blocky text in BIOS and windows setup, so unusable. Not very good stand.
The blocky text in bios issue I didn't experience myself, and haven't seen many other reports on it elsewhere. I don't think it's common.

Back
Top Bottom