MSI GAMING LAPTOP OWNERS ARENA

Associate
OP
Just thought I'd chip in for anyone interested in the MSI laptops, I got the 4K version of the MSI GS63VR and overall I love the laptop but it has a few annoyances.

1) The power button being bottom right is a silly place to have it. I've disabled the power button now due to accidentally switching it off a few times when grabbing the laptop to move it slightly.
2) Mouse input freezes for a few seconds every now and then which is very annoying (using Logitech MX Master with bluetooth).
3) Wireless speed isn't as fast as it should be, I've given up on that now but the Killer network cards seem to have a bit of a bad rep and rightly so from my experiences.
4) Desktop sometimes goes black and wallpaper disappears, I'm running a second monitor extended desktop setup, so that may be upsetting it.

Saying that, this is the first ever laptop I've had that replaced a desktop (3770K, 980, 16GB, Vertex 4 SSD) and FEELS like a desktop. It's snappy, powerful, runs games and VR stuff with ease (Nvidia 1060) and my god, it's so slim!

Overall, I think the problems annoy me a lot because it's such a great laptop, that those not so major niggles stop it from being perfect. The mouse freezing is a problem but hopefully an update somewhere will solve it, and Killer will fix the slow wireless issues...
My MXmaster does the same thing but not very often .

Just out of interest, those with 6820HK or 7820HK what sort of clocks are you getting when pushing the CPU?

(my 6820HK is pushing 4.5Ghz and hopefully a little more after liquid ultra repaste).
Not tried , will do it once i have moved house as don't have the time or the resources yet .ive only maxed out the sliders . dont want to break laptop as i have an expensive rig that i use for overclocking .

Be warned about liquid ultra though . 1 tiny tiny mistake will fry the machine and most of all i wouldn't of mentioned it on here that your re-pasting when if you do faff it up then Gigabyte are not going to honour warranty . liquid metal is DANGEROUS ..just use the next best thing Thermal Grizzly as that's what im going to use .

I have also solved my keyboard lighting problem . it was the steel series app that was changing to another default as i must have pressed the steel series switch on the left side of the machine and no matter what you do in dragon center app with LEDs the steel series app overwrites it . so now Solved !!

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
On mine, the GS 63VR it seems to be split in to three sections for key colour. Left, middle and right. I know some of the other manufacturers can have individual keys lit but not on the MSI (afaik).

Associate
OP
been away for a bit due t moving house and being busy in the sun .. My machine is still going great .. cant really update the last 6 weeks of updates due to being on a metrered connection with only 32GB to last a month as i have no phone line in new built house (a mistake by open reach). managed to download nvidia drivers at my missis work lol .

Soldato
Gents,

First time posting in here, I've got a Gx70 and while now getting on a bit its been great for gaming while I'm away and stuff. However now I'm having issues with windows 10. It was working while I was away last and thought nothing about sticking it back in its bag for the next time I was away. Fired it up sunday and all was fine.

Fast forward to today and thanks to windows 10 auto updates it is now a paperweight. I'm unable to use the switchable graphics as it has removed them and cosntantly runs on the lesser GPU so is useless for gaming.

I'm trying to download the latest drivers but thanks to the rubbish internet speed its going to take hours before I can even found out if it works.

Anyone else had this issue? It was great with win 8 but since upgrading to win 10 it just does what it wants downloading updates in the background and this isnt the first time I've had issues, last time it bricked itself when I had no internet thanks to corrupt driver.

Associate
Hugodra said:
Whats your laptop?

Sent the laptop to msi, they installed BIOS 86.04.5B.00.82 and limits 1070 clock to 1443mhz.

Msi told me they are working with nvidia to resolve this issue, but it seems is taking a lot of time and the 6RE version of this laptop, from August 2016, suffers from this.

This needs to be in the official FAQ laptop page, for warning people that are interested in buying a msi laptop with 1070 gtx.

- Bios version installed by MSI, 86.04.5B.00.82, DEBUG vBIOS, clocks 1443/3606
- Dragon Gaming Center / Turbo mode does not work
- Loss of 5/10 fps on games and benchmarks
- Loss of 600mhz, before it could reach 1900mhz while playing games
- Affects other MSI models with 1070, GT73VR, GT62VR, GT72VR
- The GT72VR 6RE, laptop from August 2016, has this issue, so its been months and no official fix

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=281110.0

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=280126.100

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=281873.0

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=276367.0

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=278750.0

Associate
Just got my MSI GE62VR 7RF(Apache Pro)-462UK. Spent a lot of time looking at other gaming laptops and finally decided on this one as it had I7 and a 1060 graphics card. Currently still setting it up and transferring over everything from my old Laptop HP Envy.

Love the keyboard and the number pad, that was my first wow in seeing this laptop. The back light is awesome especial as I can colour design and personalise it to my preference.
Have tested out Ark on this Laptop full settings {always played on low} and OMG it was great!. The fans are not as noisy as I was lead to believe on some of the reviews, but yes when you have the turbo fans on you do hear it but its better than a fried Laptop.

I am not a fan of mouse pads so I have disabled it and use my external mouse.
The sound is great we watched Rogue One and played Ark and I have no complaints.

My only irritation is really the DvD RW, I did not want this as I never use it.
And that upon set up it asks that you back up the machine which I would have done but I would not let me on my external hard drive only giving me the option of disks and USB.
It recognised my hard drive but would not let me choose it to back up.

I am very happy with the purchase and the machine runs well while doing all my gaming as of yet but again I am still fine tuning all the bells and whistles.

Overall Fantastic machine and I am looking forward to gaming with it.
I will definitely recommend it to friends.

Soldato
YAY SOLVED.

Ever since owning the GS60 ghost I've had wifi issues when gaming. Running ping -t 8.8.8.8 will show 20ms reliably when running on the embedded GPU, but the second a game switches to the Nvidia chipset the ping times go stupid jumping around to 600ms and dropping packets. The result in a game is predictable - terrible lag !

I've tried everything, changing channel spacing, power modes, 2.4 and 5GHz, driver versions, bios versions, options like active association settings and all to no avail. Basicallly the Intel AC7260 is rubbish - it just doesn't work when gaming.

last weekend I had enough, I'd forgotten the 10m ethernet cable and was unable to use the laptop for the reason I had bought it. I did some digging and ended up buying a M2 format Intel AC8265 wifi module.

Uninstalled the old drivers, took the back of the laptop and swapped it over. The result fixed the problem. Solid 20ms with very occasional 40ms but that is it. Cost was about £20. Well worth it.

Associate
anyone else have issues on gt72 7re version with 1080gtx after updating to latest NVidia/experience, shadow play won't record now or start it just says "sorry that didn't work try restarting"

I've tried full reinstall and clean up of drivers etc but still it won't work for me :(

Associate
ive just bought a GT73VR 7RF and it's a cracking laptop. one thing ive noticed since updating drivers was the button to switch from gtx1080 to the onboard cpu graphics gives me a error message when I pressit. anyone have the same issue?

Associate
OP
ive just bought a GT73VR 7RF and it's a cracking laptop. one thing ive noticed since updating drivers was the button to switch from gtx1080 to the onboard cpu graphics gives me a error message when I pressit. anyone have the same issue?
I Have the exact same laptop and I get the same error message but soon as I restart laptop it has changed to on board and vice versa .

Not sure what the error is . My temps has risen pretty high too with CPU getting to 80c when it's only being utilized about 45% on games . Need to repaste I think with some Thermal grizzly . I think when the laptop is new the temps are amazing but once worn in they are terrible .

Associate
OK fixed shadow play full reinstalled...

I meant I have 7rf by the way.

Tempes are high for guild wars 2 imo although its old and badly optimised and I run on ultra settings..

Im running in sport mode and if I leave fans on auto the temps get over 70c!! And the fans never seem to kick in.... So I either have to have coolerboost on which is insanely loud or do custom settings so the fan stays around 3krpm to keep the sound bareable and temps below 60c do not use auto you will probably fry your pc.

I used to have issues with the button also however updating to latest scm and dragon centre with the recommended bios updates resolved this swiftly.

Try this also go nvidia gpu mode install nvidia drivers then reboot in Intel mode and update the drivers whilst using Intel gpu then it should work fine.

Associate
not sure if this is allowed but i got great help with the GT73VR 7RF titan pro model 1080gtx here - http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/msi-gt73vr-7rf-titan-pro-drivers.800622/

there is all the latest drivers and a suggested order to install them and advice on how not to get black screens or driver issues (as well as certain drivers to avoid know issues etc)

do a full clean install and install drivers and you will have 0 issues and good performance :)

Associate
Hey everyone, I've managed to get a GT62VR 7RE at a great price. I was happy with the specs and it arrived today.

It's been years since I've owned a windows laptop, I've noticed that this one also has a lot of bloatware installed from the get go. How much of it do I actually need? If any?

Any tips would be great, currently downloading some games to enjoy.

Associate
What bloatware?

First thing I do is do a full format usually of a new system update BIOS/FIRMWARE then install new drivers.

If you mean bloatware as in dragon centre and SCM I would keep these as they manage your performance and fan speeds etc and overclock.

One thing I would get rid of though is the killer wireless suite and just get the driver only. I have heard MANY complaints about this wireless suite messing with your speeds, I uninstall it and getting better pings/speeds now.

Associate
OP
well this is an update on my GT73VR 7RF Titan PRo .. its been fantastic and running cool as now i re-pasted it with some grizzly and im getting between 5-10c cooler. gave fans a good blow out with compressed air and swabs while they were out the machine . i use my latop every day and more than my main rig too .

Associate
Ordered the Titan Pro GT7VR 6RF so hoping to get my hands on it soon.

My concerns are the CPU being a 6700HQ and the SSD knly being 128gb.

Thats offset by a 1080 GPU at under 2k.

Back
Top Bottom